Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is ilvl cancer for wow...

What do you think, is ilvl now or gs before some sort of cancer for game, since that type of things in my own opinion, made wow community worse, forcing players to be more jerks and special snowflakes in game? Would you love that this sort of things never existed in wow before, even overall is not bad idea, but seeing how players use that, for me the best thing will be that ilvl or gs just gone...

cheers!!!

It is the basis of how stats are assigned to gear. If they don't show it, people will find a way to show it which is what gearscore was. At least with it being built into normal gameplay, you don't have new players who don't understand wtf a gearscore is.

If you do not want ilvl, then you do not want gear with stats. Simply put, see this thread. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-no-gear-in-it

Gear score is a very useful too in initially evaluating a players ability to handle content. I was very pleased to see it get used in widespread fashion as an evaluation criteria in wrath.

Gears score made this game great.

It's just a simpler way to judge people's gear which is their stats, or their power. Which shows what their character is capable of. Idk what you're talking abouts saying special snowflakes by having gs or ilvl... Also, players aren't jerks for not wanting low item levels in their groups. They want people with more power.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    Gear score is a very useful too in initially evaluating a players ability to handle content. I was very pleased to see it get used in widespread fashion as an evaluation criteria in wrath.

Gears core made this game great.
    Troll has made this thread great.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-06-28 at 05:21 PM.

It seems like you're asking for a game where there is no reward structure for acquiring new gear. Item level and Gear score exist to help identify the power of the gear you have equipped. You can't have one without the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Troll has made this thread great.
    I am not troll...I am night elf...but due to your greatness of your amazing brain, I will consider playing troll one day...anyway thx for advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Darchi View Post
    What do you think, is ilvl now or gs before some sort of cancer for game, since that type of things in my own opinion, made wow community worse, forcing players to be more jerks and special snowflakes in game? Would you love that this sort of things never existed in wow before, even overall is not bad idea, but seeing how players use that, for me the best thing will be that ilvl or gs just gone...

cheers!!!
    Wow items have always had an item level, it just wasn't displayed without an add on. Getting more powerful items is a core RPG game play mechanic. I'm not sure how you would play an RPG with no gear upgrades.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they removed ilvl from gear and through some miracle, no one would come up with a replacement (i.e. Gearscore)... People will find other ways to gauge a person's trackrecord or "skill". Either by looking at how much stamina or how much of a primary stat a player has. This will never go away unless people start to understand that a player's ilvl says NOTHING about that player's skill and neither do achievements. The best way I could imagine would be a testing system like the Proving Grounds, but of course that wouldn't be a perfect way either. Even after all this jumping through hoops to get accepted into a group at all... there's the ridiculous requirements most groups have for people to join in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It seems like you're asking for a game where there is no reward structure for acquiring new gear. Item level and Gear score exist to help identify the power of the gear you have equipped. You can't have one without the other.
    you are totally right m8 and I agree with you, but my concern is that players use ilvl in the totally wrong way...
    Last edited by Grof; 2016-06-28 at 05:06 PM. Reason: miss typo

You can't have a communist like WoW where everyone has equal power, and still keep WoW popular.
    How are players using item level in the wrong way? Please elaborate?
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2016-06-28 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    If they removed ilvl from gear and through some miracle, no one would come up with a replacement (i.e. Gearscore)... People will find other ways to gauge a person's trackrecord or "skill". Either by looking at how much stamina or how much of a primary stat a player has. This will never go away unless people start to understand that a player's ilvl says NOTHING about that player's skill and neither do achievements. The best way I could imagine would be a testing system like the Proving Grounds, but of course that wouldn't be a perfect way either. Even after all this jumping through hoops to get accepted into a group at all... there's the ridiculous requirements most groups have for people to join in the first place.
    If a player is full BiS, you can derive info from that gear about their skill. Sure, maybe they bought like 25 carries. But, most likely if they are fully geared, they were capable of doing the content when they got said gear. So, the notion that gear means nothing about skill is a little silly.

Only as far as it being one of the only indicators that groups pay attention to, yes it is.

I think the overemphasis on it and primary stats is questionable, and is designed to extend gearing and increase drop competition which I don't consider to be fun game play. But cancer? Dunno about that. There's melanoma, and then there's glioblastoma.

you are totally right m8 and I agree with you, but my concern is that players use ilvl in the totally wrong way...
    Tell us how they should use it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    You can't have a communist like WoW where everyone has equal power, and still keep WoW popular. WoW gained huge popularity because players could attain great power by completing challenges in the game.
    I wonder though if it would be helped if all 5-man dungeons were set up like Timewalking ones were you are locked into set stats but while the content was current. It just seems to me that the more players can overgear stuff the lazier and snobish they seem to become

While I truely dislike the high requirements of gs, that are often higher then the instance drops, when on alts. It also does bring it perks to more easely create a balanced groep. All in all, this game would not work without gs. The fact that people would make an addon for gs, and make it mandatory proofs it is more of a benefit then a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Most people already know that Ilvl doesn't mean someone is skilled but they need some measurement of how good this person this person might be. So they take the person with the higher ilvl since at least even if they aren't that great the extra stats will cover some of that. As two people with the same skill but different ilvls the one with the higher ilvl will do more dps.

cheers!!!
    numbers win. bigger numbers on gear win faster. nothing to see here.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    Tell us how they should use it then.
    Have it hidden, keep it hidden, somehow block addons from showing it.

Honestly it's much more of a playerbase problem than an ilvl problem these days. People are so obsessed with pretending to be top-tier e-sports heroes that they've largely abandoned any sense of community.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.