Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    but most of the population of america is an immigrant, the only true Americans are the native Indians, while i agree nothing significant will happen with gun control in a long time, there should be so much control measures in place before you even get a gun, at the very least you should have to go through a criminal check, mental evaluation and then get a licence to handle a firearm all paid for by the person wanting the gun, this would lead to more responsible gun owners, won't be perfect but it would be a start.
    No thanks. 2nd amendment is good as is.

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    Nice try, troll post. He doesn't take any freedoms away if you are an american citizen. Illegals should be deported.
    He wants to restrict Freedom of the Press. Primarily because he's a whiny little bitch that doesn't like the press saying bad things about him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    He wants to restrict Freedom of the Press. Primarily because he's a whiny little bitch that doesn't like the press saying bad things about him.
    So stand up for libertarian values. There are authoritarians on the left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Did I miss something? Who is talking about getting rid of the 2nd amendment?
    Absolutely no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    OP is spot on. The 1st and 2nd amendments must stay rock solid.
    Except when it comes to Muslims, obviously.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Except when it comes to Muslims, obviously.
    Trump is wrong on that issue if that is what he said. Being on a concern list should not take anyones rights away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51
    Most folks I knew in the service would be appalled at the idea of going to war with their own citizens. My guess is in the event where they were asked to, most would refuse the order.
    I also served, and I lack your confidence. The events of the Civil War are in our past, yet they happened. At Kent State, they were National Guard -- perhaps less trained, but also closer to the people of the area -- they fired. Over and over, we see situations were armed forces, be they police or National Guard, either have fired or have apparently been close to firing.

If your point holds, then it is the morality of our own troops that is the effective defense against tyranny. You also raise a question -- are our citizens, many of whom are former service members or serving in the National Guard (or who have relatives in some way involved) willing to fire on our troops? You know what happens, a gun goes off and people react, then there is no stopping things. Thus, would guns actually aid in the process or is peaceful resistance potentially at least as effective?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51
    Of millions of people were in physical resistance to the remainder of the military, it would be hard pressed to maintain order, much less win a protracted conflict, unless the govt is willing to destroy entire cities, which I doubt.
    No, they probably won't wake up one morning and say "I think I'll burn Atlanta" and yet that has been done before. Given the Red State/Blue State model, it is possible -- maybe even probable -- that we would see the states again divided along political lines to resist or support the government. That could easily bring about a scenario similar to the Civil War, and while our current examples of similar situations tend to be in the Middle East or Africa it seems that the best an armed citizenry could hope for would be a bloody and protracted stalemate that would invite foreign involvement.

An armed citizenry fighting from within cities would essentially be using our own as meat shields. How is that in any way an acceptable scenario compared to unarmed and peaceful resistance? That would be, however, about their only hope of survival once things escalate (and they would if guns are an option) to shooting. Our current armed forces are specifically veterans of warfare against dispersed, militia like groups. Their training and arms reflect that.

I see a case for morality, I see a case for organized and peaceful resistance to tyranny, but I do not see an armed citizenry adding any benefit to offset the increased bloodshed we would face if shots were fired. If shots aren't going to be fired, the last thing we need is fools with guns to set off the shooting.

At this point, I'm of the opinion that our National Guard meets the need for a well regulated militia. An armed rabble is not in any sense well regulated or a militia, nor can I see it as an effective defense against tyranny. Anything else comes down to sorting out hunting, target shooting, and deciding what to do to address home defense. Those things are not without merit, but they are things that other countries manage to handle without something like the Second Amendment.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Did I miss something? Who is talking about getting rid of the 2nd amendment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Absolutely no one.
    New to Gen-OT? (See Poll Leader)

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Common sense would say the rules evolve with technology.

I mean, unless you think freedom,of speech only extends to papers and oral speech. The constitution doesn't say anything about the internet.....so, guess you better get off mmocot
    Again if that were true people would be out buying rocket launchers, tanks, jets and other thing. Yet you can't so things aren't evolving at the same pace. So by your own definition of common sense the 2nd amendment is lacking.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2016-06-27 at 04:26 PM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, if the majority of the people wanted to amend the consitution to remove the second amendment they would. The majority of the country has common sense so...yeah
    Being able to yell the loudest does not prove a majority.
    And a majority sometimes wants what is best for themselves, instead of what is best for others.
    This is entirely about you having hold of something and no matter the consequences you want to keep it.
    Talk about selfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Let me rephrase that. No one that actually matters in terms of policy decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Again if that were true people would be out buying rocket launchers, tanks, jets and other thing. Yet you can't so things aren't evolving at the same pace.
    Actually as a citizen you can buy those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Which goes to show you how insane and obsolete the Second Amendment actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which goes to show you how insane and obsolete the Second Amendment actually is.
    You mistake "can" with "wide spread availability" or even "I found a company who will sell it to me".

They are not common for a reason and it has nothing to do with their legality.

Edit: To clarify, the reason not everyone is rolling around in a tank is because much like the reason not everyone is driving around in a Lambo, the cost of a tank is going to put it out of the price range of a majority 99% of people.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-06-27 at 04:15 PM.

So protecting something which didn't go away will make america into something it was not ?
    Someone explain how that works.

If america isn't "great" any longer, it is for some other reason since you lost nothing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I think he means to say buy those things fully operational and fully armed, the rocket launchers are interesting I wonder how many people would still use guns if bullets were that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    So you have kids, say your kids school is shot up or even worse one is gunned down. You really think your opinion on some more laws or regulations wouldn't change?

As someone who was present at one of the largest school shootings ever, no it never changed my mind. I'm not retarded enough to blame the guns, but rather I blame the 2 kids who carried out the attack. I blame their parents for not getting them the mental help they needed when the signs started popping up. It was never the guns fault. Those kids were going to kill as many people as possible with or without guns. They even made sure to have a fairly large supple of bombs made from common household materials too.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2016-06-27 at 04:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So protecting something which didn't go away will make america into something it was not ?
    Someone explain how that works.

If america isn't "great" any longer, it is for some other reason since you lost nothing there.
    The point is to be ultra vigilant for authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I think he means to say buy those things fully operational and fully armed, the rocket launchers are interesting I wonder how many people would still use guns if bullets were that expensive.
    Well the thing is, generally in most cases, you can buy ammunition (like the RPG example).

However it is time and cost prohibited because of the ATF tax stamp PER munition.

You can also build your own munitions with the proper paperwork. Like making a 120mm round for your totally sweet bro tank you just bought. Again though, time and cost prohibitive.