Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They should introduce new coin, platinum or whatever you call it, worth 100/1000 gold to adress ridiculous numbers. Apart from that, I have no problem with anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    There are some weaknesses with this idea. First off what currency do you use for old items that come from previous items that are BoE/BoU & are entirely player driven in regards to how much the item absorbs from the economy (namely TCG mounts, which are sought after by many buyers & amass tons of gold for sellers & dupers)?

Another problem lies in how the auction house works right now. How would a currency reset decide how items are listed from previous expansions? Do you only allow items from a current expansion to even be listed, thus only allowing the AH to control current content items? Do you allow filters for different expansion items to be sought after for people who have different fortunes for different currencies? What do you do if the few people who are excellent AH barons still massively jack up prices for current content items, which still leaves other players in the dust?
    Regarding your last point, I can see exactly how it would "work" (still a terrible idea, though). Different tabs for different expansion content would separate things or just have it all listed under the same thing (messy, but I'll get to it in a sec).

BUT, the loophole around all of this is being able to "convert" from one currency to another. If anyone here has played Path of Exile, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about and could probably elaborate on it more than I will. There are a dozen different currencies in the game, the most valuable being the rarest, and they're all tradeable, items and currency. As long as gold is a usable currency, it will be able to be traded, because that's how it works, regardless of it being "BC gold" vs "WoD gold". Now for some number examples. So, lets say 1 BC gold is worth 10 WotLK gold. If I wanted to buy the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth, but all I had was BC gold, I would just go trade with someone 1.7k BC gold for 17k WotLK gold. It's all effectively the same thing as if you removed the actual numbers from real world money, but everyone still knew their inherent value.

Outside of all of this, what would you do about the current gold? Just set it all to WoD gold?

You're inventing a problem where none exists. It doesn't matter that some players have millions of gold; in no way does it impede the progress of new players. They can level their characters and professions and start raiding if they want to.
    All it would accomplish is ruin the progress of existing players. Dumb idea.

literally such a bad and useless idea with no merit. WTB downvote button. this is not a real problem.

Inflation in itself prevent a too large "headstart". If i had sit on the "huge goldpile" i had in vanilla, then stopped playing for 10 years, then came back, i wouldn't be called rich at all, so where's the headstart ?

Inflation is bad when the prices or cost of living increases faster than salary, which is a real life problem in alot of country at the momment. It is clearly not a problem is WoW. Prices in wow increase over time because the amount of gold you can "create" in a given amount of time increase as well, period. Not because some players sits in alot of gold.

Honestly i think the economy in wow is in very good health considering the fact that the game is 11 years old.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    I started a new character from level 1 on a brand new server. By the time I got to 100, I had almost 6,000 gold that I didn't buy a copper of and without adding anything active to her progress her pile, I'm at 200k. I was able to afford things just fine. I learned to make what I needed and buy luxuries when I could afford them.. just like it should be in oh... real life!? It wasn't hard and I certainly didn't put much effort into it. If someone is poor, that's ALL on them as this game offers many ways to make money ranging from 10 minutes a day to hours a day if you feel the need.

I don't get why it's such a big deal if people have money and we NEED to have gold sinks. It's not like there's only so much gold to go around and only 1% of the population has it all. Everyone can have 10 million if they wanted to work for it. Why do we need ways to get rid of it? All you can do is repair, boost up alts faster and that's really about it. So whats the big deal!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Every expansion is like a reset button for equipment so new players can catch up. Achievements get easy or if not doable anymore turn into feats of strength. So Blizzard does everything to level the playfield so all players - new and old - have pretty much the same basis. EXCEPT for gold.

Sind gold is the currency since vanilla the only way to equalize was to give more and more gold with each expansion so new players can catch up to at least afford basic stuff. But the auction house increased the prices for even basic items until it's pretty much stupid now.

The solution - have a new currency for each expansion to pay for all stuff. So if you want to buy Legion gear you need to pay with Legion gold and you get legion gold in legion. When you go to BC or WotlK you get BC or WotlK gold. Just think about it for a while before flaming and dismissing the idea.
    Good lord this is just fantastically stupid. WoW with its already dwindling playerbase, and you want to alienate every single player who plays late expansion to make gold in order to prepare for the upcoming expansion. And for what? Because your lazy ass can't make any gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    Why do we need to be shut down? Lol. Makes it sound like we're bad people/doing something wrong Terrible idea, glad it will never happen.
    Why people rant about it in the real world and claim it's an issue. At least this is a game where everything SHOULD be equal. Real life shouldn't be equal and people are always like TAX THE RICH COMMUNISM IDEALS RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. When you're sitting on a mountain of gold you literally control the servers economy and that is a bad thing. They run the AH. They run all trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Good lord this is just fantastically stupid. WoW with its already dwindling playerbase, and you want to alienate every single player who plays late expansion to make gold in order to prepare for the upcoming expansion. And for what? Because your lazy ass can't make any gold?
    0 evidence given and only namecalling. Gotta love the logic people use these days to argue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xenyatta View Post
    I started a new character from level 1 on a brand new server. By the time I got to 100, I had almost 6,000 gold that I didn't buy a copper of and without adding anything active to her progress her pile, I'm at 200k. I was able to afford things just fine. I learned to make what I needed and buy luxuries when I could afford them.. just like it should be in oh... real life!? It wasn't hard and I certainly didn't put much effort into it. If someone is poor, that's ALL on them as this game offers many ways to make money ranging from 10 minutes a day to hours a day if you feel the need.

I don't get why it's such a big deal if people have money and we NEED to have gold sinks. It's not like there's only so much gold to go around and only 1% of the population has it all. Everyone can have 10 million if they wanted to work for it. Why do we need ways to get rid of it? All you can do is repair, boost up alts faster and that's really about it. So whats the big deal!?
    Yet in real life the rich are constantly vilified and tax up the wazoo and still expected to pay more. So I'm guessing you're in favor of a flat tax irl rather than percent based or flat percent rather than a scaling percent like we have in the US. Fact of the matter is that this is a game not rl so things should be equalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    The solution - have a new currency for each expansion to pay for all stuff. So if you want to buy Legion gear you need to pay with Legion gold and you get legion gold in legion. When you go to BC or WotlK you get BC or WotlK gold. Just think about it for a while before flaming and dismissing the idea.
    So how exactly would that work? Like if I wanted to buy Nethercloth to make some cheap, mid ranged bags would i have to take my level 110 back to TBC and farm up the TBC gold to buy the netherweave with?

If that's the case, I think it's a horrible idea. If that's not the case, it really defeats the whole purpose.

What they need to do is cut out the increased inflation, period. If it's an easy mob, you're going to get copper for killing it; Medium mob difficulty - silver; Hard - gold. Dungeons can drop between 1-2 gold per mob, raids can drop between 3-5. Once the next expansion releases, everything either needs to immediately become copper / easy or slowly as you level it drops. Same goes for gear; greys - a few copper, whites - more copper, green - a few silver, blues - more silver, purple - a few gold, legendary - more gold. Again, it could be dependent on character level or expansion so level 110 people don't go running Molten Core just because those purples carry the same value as max level raids. That also means they'd have to lower the cost of repairs, vendor items, etc. but overall I think it could be healthy for the game.

What we've seen is hyper inflation, and not just on cosmetic items. If it were only on cosmetic items, I'd say "leave it alone and call it a day." because gold wouldn't matter in that case. As that's not the case though, it's time for a crunch. Rip the band aid off now and get it over with.

There are some weaknesses with this idea. First off what currency do you use for old items that come from previous items that are BoE/BoU & are entirely player driven in regards to how much the item absorbs from the economy (namely TCG mounts, which are sought after by many buyers & amass tons of gold for sellers & dupers)?

Another problem lies in how the auction house works right now. How would a currency reset decide how items are listed from previous expansions? Do you only allow items from a current expansion to even be listed, thus only allowing the AH to control current content items? Do you allow filters for different expansion items to be sought after for people who have different fortunes for different currencies? What do you do if the few people who are excellent AH barons still massively jack up prices for current content items, which still leaves other players in the dust?
    That addresses the people making thousands from old expansions by making the items valueless. I'm sorry you shouldn't be making thousands facerolling through Cata raids(which is getting nerfed in Legion).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Those that leveled during the previous expansion have an advantage because they start out a higher level so everyones level should be reset to 1 at the start of a new expansion.
    Leveling is a part of the game. Acting like Scrooge McDuck and swimming in a vault of gold is not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    So how exactly would that work? Like if I wanted to buy Nethercloth to make some cheap, mid ranged bags would i have to take my level 110 back to TBC and farm up the TBC gold to buy the netherweave with?

If that's the case, I think it's a horrible idea. If that's not the case, it really defeats the whole purpose.

What they need to do is cut out the increased inflation, period. If it's an easy mob, you're going to get copper for killing it; Medium mob difficulty - silver; Hard - gold. Dungeons can drop between 1-2 gold per mob, raids can drop between 3-5. Once the next expansion releases, everything either needs to immediately become copper / easy or slowly as you level it drops. Same goes for gear; greys - a few copper, whites - more copper, green - a few silver, blues - more silver, purple - a few gold, legendary - more gold. Again, it could be dependent on character level or expansion so level 110 people don't go running Molten Core just because those purples carry the same value as max level raids. That also means they'd have to lower the cost of repairs, vendor items, etc. but overall I think it could be healthy for the game.

What we've seen is hyper inflation, and not just on cosmetic items. If it were only on cosmetic items, I'd say "leave it alone and call it a day." because gold wouldn't matter in that case. As that's not the case though, it's time for a crunch. Rip the band aid off now and get it over with.
    No they just wouldn't be able to vendored, but you can still farm them or sell them on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Why people rant about it in the real world and claim it's an issue. At least this is a game where everything SHOULD be equal. Real life shouldn't be equal and people are always like TAX THE RICH COMMUNISM IDEALS RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. When you're sitting on a mountain of gold you literally control the servers economy and that is a bad thing. They run the AH. They run all trade.
    No, they don't. You can sell for whatever you want; if they buy your stuff and re-list, you still just made money.

Rare items might be expensive, but that's going to be the case no matter what.

Unlike the real world, there are numerous ways to create money, and materials never fully deplete. You can always fight back.

0 evidence given and only namecalling. Gotta love the logic people use these days to argue.
    Lots of other people have given reasons and explanations... so the question is, do you actually have reasons to back up your position (other than the factually incorrect "They run the AH. They run all trade." statement?

That addresses the people making thousands from old expansions by making the items valueless. I'm sorry you shouldn't be making thousands facerolling through Cata raids(which is getting nerfed in Legion).

- - - Updated - - -

Leveling is a part of the game. Acting like Scrooge McDuck and swimming in a vault of gold is not.
    Though what about TCG mounts? Those items have nothing to do with older content really & their massive value comes down to the ever present demand for them by collectors/completionists.

I'd be all for this. People sitting on gold mines need to be shut down and this is 100% a great way to go about it rather than shove in things the little people will never touch.

I will have 7 million gold by the time Legion launches and not a damn thing you can do about it lol.

I'll be sure to /wave to you and all the other peasants on my new 2 million gold spider mount.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yet in real life the rich are constantly vilified and tax up the wazoo and still expected to pay more. So I'm guessing you're in favor of a flat tax irl rather than percent based or flat percent rather than a scaling percent like we have in the US. Fact of the matter is that this is a game not rl so things should be equalized.
    It's a game, so we should impose a very real, and very terrible, 'tax' to ruin the fun of playing said game? How many contradictions can you fit into a single post?
    The game is not "supposed to be equal". It's supposed to be fun. Why don't we introduce a little anarchy and let players make their own fun with the gold they've earned either farming or playing the auction house.

And my opinion is that we are equal, in that we all have equal access and equal opportunity.

Think that's wrong? Explain why, instead of stating your opinion as fact while simultaneously deriding others for not providing evidence.

Evidence? For what, WoW's dwindling numbers? The fact that making old money obsolete alienates people who play late expansion to get gold?

How about you try piercing the logic you're bitching about rather than just simply bitch?

Though what about TCG mounts? Those items have nothing to do with older content really & their massive value comes down to the ever present demand for them by collectors/completionists.
    Shush, that's a real complaint. That might get in the way of "I hate people with lots of gold" rant.

*shrug* There were tons of problems with the idea given on the first 3 or so pages of the thread. They boil down to: practicality, currency trading, not actually solving inflation (merely delaying it), creating new economies that old players will still dominate (with less opportunity for them to be counteracted, due to lower player base in that content), and the fact that players don't actually need that much gold, so much of the problem is entirely made up in the first place (for instance, "Materials are too expensive" is easily solved by gathering your own materials, even if you don't want to sell things people want to make thousands of gold in short order.)

How about if one expansion we go to a new planet and need to use a new currency? We'd keep old Azeroth gold of course.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    My point was that people like to overspend with money they don't have for luxuries they don't need instead of waiting to buy them when they actually have the money to be able to pay for it.

Reminds me of the badge system from WotLK where we got a new badge every raid tier to avoid people hoarding badges to buy the best gear when a patch hits. How'd that go? Blizzard eventually reduced it to justice and valor badges (which then got reduced to points). The UI just got too convoluted with so many badges.

Introducing a new currency every expansion to combat gold is already done anyway although is often used alongside gold. Badges have been used for years instead of gold for many items. In other cases, other currency have been used like the mushrooms with Sporeggar, mark of the world tree with the Molten Front, and apexis with Draenor. Perhaps Blizzard should put more emphasis on the expansion currency rather than gold, but then our ability to trade it will likely go up in smoke since we currently can't trade non-gold currency.