Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The other link you posted mentions numbers between 60,000 to 105,000 as well.

The numbers just seem to be all over the place. Likely due to methods of gathering said numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd eat my hat if that's NOT the case here, honestly.

But it's just a guess.
    the 500k to 3M is from published studies. the 60k to 105k is from national crime victims survey. In any case the lower bound of 60k is still essentially 100X higher than his biased source. At least the NCVS is a Bureau of Justice source - which in theory should be about an non-biased as possible.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2016-06-28 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So I guess this mother will be sent to jail for murder then? Or is that sort of murder justified in American law?
    if someone breaks into your home, you have every right to defend yourself and your family by ANY means necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Which hasn't been determined yet according to the report in the OP. And, she could be fabricating some part of her story as well. We just don't know yet.
    The police have not charged her with anything yet, and I think it's pretty safe to assume they have conducted an investigation so far. It may not be finished, but again, no charges yet. Don't get me wrong, if there was some wacky scenario in which this guy was a "good guy in a bad situation", then I'd change my opinion. The chances of this actually taking place seem incredibly low though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    When are you going to grow up and join the real world?
    Could ask you the same. That's a completely reasonable and responsible course of action. It prevents a potential criminal from escaping police notice, and if they aren't threatening you or anyone else nearby, there's no justifiable reason to just shoot them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

So I guess this mother will be sent to jail for murder then? Or is that sort of murder justified in American law?
    Honestly it is hard to justify in the day time, if it was late at night and hard to see I would be on her side, assuming he isn't mentally challenged.

How does an armed person get threatened by some clearly unarmed and hiding, to boot? I am surprised no one called this woman brave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    if someone breaks into your home, you have every right to defend yourself and your family by ANY means necessary
    None of them were under any particular threat. The children were nowhere nearby and the mother was armed. While shooting is understandable, I'd also describe it as excessive and unnecessary. Detain the scumbag and let the police handle it. If he flees, make a note of the direction he was going and inform the police.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Lol wow. So i guess your not allowed to protect your home now? If someone breaks into your home and is chilling in one of your rooms and you shoot them, its their fault. They should wait by the front door like everyone else so they dont get shot. He violated the law and was a threat to her and her children. There are too many variables involved in her situation that could have endangered her and her kids lives if she were to have held him at gunpoint.

She did the right thing. Dont go into someone elses house uninvited in america. They may own a gun and might shoot you. Wait outside if its that important. Dont be a creep.

...do you live in reality?
    Nah..It is always so easy to kill a person. Let me guess, you are a christian.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    None of them were under any particular threat. The children were nowhere nearby and the mother was armed. While shooting is understandable, I'd also describe it as excessive and unnecessary. Detain the scumbag and let the police handle it. If he flees, make a note of the direction he was going and inform the police.
    You don't know someone's intention. They broke into the home, so yeah they were in danger. A woman, who could be smaller than the man, had every right to defend herself and her children with lethal force.

If it's someone with some kind of mental disorder, i do feel sympathetic.

Ironically, i'm very anti-gun in america and think our gun laws are ludicrous... but the mother did nothing wrong IMO. He was HIDING for a reason, maybe he didn't want to hurt anyone, but maybe he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Lol wow. So i guess your not allowed to protect your home now? If someone breaks into your home and is chilling in one of your rooms and you shoot them, its their fault. They should wait by the front door like everyone else so they dont get shot. He violated the law and was a threat to her and her children. There are too many variables involved in her situation that could have endangered her and her kids lives if she were to have held him at gunpoint.

She did the right thing. Dont go into someone elses house uninvited in america. They may own a gun and might shoot you. Wait outside if its that important. Dont be a creep.
    I keep hearing that word, "Defend". Pity how cowardly a human being is, especially an armed on.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't know someone's intention. They broke into the home, so yeah they were in danger. A woman, who could be smaller than the man, had every right to defend herself and her children with lethal force.

If it's someone with some kind of mental disorder, i do feel sympathetic.

Ironically, i'm very anti-gun in america and think our gun laws are ludicrous... but the mother did nothing wrong IMO. He was HIDING for a reason, maybe he didn't want to hurt anyone, but maybe he did.
    I didn't say she did anything wrong. Shooting him was a reasonable decision to make. I believe it's unnecessary and maybe excessive, but I also don't consider it to be wrong. If he didn't want to get shot, why did he break in and attempt to hide?

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Nah..It is always so easy to kill a person. Let me guess, you are a christian.
    You are showing your true colors.

No, i'm an atheist who's anti-gun (by american standards) but this is a no brainer. You have every single right to defend your home and family by any means necessary. This is the real world, people (especially criminals) and in the real world the police likely wouldn't have made it in time HAD THEY NEEDED TO, so yeah... this woman was in the right.

What is wrong with people like you? What should she have done? Sat down and talked it out while the police slowly got there and then they could all have a laugh about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep hearing that word, "Defend". Pity how cowardly a human being is, especially an armed on.
    Not having SOME kind of weapon or tool you can effectively utilize as a weapon isn't being brave, it's being stupid. It doesn't have to be a gun or a knife, it could be a hammer or a baseball bat or a crowbar or even a particularly sturdy kitchen knife. There's no real reason not to have SOMETHING in your house that you can use to defend yourself with if need be.

Martial arts training could be taken in place of having a weapon or tool, and would probably be better to have anyway.

It's stupid to be defenseless.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    lol I knew it wouldn't take long

Let me guess, no kids?
    No, more like no clue. Guns are bad in the Disney Fairy Princess Castle where Hana Song lives.

Between defending her family or looking like a "tough guy" by not shooting the 59 year old intruder in her home, just to appease you, I think the lady made the right decision here. Not sure how you can think she was cowardly, this guy intruded in her home, at 1am, an act which says he had something sinister in mind, and she doesn't know if he has a weapon, any reasonable person would've done the same thing. I'm not sure where you're from but if defending yourself is illegal or looked down upon, I really wouldn't want to move there.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I didn't say she did anything wrong. Shooting him was a reasonable decision to make. I believe it's unnecessary and maybe excessive, but I also don't consider it to be wrong. If he didn't want to get shot, why did he break in and attempt to hide?
    I think my country's (USA) gun laws are absolutely garbage, and i'm even mostly anti-gun... but this is insane people are knocking her. What if she did try to take the other route and she had been hurt?

Sorry, but I don't have mercy for criminals. When you break into someone's home, you take the chance that you may not walk out and I'm fine with that. We are an overpopulated planet as it is so if a few criminals and scum bags get erased, they brought it on themselves.

We aren't talking about defending unarmed minorities from police brutality, or a bunch of red necks shooting up something... we are talking about a mother alone at home with her children. She was in every right

Oregon has castle law, and includes "no duty to retreat", meaning that in all likelihood, she will not be prosecuted or go to jail for murder.

And what she did will probably be considered self-defense, not murder. In the United States, if you kill someone in self-defense, there are no legal consequences.

You are showing your true colors.

No, i'm an atheist who's anti-gun (by american standards) but this is a no brainer. You have every single right to defend your home and family by any means necessary. This is the real world, people (especially criminals) and in the real world the police likely wouldn't have made it in time HAD THEY NEEDED TO, so yeah... this woman was in the right.

What is wrong with people like you? What should she have done? Sat down and talked it out while the police slowly got there and then they could all have a laugh about it?

You are not an atheist. You are just a bad liar. "Defending" doesn't mean murdering someone. I don't think you understand what that word means. Likely if someone actually pulled a gun on you, you will sh..t on your pants.

You are correct. What could she have done besides kill someone, an act that can' be taken back, ever. Must be nice in your la la land.

You are not an atheist. You are just a bad liar. "Defending" doesn't mean murdering someone. I don't think you understand what that word means. Likely if someone actually pulled gun on you, you will sh..t on your pants.

You are correct. What could she have done besides kill someone, an act that can' be taken back, ever. Must be nice in your la la land.
    Glad you are the authority on what I am. Strange how i've been an atheist longer than you've even been alive cupcake, but you're right... i guess YOU are the authority on what others can be.

Anything else I shouldn't be, your highness of stupidity?

I think you are genuinely suffering from some severe mental delusions and should seek help. No lie.