Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I'd agree... if you're getting a computer just for gaming you want a Windows PC. But many of us use Macs for other reasons and other things and rather than buy a separate computer just to game with, we use the Mac we have for work, etc. I do that.

Yes, this means were' not (mostly) hardcore 'gamers' who have dozens of games on our computer. Some, I'm sure, do. Others just use the Mac. Some of us have consoles for whatever reason.
    The only reason for you to get a Mac over a PC is if you absolutely only want to do music or video producing (and even that is arguable today) or you can't be bothered to ever learn more about how computers work and just want a simple layout to power up, do your facebook daily routine and then shut down.

- - - Updated - - -

None gives a fuck what you think of Apple products. Really, people, grow up. Don't like Apple stuff? Great, don't buy it - but shitting in every thread about them is just fucking immature.
    Then again there's always people complaining their 6+yo lolMac doesn't run a recent game, which is totally bonkers. Maybe those people are purely nuts or just lack the information necessary when making a purchase, and in that case warning people not to waste their money on apple is quite pertinent.

What if I told you it's possible to own a Windows desktop and a Macbook? Did I just blow all of your minds? Pretty sure.
    Whining about Apple products is like the console peasantry cancer which is all over /r/pcmr. Grow the fuck up and realise that not everyone is so infantile as to proclaim one absolutely superior to the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to get into PC gaming, do NOT buy a Mac. It's as simple as that. They may be nice computers for school and artwork, but they are NOT gaming computers. They run games like shit, get SUPER hot, and the majority of PC games are never even Mac compatible because everyone knows they're not really gaming machines. Sure, own a Mac for all that other stuff, I'm not telling you they're garbage. I think they're particularly nice for Photoshop and video editing stuff, but I would NEVER put myself through the pain of trying to use one for gaming. You could build a tower that runs Windows for significantly cheaper that would run games significantly better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Nah, people that have any sense whatsoever when it comes to computers say that Apple products are junk. Last I checked, the highest end Mac available was around 1/3 as powerful as my computer, for about 4x the price. It's not about money. I could afford Apple stuff if I wanted to. I just choose to not throw money away when I can get something much better for cheaper.
    Apple products are equally as powerful but their video cards are not. So it makes them a poor target for higher end games. Apple does demand higher prices for the same product and most people know it as the Apple tax.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    I usually get 20 to 28 fps on the setting above low, I think that's called good or something along those lines
    You're really missing out though. For example a friend texted my wife this in game picture of a battle pet. We were like what the fuck is that? It was a rabbit but it was nothing but a small block with barely any textures because her laptop was so old. We texted her back what it really looks like and it was completely different.

When she upgraded it was like playing an entirely new game. Now I know financially that isn't the solution available to everyone. But I recently bought a 144KHZ monitor myself and it changed the game as well. Playing at over 100fps and actually getting to display those frames correctly is a different experience in itself.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    The only reason for you to get a Mac over a PC is if you absolutely only want to do music or video producing (and even that is arguable today) or you can't be bothered to ever learn more about how computers work and just want a simple layout to power up, do your facebook daily routine and then shut down.
    You're a fucking idiot, like everyone who says shit like this. Hi... developer here. Out of the box, the Unix underpinnings (you DO know what Unix is, right?) give me a ton of tools for development that put Windows to shame. I also don't have to worry about the shit build quality on the lower end PCs... and the higher end ones that compete with what I use are about the same cost.

Now, fuck off to your basement and let people who simply want to talk about the issue OP raises have a conversation

- - - Updated - - -

Then again there's always people complaining their 6+yo lolMac doesn't run a recent game, which is totally bonkers. Maybe those people are purely nuts or just lack the information necessary when making a purchase, and in that case warning people not to waste their money on apple is quite pertinent.
    Most 6yo PCs won't run games well either (if they've not been updated with new parts). As I noted in my first post it's reasonable for Blizzard to want something more recent for Legion.

infracted
    Last edited by Splenda; 2016-06-28 at 12:20 AM.

I use a PC for music production, the idea that a Mac is better is a myth unless you need to use Logic. That said people like macs because they are a bit more user friendly to non advanced users, I guess some people just prefer them. What isn't a myth though is that PC's are superior to MACs for gaming and if you're buying for gaming you should always buy a PC.

Maybe you should raise the issue with Blizzard and initiate some more attention around it in the right place (US WoW forums/Twitter), though It does baffle me why someone would wanna use a 2010 Notebook to play Legion, Apple or otherwise.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

You're a fucking idiot, like everyone who says shit like this. Hi... developer here. Out of the box, the Unix underpinnings (you DO know what Unix is, right?) give me a ton of tools for development that put Windows to shame. I also don't have to worry about the shit build quality on the lower end PCs... and the higher end ones that compete with what I use are about the same cost.
    "Let's not talk about which is superior because it's off topic, here's a paragraph about how mine is superior, because when I do it, full of righteous anger, it's fine"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Poor people say apple is a junk products
    Actually anyone that works with computers outside of Internet surfing, light gaming, and word processing will say that apples are junk.

Go ask any programmer or any computer engineer and they will say the same.

Apple makes a decent phone, but as far as computers go they are overpriced status symbols.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    "Let's not talk about which is superior because it's off topic, here's a paragraph about how mine is superior, because when I do it, full of righteous anger, it's fine"
    Especially when talking about development tools, praising a mac when Linux offers so much more for free that runs on a 300$ toaster is hilarious

Disclaimer, I'm a dev

Or, if you don't have the $$ to buy a new Mac and do have the disk space, blow $90 on a Windows license and run it in Bootcamp.

PS: For Mac people - Macs tend to sell for 50-70% of their new price when 3 or 4 years old. It drops off after that, so one strategy is to simply plan on buying a new Mac every 3 or 4 years and budget about half the price of a new one.
    or simply guy a gaming pc/laptop with better parameters based on windows for 1/2 price of i-shit problem solved
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-06-27 at 06:10 PM.

So much defense for apple in such a rage way hahaha

Seriously though, The only reason why apple is such a high price is because of the softwares pre-loaded onto it right out of the box.
    I did a lot of audio engineering and strictly used my mac only for that.

I have a built PC tower for all of my other needs simply because A) What mac offers for 2k anyone else can build for under 1k. and B) When a piece of hardware goes out on my PC. I spend money on just that part and can quickly swap it myself. Mac literally does not want you touching the inside of their product line and wants you to pay them to fix it or buy a whole new comp. No thank you.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Only reason why I have a Mac was because it was supplied to me through the audio engineering school I attended.

Someone metioned that if you are doing some serious video or music work on your computer it might be the reason to buy mac over pc, its NOT CORRECT there is no mac atm even near customs pc for grapics work. There is not even one good reason other then just liking the company mark to buy mac, its not hate i own 6s just cus i like how it looks but its bit difrent then computers you have to work and play on...

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    or: install bootcamp
    This.

I had a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro with an i7 and while the game would run fine when I was questing, the moment I did anything that entered combat with another player, I'd get crazy latency in the 2000-5000ms range. Tested internet, other games, etc. - it was the WoW Mac port. There's a lot of differences in the back-end code between operating systems for the kind of transaction protocols that WoW runs on and while Blizzard did a good job of making a solid port to Mac, optimizing this critical code would basically require a re-write, which they don't have the time to invest in. I bootcamped Windows, installed WoW, and everything worked perfectly with no latency.

You'll never have a great WoW experience on the Mac version. Switch to Windows if it's bothering you enough or stay on the Mac and deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Poor people say apple is a junk products

And Apple people are poor now because they spent their money on junk products. :P

Ha ha! Just kidding, Apple makes fine products.. BUT... PCs and especially white box pc's are better for gaming because you could have just went to the store, bought a 750ti for under $100 and been happy as a clam.

Bootcamp may not fix this issue, if it's the actual hardware and drivers that are the issue. There may just not be any newer drivers for that onboard graphics chipset.

Aren't there always people complaining that new game X doesn't run well on their 4-6 year old system? I remember seeing complaints about BF4 requiring too much and EA\DICE needed to offer more scale down options, just in nVidia pockets to sell cards yada yada! So don't think it's limited to MAC users.

More on topic. is the problem limited to the video cards or that the MACs in question can't run the newer video cards.

I've used Macs exclusively since 2003 and will continue to use Macs and iOS for virtually all my needs. It's far superior to Windows or Android IMO.

But when it comes to games, I finally came to the conclusion this year that it no longer makes sense to pursue gaming on a Mac. You just have to spend so much more for gaming performance and I simply don't need it for any other aspect of my life. So I built a gaming PC a couple months ago in time for Overwatch and I haven't looked back. Gaming PC for gaming and a MacBook Pro for the rest of my life. Perfect.

Buy a used desktop PC, can prolly get a beast for 500 dollar's or less.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

The blue post in question outright says that the hardware falls below Legion's minimum hardware requirements. You shouldn't expect your computer to be able to run it at all, regardless of whether or not the issue is fixed. I can appreciate that it's not always easy to just up and acquire a new computer. When money was incredibly tight for me (it still is) I had to save for months upon months upon still more months to be able to afford a new rig. Admittedly, it doesn't help that Macs are universally overpriced for their hardware. But if you're a dedicated Mac user, that's probably meaningless to you.

It's a shitty situation to be in, and I sympathize. Really, I do. I was without a computer of my own for 3 years, having to use someone else's; but the Legion requirements have been known for a while now. Anyone with a computer below them should have had the foresight to start saving up at that point. It's not on Blizzard, nor even Apple, to cater to you at that juncture. That's the harsh truth. You need a better computer.

None gives a fuck what you think of Apple products. Really, people, grow up. Don't like Apple stuff? Great, don't buy it - but shitting in every thread about them is just fucking immature.
    It is equally immature to expect Blizzard to allow you to run their game below its minimum requirements, just because you expect to run it on 6 year old hardware that was overpriced to begin with. You're being incredibly irresponsible with your money by buying a Mac if your goal is running games. That's simply a fact.

I'd agree... if you're getting a computer just for gaming you want a Windows PC. But many of us use Macs for other reasons and other things and rather than buy a separate computer just to game with, we use the Mac we have for work, etc. I do that.

Yes, this means were' not (mostly) hardcore 'gamers' who have dozens of games on our computer. Some, I'm sure, do. Others just use the Mac. Some of us have consoles for whatever reason.
    If Macs are your computer of choice for work, and your daily routine, that's fine and I totally respect that. But you shouldn't be faulting Blizzard nor Apple for not going out of their way to help you run a modern expansion pack on outdated, overpriced hardware. That's totally unreasonable of you.

You say no one gives a fuck what others think about Apple products, well to that I ask: why should Blizzard give a fuck if you want to run the game they've put so much hard work into on a computer that was never meant to handle it in the first place? And why should we feel bad for you not being capable of running a game - again - on a computer that was never meant to handle it in the first place.

Your responses are far more petulant than those of the people saying you shouldn't expect to be running games well on a Mac, because those people are objectively correct. They aren't designed for gaming, and even the highest end Macs just aren't good computers for the price you pay. You're more than welcome to use them as your computer of choice, but you are being incredibly fucking unreasonable, immature, and downright stupid to expect Blizzard to allow you to run their game on your work computer. Especially your work computer with outdated hardware.

This is a shitty situation for you, and I'm sincerely sorry that you may not be able to play Legion, but Blizzard has busted their ass over to years to keep a game on a decade-and-a-half-old engine looking as beautiful as it does today. You're disrespecting the shit out of them by expecting them to cater to your desire to run it on a shitty computer. And I say that as someone with a computer that was at best mid-range when I bought it at the end of 2013. Yet it still runs WoW on more than high settings, and only cost me $550.
    Last edited by Totemslap; 2016-06-27 at 07:53 PM.

I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB in my laptop so I think I should be good.

Wow what a surprise, people came in here to say how bad Macs are...

I definitely believe though it's more on Apple's side than Blizzards and there's probably little to nothing they can do. Apple draws hard lines in the sand when it comes to supporting older products. I'm pretty certain they put out an iOS update on iPad 2's to render them obsolete on purpose.

We're also talking about the company that scrapped the floppy drive about 4 years before everyone else and haven't had actual disc drives in their laptops for the last 5.

I love my Mac, but there are certain things like this that you just need to deal with if you choose to roll with Apple.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2016-06-28 at 01:58 AM.

I only feel pity for anyone who bought a Mac expecting it to run games.