Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I find it pointless to comment without having more information.

It'll come down to whether it was reasonable force or not. If the guy was going to kill her, then fine. But if he was begging for his life, unarmed and she killed him in cold blood, then I don't see why she should be exempt from the law. Murder is murder if it's not self defence or by accident.

And the people who are saying people deserve to die for breaking and entering are warped. The punishment doesn't fit the crime unless the person was threatening to kill you. But according to some people here, someone with the intent to steal something of value and leave is worth someone's life.

And you wonder why your country has such a violent culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    She could him at gunpoint while calling the police, telling him to not move
    too risky, what if he charges and takes the gun

heck some people can do that while taking a shot, best to shoot at least 6 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    Without knowing the full facts of the case, I would say there most likely would have been a way to avoid shooting the guy, and that would have been the best. However, I would also say that expecting a panicing mother whose children have been placed under threat in the middle of the night in her home, to figure out and pull it off without putting herself and her children under threat is too much to demand.
    One fact I know, if he hadn't been there, he would still be alive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    I find it pointless to comment without having more information.

It'll come down to whether it was reasonable force or not. If the guy was going to kill her, then fine. But if he was begging for his life, unarmed and she killed him in cold blood, then I don't see why she should be exempt from the law. Murder is murder if it's not self defence or by accident.

And the people who are saying people deserve to die for breaking and entering are warped. The punishment doesn't fit the crime unless the person was threatening to kill you. But according to some people here, someone with the intent to steal something of value and leave is worth someone's life.

And you wonder why your country has such a violent culture.
    Our violent culture is mostly gang and drug violence, it's not women defending their children.

Deleted
    America has a long way to go if they find this a justified killing..

Which is a surprise to noone in the actual civilised world

I love you guys but your view on crime & (capital) punishment (combined with your gun ho gun culture) is pretty archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    My first thought was ok, no problem here. Then I had to stop and wonder what was she doing out with a 5 year old at 1 am? Kids that age need structured sleep.
    Maybe they were coming back from the grandparents. Some kids, usually younger than 5, will wake up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep until you drive them a few laps around the neighborhood. It's a good thing the other kid wasn't left alone.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2016-06-27 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Our violent culture is mostly gang and drug violence, it's not women defending their children.
    When you have your average run of the mill person saying that breaking and entering is worth death, no matter the extenuating circumstances, it runs deeper than just gang and drug culture.

Hang on, weren't you on another thread advocating glue traps, y'know, the trap that's notorious for torturing its victims?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for her. I'm glad her and her kids are safe.

And fuck that guy that broke into her place.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

When you have your average run of the mill person saying that breaking and entering is worth death, no matter the extenuating circumstances, it runs deeper than just gang and drug culture.

Hang on, weren't you on another thread advocating glue traps, y'know, the trap that's notorious for torturing its victims?
    There's a difference between being in the living room and being in the kids room with kids

Not sure what the problem here is. I can only imagine how horrifying that would be to have to find out there is a grown man hiding in your kid's bedroom, literally a worst fear come true type of scenario. It would be stupid to tell the guy to "not move", in that type of situation, they literally have nothing to lose, as they know they will go to jail if they get caught so the person stands a good chance of trying to distract you and then go for your weapon. Not to mention the fact that the guy could've had a weapon himself concealed.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It is the law in some states which says a homeowner has the right to resort to deadly force if a intruder breaks into their residence. The reason for this is people can not read the mind of the intruder to know if they mean them harm or not. And the time you have to decide is a matter of a second or two. So it is not just random people saying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really have to wonder, in all the reasons why americans say they need guns, the most logical reason would be for a situation like this, of a mother defending her home and children from intruders. And yet your own laws can't even give this a reasonable outcome, so what is the point of you having guns in the first place?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There's a difference between being in the living room and being in the kids room with kids
    What difference is that in the middle of the night, where the person is likely not to know it's a children's bedroom? Or goes in the first room to hide from the homeowner? Or assumes there's something of value, like an iphone/tablet?

All I'm saying is that you don't really know what he was doing there. Hell, do we even know if he was threatening to kill? Or pleading for his life?

For someone who doesn't have the answer to any of these questions, you sure seem to think that you do.

Good for her, and LOL and all the stupid shot em in the kneecaps or knock em out crap, people watch WAY too much TV....

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    She could him at gunpoint while calling the police, telling him to not move
    Dig a little into Oregon History.

Particularly the one case where a woman called the Police cause her ex-boyfriend was threatening to beat and rape her while attempting to break into her house. The 911 response? Ask him to leave cause they currently HAVE NO COPS ON DUTY TO SEND HELP TO HER. She was beaten and raped.

Hate to make you the "victim" in this but I am soooo sick of people saying "shoulda called the Police instead" crap. HE BROKE INTO A HOUSE, PERIOD. He CHOSE to violate the law and I do not care if he was trying to steal s piece of gum. It's a VERY VERY simple matter. if you don't want to get shot, don't go trespassing. Easy Peasy. I'm a very strong supporter of Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground.

What difference is that in the middle of the night, where the person is likely not to know it's a children's bedroom? Or goes in the first room to hide from the homeowner? Or assumes there's something of value, like an iphone/tablet?

All I'm saying is that you don't really know what he was doing there. Hell, do we even know if he was threatening to kill? Or pleading for his life?

For someone who doesn't have the answer to any of these questions, you sure seem to think that you do.
    You must live a really sheltered life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is the law in some states which says a homeowner has the right to resort to deadly force if a intruder breaks into their residence. The reason for this is people can not read the mind of the intruder to know if they mean them harm or not. And the time you have to decide is a matter of a second or two. So it is not just random people saying it.
    Okay, if it's a law in that state, fair enough then.

I prefer due legal course over pure vigilantism though. I don't think it's right to take someone's life for entering someone's home and robbing them, unless it was done for self-defence (imminent danger to one's own life).

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    lol I knew it wouldn't take long

Let me guess, no kids?
    lol I knew it wouldn't take long

Let me guess, strong believer in "Shoot them all and let God sort them out"?

As for the incident itself, it really depends on how it all played out. There are more than a few questions starting with:
    - What the heck was the mother doing out until past 1:00 am with a 5 year old and a 10 year old? (That should raise a big yellow flag for anyone with half a brain)
    - Did the mother shoot first and ask questions later?
    - Did the mother attempt to hold the man at bay who then rushed her forcing her to shoot?
    - Who was the intruder?
    - Did they know each other? Was there a previous encounter somewhere?

Until many of these questions are answered, we really don't know enough to be good judges. While I am all for people being able to defend themselves, finding someone in your house is not a good reason by itself to just kill people. One of the whole points of having a superior weapon is to be able to contain someone until cops arrive. Indiscriminately taking life should not be the first option.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Dig a little into Oregon History.

Particularly the one case where a woman called the Police cause her ex-boyfriend was threatening to beat and rape her while attempting to break into her house. The 911 response? Ask him to leave cause they currently HAVE NO COPS ON DUTY TO SEND HELP TO HER. She was beaten and raped.

Hate to make you the "victim" in this but I am soooo sick of people saying "shoulda called the Police instead" crap. HE BROKE INTO A HOUSE, PERIOD. He CHOSE to violate the law and I do not care if he was trying to steal s piece of gum. It's a VERY VERY simple matter. if you don't want to get shot, don't go trespassing. Easy Peasy. I'm a very strong supporter of Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground.
    Yep. In some places it can take a long time for the police to reach your residence. Plus the Supreme Court ruled the police have no legal obligation to protect a citizen. . Their duties are to enforce the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You must live a really sheltered life.
    Yeah, because disagreeing with pitch-forked vigilantism really must mean that I do.

I don't see the problem, would have done the same without a doubt. The mother = the only one that knows how she felt in the situation, I doubt she pulled the trigger just for shits and giggles.