Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Considering that my country was intervened back in 2011 and "credit rating" become a daily national issue for the past 5 years, I might know a thing or two.
    Can you explain it to me then as I have no idea at all....it's just some randoms scoring stuff I don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Traitor! :P You'll hope and suffer like the rest of us!
    That was a question you fool ;p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Huh. I never experienced much in either CA or Houston. But I've always lived in relatively high property tax districts.
    things like that are fairly common here in the backyards.. And that's just begging for an outage

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The point is not that your infrastructure is bad in quality. It isn't. Although, I did witness more than one power failure in Austin, TX due to... *drumroll* rain. So that's a bit embarassing, but that's not the point. The point is that US infrastructure is wasteful. Kinda like your cars. US cars easily use twice as much fuel as European cars do. Mostly, because you have oil in abundance, you're a primary supplier now and before that, you've had the best connections to the Middle East (SA in particular). Europe always had to pay higher prices for petrol. This is just one example of the cultural difference.
    Europe pays higher prices for petrol mostly because of taxes, not because of the cost of the petrol itself. Of course those petrol taxes go on to support infrastructure spending.

It's not bad in quality, it's just very, very wasteful in comparison. Again, an anecdote, but at a time when most houses in Germany had double-glassed (by now triple-glassed seems to become the norm) windows, I only saw single glass pane windows in the US. That is terrible, terrible insulation. Whether you're in a hot region or a cold region, single glas windows are terrible. Instead of paying more for better insulation against heat, you lot pay more for A/C units that are still largely unknown here in domestic residences and still the exception in office buildings as well.
    Older homes may still have single pane glass, but all newer homes have double pane. In some areas of the US, that's required code. Most people flipping old homes also tend to install double pane as well. I currently have double pane glass, as does my office building.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    Yeah but noone will trigger Article 50 because Cameron said they at first need to negotiate the terms of Brexit. And the EU said they wont negotiate before Article 50 is triggered.

And to be clear: the EU doesnt want to kick out the UK. They are perfectly fine if you want to stay. They just dont want you to wait much longer before you quit. Merkel already said that you should get all the time in the world... and the longer you wait...

I have seen soooo many politicians do exactly stuff like this. Buy some time and hope the next crisis comes fast enough. I mean who knowd what we are talking about in 5 months. People seem to forget really fast.
    My understanding was that Cameron's statement today was that the newly formed exit group attached to the cabinet are the ones having "pre trigger talks" so that they can put forth their wishes/demands as they fire Article 50. I would guess this will happen around mid Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://romaniansadoptremainians.gandul.info/adopt

A site has been launched to adopt people who voted to remain in the EU.
    A "Remainian" lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohdearuk View Post
    Can you explain it to me then as I have no idea at all....it's just some randoms scoring stuff I don't understand.
    It's the evaluation of credit risk of your debt, the lower the rating is, the higher the risk of investment on your country.

Sure, it doesn't hurt the day by day of an economy like Britain in the short term, but companies will think twice before investing and even stay in the UK, something that is already happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That was a question you fool ;p

- - - Updated - - -

things like that are fairly common here in the backyards.. And that's just begging for an outage

That sort of thing is slowly being replaced in the US, though, as neighborhoods turn over. I know the new subdivisions in Houston don't get their electricity from poles, and when developers tear down older houses or redevelop whole districts, those tend to get upgraded as well.

There are definitely a bunch of old neighborhoods still out there, though, for sure.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'll take one of them hot dark haired, light skinned country bumpkins, if she is still in the not-fat stage :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That sort of thing is slowly being replaced in the US, though, as neighborhoods turn over. I know the new subdivisions in Houston don't get their electricity from poles, and when developers tear down older houses or redevelop whole districts, those tend to get upgraded as well.

There are definitely a bunch of old neighborhoods still out there, though, for sure.
    Yes, and for sure it all cannot be done overnight.
    But there is a huge potential for a job market shift.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    Well the start of Brexit is already showing signs of good fortune.

Roy hodgeson resigned and S&P do not think UK will enter recession.

Guess the leave vote was the correct 1
    The market by now is probably fairly certain that there is no will to actually leave. This will only get interesting again if something actually happens :P.

Hahahaha.

This is literally the most pathetic thing ever.

People are crying over DEMOCRACY.

You've heard that stuff with how the EU wants to phase out English as an official EU language?
    It's almost like watching a kindergarten. They all go "You don't want to play with us, so we don't want your stuff, huuumpf"

It's ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Wouldn't a steep progressive tax model be better for that?
    Changing tax models has a long lasting effect, you can stop printing money as soon as you want.

Otherwise the rich will just transfer their funds to another currency and you end up with less volume to absorb the costs of unexpected problems.
    Inflation is effectively a flat tax. Flat taxes are bad for societies when they start to dominate.
    They are not the same.

Inflation devalues money and raises the value of real goods vs virtual items (like services traded, work included). Who has property would see huge benefits.

Flat taxes instead will have negligible impact on wealthy individuals no matter how their wealth is distributed.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    This building services tech is pretty much the norm in commercial construction projects in the uk, but much less so in domestic construction. I'm surprised there was no mention of ground and air source heat pumps. Heat pumps have a CoP of 4 to 4.5 and as such are one of the most efficient way to heat your property.
    They mentioned ground source heat pumps (geothermic).
    They're showcasing systems that use renewables, not just efficient energy usage.
    But heat pumps, since they need be powered through electricity, may or may not fall within the renewable range.
    To figure if a pump is, in fact, in that range, we have some EU parliament directive from 2009 and a method of calculation by the commission in 2013. It's climate dependent, though, so the thresholds may differ in each member state.

As an aside, the decision to install one needs to take into account the installation system. Retrofitting an existing installation may prove difficult if it's based on radiators (as a heat pump system would need massive ones, or rip the flooring to install an underfloor one). They're not very common here -Spain- because of that; though the reversible ones, that one can use as cooling in summertime, are a bit more popular in the south.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-06-27 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    You've heard that stuff with how the EU wants to phase out English as an official EU language?
    It's almost like watching a kindergarten. They all go "You don't want to play with us, so we don't want your stuff, huuumpf"

It's ridiculous.
    Who exactly said that? Unless it's someone of remote rank it says as much as asking Cameron's piss-boy on the future of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I have no desire to be sober for the next week and me and the missus are considering moving to Scotland if you guys leave the Union and join the other Union. Give me some Buckfast based cocktails post haste please.
    Was out getting less than sober myself, enjoying some french electro (while I still can). Here you go. Also doubles as crash course in the accent/language. And we've got the holidays covered too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    This part is clearly wrong.
    It's accurate although slightly murky to what extent it holds true. In this case it wouldn't even come into play to be honest since the referendum was advisory and didn't lay out any action to be taken beyond asking the question.

Also this was pretty brutal. (dammit mmo-c, let me embed tweets already).

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post

It's ridiculous.
    Haven't heard that one; they did un-invite Britain from multiple talks with the other 27 leaders this week during the EU summit. Yes great idea, don't talk with the one nation thats leaving because thats going to help the transition process.

Seriously how is anyone regretting the vote? The EU has shown its true colours in the last couple of days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Was out getting less than sober myself, enjoying some french electro (while I still can). Here you go. Also doubles as crash course in the accent/language.
    "Danuta Hübner, the head of the European Parliament’s Constitutional Affairs Committee (AFCO), warned Monday that English will not be one of the European Union’s official languages after Britain leaves the EU."

Its sounds utterly stupid...UK or not, English is the most widely used and accepted language. I know it`s not the most spoken language but no way in hell if you go anywhere in the world, somebody won`t understand at least part of it...I hope it`s just a hoax...
    Ahh i read more from the article
    "“We have a regulation … where every EU country has the right to notify one official language,” Hübner said. “The Irish have notified Gaelic, and the Maltese have notified Maltese, so you have only the U.K. notifying English.”

“If we don’t have the U.K., we don’t have English,” Hübner said.

English is one of the working languages in the European institutions, Hübner said, adding: “It’s actually the dominating language,” the one most frequently used by EU civil servants.

The regulation listing official languages of the EU would have to be changed unanimously by remaining countries if they want to keep English as an official language, Hübner said."

http://www.politico.eu/article/engli...it-senior-mep/

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I can't understand why you would vote on party lines when your whole livelihood depends on the EU.
    The situation in Northern Ireland has been delicate for quite a while, it isn't that long ago that people voted on party lines (and religious affiliations) because you could get murdered for doing otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    One guy can hardly be described as "the far left". Am i missing some major number of representatives swing to the left?
    Aside from a handful of SJW nutjobs that weenies on the internet pretend is some growing epidemic of leftist crazyhood, no, the US has no real left, at least in the European sense.