Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The point is to be ultra vigilant for authoritarianism.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with authoritarianism. Point in fact, we're all authoritarian to some degree - unless you're an anarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Actually as a citizen you can buy those things.
    In very rare cases and when they are gutted or non functional.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Shouldn't protecting all the amendments be what makes a nation great?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ndividual-gun/
    Interesting stuff about that quote, although he did say it, historians say it didn't mean what you think it does.
    Besides, that quote seems to imply that training should be mandatory for gun ownership, which you wouldn't have a problem with... right?

The quote is wrong anyway:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29431

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with authoritarianism. Point in fact, we're all authoritarian to some degree - unless you're an anarchist.
    Authoritarianism is inherently wrong if it contradicts our constitutional rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Shouldn't protecting all the amendments be what makes a nation great?
    We already do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    He also thought that it was fine for only white males to vote. I don't think we should get rid of the second amendment, but it's good to put our founders in their historical context a great deal of their thinking is completely irrelevant in 2016.

Deleted
    We already do that.
    Then I am unsure what the issue is here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Authoritarianism is inherently wrong if it contradicts our constitutional rights.
    Nothing about a right being 'constitutional' actually gives it ethical or practical weight. Rights exist because it is socially beneficial for them to do so - and clearly, the 'right to bear arms' is not a net positive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ask Trump. He's the one who wants to make America great again. Implying that's not what America is doing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hillary and Trump have some authoritarian ideas. The point is to oppose those specific ideas and keep them in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    In very rare cases and when they are gutted or non functional.
    They have to be sold that way because the government requires it, however there is nothing preventing a private citizen from rebuilding the decommissioned portions with the proper paperwork and $$$

Deleted
    The Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right that belongs to all law-abiding Americans. The Constitution doesn’t create that right – it ensures that the government can’t take it away. Our Founding Fathers knew, and our Supreme Court has upheld, that the Second Amendment’s purpose is to guarantee our right to defend ourselves and our families. This is about self-defense, plain and simple.
    Your second amendment is completely useless, plain and simple. The founding fathers fought a war again an authoritarian government and put this amendment in thinking that day would come again. What the founding fathers didn't foresee is drones carrying hellfire missiles or the amount of money the government spends on defense. If you think a "well regulated militia" will be able to stand against the US military then think again.

If the government comes for you then you won't be able to defend yourself, with or without a second amendment. But there won't be any tyranny coming because there is no need, not when there are better ways to control the population, like giving you choices, cause that's what freedom is all about right?

Deleted
    Hillary and Trump have some authoritarian ideas. The point is to oppose those specific ideas and keep them in line.
    But neither of them has such power of change, on their own?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm not sure you understand how politics work in our country. See, we have these things called lobbies. They pay for the politicians who make the laws to get elected. As such their voice holds more weight than the public's opinions on matters. Numerous polls have shown that the majority of the country would back legalized marijuana (http://www.gallup.com/poll/186260/ba...marijuana.aspx) but that shit is still a Schedule I controlled substance(along with things like heroin).

So... yeah.
    You mean like Michael Bloomberg? You act like its a one sided battle with the 2A.

Both sides have powerful lobbies with nearly unlimited funds.

But I agree, our government is corrupt as shit. Yet look how many people here want to be babysat by Uncle Sam.

Give me a presidential candidate who isn't a strict authoritarian, and I will gladly vote for him/her.

Oh look, there's Gary Johnson. Not only does he strongly support the 2nd Amendment, he's not trying to restrict the freedoms of everyone he doesn't like (brown people).

7+ Year Old Account
    But neither of them has such power of change, on their own?
    Probably not, but they still need to value our constitutional rights in case they need to veto Congressional authoritarianism.

The second amendment should be repealed. Gun ownership would be possible under very strict checks and maintenance of that background. Consider attaching gun ownership licensing to a similar model as security clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    The second amendment should be repealed. Gun ownership would be possible under very strict checks and maintenance of that background. Consider attaching gun ownership licensing to a similar model as security clearances.
    Are you a US Citizen? If so, better start campaigning.

Or is this one of those "Well someone else will do it for me" rants?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Good luck with that one. Let me know how the attempt to confiscate guns from tens of millions of Americans goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Good luck with that one. Let me know how the attempt to confiscate guns from tens of millions of Americans goes.
    It can be done, but it would have to be a long term project like the elimination of smoking.

Largely by making the costs of gun ownership so onerous that it's impossible for ordinary people to afford.