Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    I could see it now.

Anti-Twerking Legislation: Any white girls caught twirking without a ratchet license is to be fined $10,000 on the spot.
    You know, that doesn't even sound that bad

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I just hope all those BLM protestors that take over college buildings aren't ordering pizza or Asian food...because that would make them hypocrites.
    And don't have blonde weaves in. Or nail polish(chinese invented that).

lol Ratchet license.

Where do you acquire said license?
    At the liquor store. It has to be in a "hood" cause it is issued by the guys loitering the parking lots. And don't let the bums scam you. Homeless do not have the authority to sign off on this.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Things like this aren't a problem (to the non-whackos); the problem generally arises when people take something sacred, like headdresses, and make a cheap costume for people to mock. Or any other religious items that people take and turn into a mockery.
    Non-point, given that people who spout cultural appropriation arbitrarily deem the uses of traditional garbs and the like as mockery

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    Unfortunately, it's a case of the squeaky wheel getting the oil. It's just disproportionate attention that then becomes sensationalist. It gets a knee-jerk reaction from those that cave, and people see them cave (or worse, are pointed at them and saying 'look how thoughtful they are') and then cave as well because bad publicity.
    Well, at some point another group comes to the scene that then protests it actions and behaviour (granted that exists to some extend already). Right now we aren't really doing much, seeing as we often time act like fools ourselves when these things comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    At the liquor store. It has to be in a "hood" cause it is issued by the guys loitering the parking lots. And don't let the bums scam you. Homeless do not have the authority to sign off on this.
    sigh.....

I do admit, I love me a fine looking booty twerking. It has to be fine though, no refrigerator booties

Non-point, given that people who spout cultural appropriation arbitrarily deem the uses of traditional garbs and the like as mockery
    Traditional garb usually tends to be sacred or semi-sacred, depending what you're talking about.

Or an outright stereotypical fuckery (you know the ones.. "mexican!" that's a sombrero, poncho, and big mustache).

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol Ratchet license.

Where do you acquire said license?
    By the same organization that provides subsidies to weave consumers in a hood near you: The Long fingernailed everyone has to hear your fucking conversation organization for the promotion of "independent" black women.

My kid has Black/Asian/white ancestry.

I'm gonna send him to school rocking traditional African garb one day, some Asian garb another, and then some SWISS suspenders or some shit the next.

I'll await some moron saying how he isn't allowed. ..that it he will be picked on and hate me for it. But really, who the fuck is pure anything these days?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been around for many years. Pretty silly concept, IMO. It essentially states that cultures have a monopoly on certain things, and others, when doing those things, have to be aware of what culture they belong to and how they are supposed to do them.

How about a new concept: freedom of expression! People are free to do whatever they want, as long as they don't violate the law. Boom, problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    How about a new concept: freedom of expression! People are free to do whatever they want, as long as they don't violate the law. And others have the right to be offended. Boom, problem solved!
    I don't think anyone's calling for cultural appropriation to be illegal, so it seems like you're just describing the status quo here: people are free to be insensitive idiots, and others are free to criticise them for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peer View Post
    I don't think anyone's calling for cultural appropriation to be illegal, so it seems like you're just describing the status quo here: people are free to be insensitive idiots, and others are free to criticise them for it.
    Well, by "free" I meant not just free legally (they already are), but also free from societal backlash. I can understand if someone is being offended by someone not understanding what, say, a certain symbol means to them and using it in a wrong way - but, ultimately, living in a multi-cultural society, people should be ready for such things to be happening.

Now, "cultural appropriation" with explicitly negative goals, such as to mock a religion, or to promote hate against a national group - these things are another matter, of course.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

I can understand if someone is being offended by someone not understanding what, say, a certain symbol means to them and using it in a wrong way - but, ultimately, living in a multi-cultural society, people should be ready for such things to be happening.
    Sure, I agree, and when the person using the symbol is informed of what they're doing, their reaction should be "okay, sorry, I didn't know what this object meant to you", like any reasonable adult. The kind of reaction this thread appears to be condoning, something like "lol you silly native american there's no such thing as appropriation, it's made up by the sjws! So I'm gonna keep wearing this headdress to halloween thank you" is childish, insensitive and should be mocked.

Sure, I agree, and when the person using the symbol is informed of what they're doing, their reaction should be "okay, sorry, I didn't know what this object meant to you", like any reasonable adult. The kind of reaction this thread appears to be condoning, something like "lol you silly native american there's no such thing as appropriation, it's made up by the sjws! So I'm gonna keep wearing this headdress to halloween thank you" is childish, insensitive and should be mocked.
    There's nothing wrong with wearing a headdress to halloween.

Oh shit, when I was a kid I wore a (american) cowboy costume to carneval. Did I hurt someone here? I'm so sorry.

By the same organization that provides subsidies to weave consumers in a hood near you: The Long fingernailed everyone has to hear your fucking conversation organization for the promotion of "independent" black women.
    Hey now, don't forget the head bobs while saying "ummm hmmmm"

I jest I jest. I do love me some good twerking, regardless of race

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    There's nothing wrong with wearing a headdress to halloween.
    Thanks, arbiter of right and wrong. Be sure to tell (for example) the native americans who object to that kind of thing that they're simply mistaken.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, a SJW/PC idiocy that MMO-champion is largely unified against.

Good show, MMO-C, good show.

A friend of mine sent me a link to a youtube vid "APPROPRIATE THIS!" but the guy basically goes through how much is "appropriated" from Europeans without credit, either.

But, as the guy on the first page pointed out, it used to be said if you don't embrace other cultures, you were a racist, yet now if you do, you're also a racist. The goal is just to be able to call anyone a racist (much like the government effectively makes so many laws so that they can accuse anyone of breaking a law at any time, or the penny is in circulation for a DNA database - ...according to Homer Simpson, anyway.

The point is, they want to be able to attack anyone who's different than them. So they say if you don't embrace their culture, you're a racist. But if you do - something that is a GOOD THING as it brings people together and lowers the walls between us - you're ALSO a racist. In fact, the only way you AREN'T a racist, to a SJW, is if you're one of them. And a minority - since white SJWs still, and they self-admit to this, have "white privilege", "male privilege" if they're male, and micro aggress.

The SJW culture is that anything not-traditionally Western is bad, and the only traditionally Western people who are allowed to NOT be bad...are those who apologize and humble themselves to everyone else. They're allowed a sort of "second-class citizen" status in this brave new, SJW world.

But hey, there's hope when even MMO-C realizes that this kind of thing is stupid.

Now, "cultural appropriation" with explicitly negative goals, such as to mock a religion, or to promote hate against a national group - these things are another matter, of course.
    America doesn't really have hate laws. Promoting violence towards a group? Illegal. those examples you gave? Crappy things to do but legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, how do I put it... It really depends. If, for example, I make a joke that happens to offend someone without me being aware, I will smile, apologize and explain that I just wanted people to have a good time and didn't have any malicious intent. If, however, someone dislikes my hair style and tells me that this style symbolizes oppression in their culture or something - I will say, well, sorry, I didn't know, but I like my style and it has nothing to do with your culture. I'm not going to change it just because someone finds it offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    America doesn't really have hate laws. Promoting violence towards a group? Illegal. those examples you gave? Crappy things to do but legal.
    Yes, it is legal, and, I believe, it should be legal. It should also be pointed out and criticized though.