10+ Year Old Account

What in the ever lovin' hells? Sweden?

Say it ain't so!

Influences

The Raggare subculture's influences are American popular culture of the 1950s, such as the movies Rebel Without a Cause with James Dean, and American Graffiti.[2]

Cars

Cars are an important part of the subculture, especially V8-powered cars and other large cars from the USA.[4] Statistically, the most common raggare car (Swe raggarbil) is the 1960s Pontiac Bonneville[citation needed]. They are plentiful, classic, relatively cheap, and have a huge backseat so the Raggare can pile in all of their friends. Raggare have been described as closely related to the hot rod culture, but while hotrodders in the US have to do extensive modifications to their cars to stand out, raggare can use stock US cars and still standout compared to the more sober Swedish cars.[4] Some raggare also drive European cars from the 50's, 60's and the 70's.

Due to Raggare culture there are more restored 1950s American cars in Sweden than in the entire USA[5] and although only two 1958 Cadillac convertibles were sold in Sweden there are now 200 of them in Sweden.[5] Between 4000 and 5000 classic US cars are imported to Sweden each year.[5]

Fashion

The clothes and hairstyle are that of 1950s rockabilly. Blue jeans, cowboy boots, white T-shirts, sometimes with print (also used to store a pack of cigarettes by folding the sleeve), leather[6] or denim jacket. The hair is styled using Brylcreem or some other pomade.

Symbols

The confederate flag seem to be popular items in the subculture as they embrace the rebellious message of the flag.[7]
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raggare

Someone on Wiki has been mainlining dandelions, right?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    See also

White trash
    Rednecks
    Deep South
    Neo-Confederate
    I had a good chuckle at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this just greasers?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Isn't this just greasers?
    Indeed, they sound just like greasers.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    There aren't that many young "raggare" but it was a culture that was quite popular when my parents were young in the 70-80ies.

I can't picture Swedes riding around in a Pontiac Bonneville. lol

Some kind of "pace" car at a race.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still see raggare a lot in the summer. They tend to be 60+ and travel with their wives (also properly dressed in clothes from the same decade as the car) rather than a pile of their friends in the backseat though.

Swedish kids can't get a driver's license for a real car until 18, so 16-17 year olds who really want a car can be seen in this type of vehicle:

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    We have Raggare, you have Trump/Florida man. I'd say we win.

I sense a team up

Or a showdown
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2016-06-28 at 06:46 AM.

Apparently they get into a lot of fistfights with punks and hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Indeed, they sound just like greasers.
    I'm not sure that Greasers where Racists, though.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    I'm not sure that Greasers where Racists, though.
    Being a Raggare does not imply being racist, either. So yer just pulling punches on ghosts.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are questions one is better off not knowing the answer to, but I have to ask ... does this explain the one poster who uses a blue and yellow Confederate flag as his avatar?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    There are questions one is better off not knowing the answer to, but I have to ask ... does this explain the one poster who uses a blue and yellow Confederate flag as his avatar?
    That guy is amazing. Raggare plus WoW permaban makes for a dangerous combination.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I had a good chuckle at that.
    If that's also Swedish could it be our very own Slimjim

as embarrasing as they may be they still got nothing on Hipsters.

Sadly, yes, it's true. I haven't seen any Confederacy stuff from them but the rest is absolutely true. I used to see them in my home town; they'd gather around a local gas station around 21-00 and play loud music, stand on top of their ugly cars and drink, and be obnoxious in general. A classmate of mine told me they leave the more rural parts around 21 because the businesses shut down at that time, so instead they go gather in the larger city, where I lived.

They have very little respect for peace and quiet, and they are, as previously described, rural and white trash.