Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Well that's a bit odd. Where I am from we vote for individual MEP, selected by each party that's part of the current parliament.
    Let me guess, where you're from isn't Britain?

I sincerely hope you are trolling.
    Not really.

If the European Union was looking out for the interests of countries of worth it wouldn't allow such dramatic turnabouts like Greece or Poland into a trading Union.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fair enough. I guess I didn't/don't really understand the definition of cultural desert then. For me a lot of it has to do with music and art; of which Wales hardly lacks talent, even if they end up moving to London for work

Wasn't Liverpool voted European centre of Culture recently? Can't be so bad if that is the case; or is this an utterly subjective issue?
    I was using "culture" in the broadest sense. The "centre of culture" thing is all about art galleries and other stuff that don't affect most people's lives.

I hadn't noticed a welsh music scene, but maybe that is because I'm getting older.
    Btw I recall there was a thriving welsh langauge music scene in the 80's and 90's. Does that still exist? I don't know where people find this stuff since John Peel died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Berserker View Post
    Ironically no, it's just an Anti-British Europe trying to do everything in it's bureaucratic power to drag down strong countries for the sake of the weak ones.
    What did people expect, really? To be able to leave the EU and still reap the benefits of being in the union with none of the obligations?

If so, that's being too damn naive.

Deleted
    Ironically no, it's just an Anti-British Europe trying to do everything in it's bureaucratic power to drag down strong countries for the sake of the weak ones.
    So what your saying is the Anti British Europe wants the stonrg countries to help the weak ones so we can live in a strong united continent? It's like they are the literal devils:O

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    She's a bit more than a figure head.

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../422/42204.htm
    That's more of a failsafe if we get our own personal hitler. No Monarch would willingly enact that without very good reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    So what your saying is the Anti British Europe wants the stonrg countries to help the weak ones so we can live in a strong united continent? It's like they are the literal devils:O
    I don't see how needing to prop up failing economies makes anyone strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepal View Post
    Maximum facepalm...
    He is parodying the leave voters. It's a true performance act you have to know.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Isn't that what Advanta is saying. YOU don't vote for an MEP you vote for the party who already decided who would be their "MEP rep" (kinda thing)

Joe Smith 'your neighbour' can't be voted in as your MEP without affiliation to the parliamentiary parties. Or can he?
    Yeah kinda. I understood it as giving the mandate to the party and allowing it choose the MEPs, instead of having the part propose the members and allow the voters to choose which ones.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I was using "culture" in the broadest sense. The "centre of culture" thing is all about art galleries and other stuff that don't affect most people's lives.

I hadn't noticed a welsh music scene, but maybe that is because I'm getting older.
    Btw I recall there was a thriving welsh langauge music scene in the 80's and 90's. Does that still exist? I don't know where people find this stuff since John Peel died.
    Ah, so because you're an uninformed Southern ponce everywhere else is a cultural desert.

Deleted
    Don't you get it though? Britain has no culture because we're not continental Europe!
    It has no culture because it is mostly a succession of housing developments punctuated by clone towns. You people are fucking obsessed with your petty xenophobia.

15+ Year Old Account
    If there was a European Parliament maybe I'd agree.
    You're welcome.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    He is parodying the leave voters. It's a true performance act you have to know.
    Think so .

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    European Parliament is the only directly-elected body of the European Union.

The European Parliament is pointless because it's not the only legislative body of the EU.

Deleted
    We don't need the Queen's signature to enact laws.
    Yes, yes we do!

All Bills need to be passed for Royal Assent in order to become law. It's the final step.

Think so .
    Better than being a salty Anti-British Euro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stepal View Post
    Yes, yes we do!

All Bills need to be passed for Royal Assent in order to become law. It's the final step.
    It's a formality and has never been reppealed

But sure, the Queen is totally our evil overlord who controls everything

Anti-British? Hardly. I got pissed off yesterday when your politicians threatened the world with a recession because of their in-fighting.

Deleted
    You really suck at trolling. Try doing it with more subtlety.

Deleted
    I don't see how needing to prop up failing economies makes anyone strong.
    The UK, I mean Englad against the world! Sure that will go down well.

You don't see how a united continent is better than 30 countries ruled by a Farage?

Deleted
    Anti-British? Hardly. I got pissed off yesterday when your politicians threatened the world with a recession because of their in-fighting.
    I fear "recession" may be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Well this is it, it honestly sounds like you just "haven't noticed" the culture around you, which is why I asked if you were a Londoner; its very easy to disregard anytihng outside the M25 when you're inside it. Apparently.

https://eisteddfod.wales/about-us, just a starter...

I don't know how you go about objectively measuring how "cultured" a place is; from most of my perspectives throughout my life, London has been a pretentious pompous "Emperors New Clothes" of a city, which leeches all the raw talent and creativity from elsewhere in the UK simply because it is the place with all the money Nearly all of its culture is imported
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.