One thing I know: I payed to watch the movie, and I had a good time.

Don't know if it breaks even or if it will get a sequel, no one really knows yet; even the numbers going around are mostly only estimates and profit isn't done yet (4 more countries to be released in afaik, and then there's phisical copies and TV rights to sell). But I sure hope there's more to come, as I'm sure I'll have a good time with those as well

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Nope, already told you I'm not going to. What's the point? So I can repeat the process again when we go onto the next page? The very website you are posting on put the 500m number source from deadline on the main page of this site. As you've been talking to me another poster posted the 450m from Hollywood Reporter and you conveniently ignored him. You're being dense on purpose to troll, I'm not going to play your game.
    Alright, fair enough. If it's 450m it is less than 40m (and dropping) away from breaking even right now and that's before releasing in other Countries and DvD sales. Either way it will make a profit.

Barely making a small profit isn't success.

If they do make a sequel it will be on an absolute shoe string budget, no way they are dumping 100+ million into another Warcraft movie ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post

If they do make a sequel it will be on an absolute shoe string budget, no way they are dumping 100+ million into another Warcraft movie ever again.
    I do not really belive the numbers studios say they spend on movies so there's a good chance that they already made good profit. The thing is that they did not get superprofit cause of the american flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Akta View Post
    this is just pure bullshit lol

- - - Updated - - -

The US are just a bunch of little whiners
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    This.
    The sequel will be made and it'll be even better. The US fanbase is just mad because they are not really important anymore. EU and Asia showing that we really don't need them anymore.
    Funny little racists.

I really don't get why people are losing their shit over this.

We don't really know whether it will make money or not. International box office takings were pretty big but that's just part of the picture for film profitability and most of the rest of it often isn't public knowledge. And whether you like the movie or not is completely subjective.

Personal opinion: if you went into this expecting a AAA movie you'd probably be disappointed, if you went in expecting a crappy B-movie you'd probably be pleasantly surprised. It had its fair share of problems but I personally didn't hate it. It honestly felt like a movie with good intentions that bit off more than it could chew. The bad parts didn't really harm the overall experience for the most part.

Compared to say, Batman v Superman which felt like a movie with the worst of intentions and a failure on all fronts. Watching that was excruciating and I really really wanted it to die in a fire and stop ruining the DC universe. Warcraft by contrast was pretty faithful to its universe, and I hope it does get a sequel and improves as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yes, it's such a dubious assertion that marketing budgets are nonzero, and that theaters don't show movies for free.

/rollseyes
    Yeah, because that's what I was saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post

with all the pre-rage and a lots of people who had trying to make the movie being a flop, making a small profit was a big success for blizzard, now that they have the attention of a millions of peoples who dont have a clue what the game is but loved the movie, the sequel will be a greater success, i'm sure of it

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah, because that's what I was saying.
    The person I was responding to, and who you defended, said this:

It is officially estimated to have cost $160,000,000 to make the Warcraft movie. It has easily passed that.
    That argument only makes sense if he thinks the $160M cost to make the Warcraft movie is the ONLY significant cost involved in getting the movie to the screens.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

That argument only makes sense if he thinks the $160M cost to make the Warcraft movie is the ONLY significant cost involved in getting the movie to the screens.
    It isn't, but people pull out retarded numbers from their asses anyway. I'm pretty sure that the marketing cost was nowhere near 100M...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    This.
    The sequel will be made and it'll be even better. The US fanbase is just mad because they are not really important anymore. EU and Asia showing that we really don't need them anymore.
    How naive are you?

US is still a huge market. Executives aren't going to say, "Well murica sucks so we wont even bother with them since EU/China makes us enough money." Let's assume a sequel will be made and it will be "even better" they are going to try even harder to capture the american audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    It isn't, but people pull out retarded numbers from their asses anyway. I'm pretty sure that the marketing cost was nowhere near 100M...
    You'd be surprised.

The person I was responding to, and who you defended, said this:

I'm objecting to the idea that the movie is profitable has already been proven wrong. None of us has the information necessary to determine that. Probably nobody outside the studio does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm objecting to the idea that the movie is profitable has already been proven wrong.
    Ah, so you're objecting to something I didn't say. Please read more carefully.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Some people just ain't happy till nobody is happy.

Heard a story about this farmer who was famous for being a grump. One year he had a bumper crop - best harvest ever. The townsfolk thought that he would finally have something positive to say, so when asked about his crop his reply was something like: Well it was nice n' all, but all the extra crop took a lot of extra nutrients out of the soil.

Ah, so you're objecting to something I didn't say. Please read more carefully.
    So... we agree?

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how people will move their goalposts - the movie will easily break even just from cinemas, even with the made up numbers that are being thrown around and that is even before it finished releasing all over the world and before all the dvds, director's cuts and what not, which will be a pure profit.

i am not even talking about the benefits of attracting the masses who knew nothing about Warcraft before that with all the noise.

In short - it is a success no matter how much effort is being done by butthurt people to make it appear as a failure, which it is simply not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    No matter how people will move their goalposts - the movie will easily break even just from cinemas, even with the made up numbers that are being thrown around and that is even before it finished releasing all over the world and before all the dvds, director's cuts and what not, which will be a pure profit.

i am not even talking about the benefits of attracting the masses who knew nothing about Warcraft before that with all the noise.

In short - it is a success no matter how much effort is being done by butthurt people to make it appear as a failure, which it is simply not.
    How do you know the movie will break even? Sales seem to be slowing down at great rate any many cinemas have already stopped showing it. DVDs and director's cuts or what not all incur their own costs and as such will not be pure profit.

What masses are these? And why do you think a movie that has, in general, been poorly received outside of WC fans will do to attract non fans to the Warcraft franchise?

In short - the movie has received poor reviews, has done poorly in Western cinemas, there are claims fraudulent audience numbers being reported in the only territory where it did well and as yet has failed to make a profit. So I am really not sure how you reached the conclusion that it is a success.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    And what proof is in there that Warcraft had 100M marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

This.
    I can't even understand why people want this movie to fail so bad. The movie did pretty well for a game movie, actually, it did pretty well for any movie. People are so naive if they think it flopped. Any studio out there would want a "flop" like that.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Its been three weeks now since I last saw the movie, but the more I think back the worse it actually seems to get. I think I was willing to look past a lot of flaws simply because I know Warcraft and I have been a fan since WC2, but you must admit that however you look at it this movie it is extremely flawed in a lot of ways. And its getting hard to talk anything good about it. I originally rated the movie a 6/10, but now that I think about it even this rating has been way to generous.

For one, I don't get how people can rate a movie incredibly high if it has serious pacing issues. Having these kind of pacing issues brings other issues such as characterisation, which was really bad in this movie except for maybe some characters (Durotan and Khadgar were fine I guess). But at the same time the acting of most human characters was just awful, and their horrible dialogue didn't help them either. King Liane was just a terrible actor who never came over as a real king to me, and his death felt absolutely pointless. And then we have a story issue with just a lot of plot wholes, while the team isn't even sure that Warcraft will get a sequel at all. So if we don't get a sequel we have this one movie thats supposed to be ''The Beginning''..... of a new trilogy, that just ended with all those unsolved plotholes.

I guess one thing I can praise thats basically most of my rating are how they portrayed the orcs, its obvious that most of the movies budget went into making them. When you look close to the orc army you can also see how much different they look, instead of just mostly copy pastes where your army is just wearing the exact same armor and even facial features. They even had a good male/female ratio, though I don't remember see'ing any female soldiers in the human army. But with most of that budget gone, we've had some very cheap decoration of Stormwind and some random B-list actors who look like cosplayers. Garona is the worst of them, because you can also easily tell that she's not on par with the other orcs as she's actually portrayed by a reala ctress, rather then also CGI. They don't blend in while they are in the same scene at all.

I like to believe that if they had gone with the Arthas movie instead, it would've been a way better movie. Just have one great storyline, not this meshed up good humans/good orcs/evil orcs/wizard stuff throwing around. But I think Duncan Jones is not fit for the job at all, even if he's a huge Warcraft fan. Not saying Sam Raimi would've done a better job, but he has impressed me far more with his movies like Evil Dead and Spiderman. Duncans previous movies were way better than this, and it would suck for him that the Warcraft movie could end up as a huge stain in his career.

The movie is not as good as it could've been, its been focussed way to heavily towards the fans. And even then they changed the lore way to much while it wasn't even necessary.