Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    In respect of Britain, cocaine for the middle class and cheap alcohol for the working class.
    cocaine stopped being middle class years ago, now it's ecstasy champagne

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That's not really true. There are a lot of people that go mad if they don't have a job. My dad looked for work and was getting very depressed for 2 years after getting laid off at 67. Only recently has he been able to get over it by focusing on house improvement and going back to fixing electronics he finds on the garbage.
    That's not cus he didn't have a job but how society views not having conventional 'work'
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Honestly at this point I fear it's too late.

Assuming Trump gets elected, he'll be up against 2 parties opposing everything he stands for. He'll be even more of a sitting duck than Obama.

Still gonna vote for him of course, but I'm not exactly hopeful. The best we can accomplish is keep Clinton out of office to avoid a complete catastrophe.

But America's soul was sold to international corporations and globalism decades ago.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-06-27 at 03:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    cocaine stopped being middle class years ago, now it's ecstasy champagne
    Don't be silly.

i thought the working/middle class was destroyed when they let the gays live together?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    i thought the working/middle class was destroyed when they let the gays live together?
    Wai wha? o.O

Affordable housing and health care. Especially health care. It does not seem right that you pay more for health insurance than a 300k mortgage. Its not even tax deductible.

Wai wha? o.O
    i was just making fun of politicized generalizations like those this thread is based on

dont mind me

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The EU free travel policy got the EU the Brexit IMO. All those workers in poorer EU countries flooding into Britain.
    They're still in migration denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    No one in the "working class" is suffering because of taxation.

I mean, it's basically a political meme at this point, but the reality is that taxation overall is the least of your issues if you're an average working Joe.
    Not sure I think I'd be a bit happier with more of my money.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Don't be silly.
    No Party Champagne for you

10+ Year Old Account
    No Party Champagne for you
    Scotch and Charlie, the choice of the sophisticated hedonistic gentleman.

Champagne is for the rappers, Russians and Essex girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, and I'd be happier with a lot of things, but largely none of those things are the actual crux of the issue here.
    seems with that extra money I could buy a "lot" of those things, seems to be fairly on point seeing how much I pay into it every year and what I could buy with that money.

Don't believe that old hype money can't buy happiness, for the most part it can.. (or at least let you have a really comfortable misery)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    seems with that extra money I could buy a "lot" of those things, seems to be fairly on point seeing how much I pay into it every year and what I could buy with that money.

Don't believe that old hype money can't buy happiness, for the most part it can.. (or at least let you have a really comfortable misery)
    Like roads and fire departments.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That's not really true. There are a lot of people that go mad if they don't have a job. My dad looked for work and was getting very depressed for 2 years after getting laid off at 67. Only recently has he been able to get over it by focusing on house improvement and going back to fixing electronics he finds on the garbage.
    I didn't say get rid of jobs, I said get rid of the need to work to live. Some form of basic income is going to be required, as the distance between the number of jobs needed, and the number of jobs available shrinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Like roads and fire departments.
    See shared services I don't mind, I don't even mind if it's a temp service we all can have bad luck but I've personally seen it abuse that's were I take issues with it. (Plus if more of that $$ when into roads or the fire Dept I'd be a little less upset about paying it out too)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I didn't say get rid of jobs, I said get rid of the need to work to live. Some form of basic income is going to be required, as the distance between the number of jobs needed, and the number of jobs available shrinks.
    A lot of these people their sense of self worth depends on their job, making a living, making things of value used by society.

They're going to suffer a huge hit to their self esteem.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

A lot of these people their sense of self worth depends on their job, making a living, making things of value used by society.

They're going to suffer a huge hit to their self esteem.
    Maybe they shouldn't derive their self worth from something like that then.
    Have to be careful what you derive your self worth from .
    Gamdwelf the Mage

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So people with less than college educations are getting squeezed economically. They voted for brexit, they might vote Trump in, some of them where Bernie supporters. So they are starting to cause problems and may cause more in the future, mostly they are using the ballot box.

These people had fathers who made good money, could buy houses, a new car occasionally and they didn't have college educations either. They worked at GM or GE, had health insurance with no deductible and unions who looked out for them.

I think globalization is what is hurting these people. Why pay a guy in Peoria IL to fasten a plate on a refrigerator for $28 an hour when you can pay someone in Vietnam or Mexico $3 an hour? In the case of Britain the working class was competing in part with immigrants from poorer EU countries, again immigrants happy with lower pay.

Globalization is good for the rich and bad for the not rich.

How do you fix globalization?
    The problem is ultimately the technocratic minded have no solidarity with the people they are governing, and are a tad delusional. Technocrats will never consider themselves, their families or peers to be up for the choping block, because the working class has no voice in power they will always be considered the expendable acceptable cost of doing business, or making elite people feel good.

First, Trade deals never have labour groups at these negotiations? Were is the voice of labour? environmental groups ect at the discussions for such things as TPP/TTIP or even NAFTA back in the day?

Second, where is labour in any of these discussions on policy?

Third, where is labour in our culture?

Ultimately the elite and professional class have worked very hard to marginalise the working class and largely thrown them and their livelihoods to the wind for self enrichment. Which is why I find it rather odd that now that they strike back some people act with indignant fury, like they have been personally insulted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The EU free travel policy got the EU the Brexit IMO. All those workers in poorer EU countries flooding into Britain.
    Ultimately though it was the influx of North Africa and Middle Eastern migrants, had the EU maintained the outer border the Brexit fight would not have been so dire. But the political and media class in Europe decided "Refugees!" was the new cause celebre and paid no mind to its ill effects and even actively ignored them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.