Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Well. I agree his choice of words takes it too far. But, there actually exists a clear positive correlation between "Bremain" voters and high education:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ucated-old-an/

Indeed, at the highest levels of education (British researchers and scientists), an overwhelming majority (83% !!) supported remaining in EU according to Nature:
    http://www.nature.com/news/scientist...e-poll-1.19636

For example, Peter Higgs refers to Brexit as 'a disaster':
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/educa...arch-1.2698759

It was mainly the poorly educated people, elder people, and people living outside the major cities who voted for "Brexit" (there being a considerable overlap between these three categories, of course).
    I suspect "mainly" in this case means something along the lines "60% of poorly educated people voted leave, 40% of highly educated did", not "everyone poorly educated voted Leave, everyone highly educated voted Remain". That 83% figure comes just from "2000 scientist working in EU", not everyone who is considered highly educated.

Plus, some of the older folk didn't even had opportunity for what is considered "highly educated" nowdays; it doesn't mean they are uninformed however or lack experience.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2016-06-28 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I am watching Farage's speech.

That's the funniest shit I have heard in a while. Nige, if you find yourself near me I will buy you a beer
    Buy him Foster's. Only the best english beer for the big guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    His main agenda points were not against immigrants. The first section was aimed at the Versailles Treaty, then you had some bits against Jews (not immigrants, those were German citizens at the time!), some social stuff, some legal stuff (replacing Roman law with Germanic law, it's a technical detail, not really relevant here) and some shit about the obligations of citizens and the state and then some bits about cencorship of the press.

It really wasn't like you think it was.
    His agenda was however about singling out a group of people to blame for. His hatred for Jews really predated everything.

However I think the real reason for why Hitler is constantly being referred to in such contexts is because he represents the demagogue who is using snappy mottos and simple messages which easily reach people who are not really educated and generally have fallen through cracks in the social net. I mean driving around with a red bus with an obvious lie written on it could be easily dismissed as such by educated people simple googling for background research, others who for some reasons do not possess such capabilities will believe what's been said in the supermarket, at the campaigner's stand, on TV or what the neighbour has heard. These are the people which populists are mainly looking for.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Nah, rather go for a Kaiser with him.

15+ Year Old Account
    So:

Bank of England gave 3bn to private banks for liquidity
    Chinese investors are pulling out
    Virgin cancels a project for 3,000 jobs
    Forecasts of recessions

Well now...
    "Chancellor Osborne says we are absolutely going to have to cut spending and raise taxes" - Reuters. Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving
    https://twitter.com/tim_weber
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

The rest of the EU thank the british people for taking the hit and showing what a terrible idea leave is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    https://twitter.com/tim_weber
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

The rest of the EU thank the british people for taking the hit and showing what a terrible idea leave is.
    The biggest irony is that in two days they sunk more money into subsidising banks then they would have for about 20 years in membership fees. This is too rich

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Borden View Post
    I moved to Finland last year to be with my girlfriend and as a British citizen I'm not going to lie. I'm worried about what will happen.
    Let me reassure you, the UK will be staying in the EU. Most of what you see now is political posturing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    His agenda was however about singling out a group of people to blame for. His hatred for Jews really predated everything.

However I think the real reason for why Hitler is constantly being referred to in such contexts is because he represents the demagogue who is using snappy mottos and simple messages which easily reach people who are not really educated and generally have fallen through cracks in the social net. I mean driving around with a red bus with an obvious lie written on it could be easily dismissed as such by educated people simple googling for background research, others who for some reasons do not possess such capabilities will believe what's been said in the supermarket, at the campaigner's stand, on TV or what the neighbour has heard. These are the people which populists are mainly looking for.
    You summed it up better than I ever could. There's a clear difference in voting between people who are willing to put in even a small amount of research and those who believe whatever political billboard most fits their life biases without question or research.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me reassure you, the UK will be staying in the EU. Most of what you see now is political posturing.
    did you see the brexit results? they voted to leave mate.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Yeah "Big" Guy :P The first person in History that Demolish UK break its backbone and then flee to America(most likely) where hes going to live rest of his life in Luxury, while the rest thats left of UK go to hell. Democracy Win !

Deleted
    England is out of Euro 2016, Only they can Brexit twice in 4 days XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    I did but I also see the economy and I am also seeing that neither the "leave" camp, nor their government want to actually enact Order 66.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    I genuinely hope so because I am starting to get rather worried about my future should this devastation be enacted by the greedy people who lied to try and get a shot at being PM.

Turns out the referendum was not legally binding so there's a slim chance that it can be ignored which I hope for Englands sake it is.
    The absolute worse case scenario is that you have to put up with an EEA, meaning you still have the right to work, live and study in the EU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Leaving isn't as simple as snapping your fingers. There's going to be up to two years of negotiations and fighting over terms and future treaties and trade agreements. A lot of Brexiters voted to leave for single issues, and want control of one aspect but don't want to lose other privileges the EU granted them.

Brexiters want to have their cake and eat it too, and many pro Brexit have already backed down on their anti immigrant stance and are making multiple concessions, meaning a lot of Brits who thought Brexit meant slowed/stopped immigration as single issue voters are in for a nasty surprise.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Seriously how is anyone regretting the vote? The EU has shown its true colours in the last couple of days.
    What with? Of course EU will first and foremost try to secure its own interests, how is that bad? members>non-members. You guys are not a special snowflake.

I did but I also see the economy and I am also seeing that neither the "leave" camp, nor their government want to actually enact Order 66.

- - - Updated - - -

The absolute worse case scenario is that you have to put up with an EEA, meaning you still have the right to work, live and study in the EU.
    Oh the worst case scenario could be so much worse than that.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

So you will either leave and take the brunt of it or remain and basically say FU to democracy. The worst case scenario is NOT EEA but actually worse
    Last edited by mmoc3d7f422663; 2016-06-28 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Oh the worst case scenario could be so much worse than that.
    I don't think Merkel would pull a Bismarck on them - they are a valuable trade and research partner.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post

Yeah, though he´s not used in that context, but the opposite one. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    What with? Of course EU will first and foremost try to secure its own interests, how is that bad? members>non-members. You guys are not a special snowflake.
    Correction: They aren't special snowflakes ANYMORE
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So you will either leave and take the brunt of it or remain and basically say FU to democracy.
    I think their government would get some deal, vote against, say some BS about having an "opportune moment to invoke Article 50" and sweep it under the rug. They don't want to leave.

I don't think Merkel would pull a Bismarck on them - they are a valuable trade and research partner.
    What is a bismarck?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.