Thread: Beef cheeks

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Beef cheeks

So I recently had the opportunity to try braised beef cheeks and I discovered how good they are when braised. So in an effort to find more sources to get them I've called numerous butchers near me and most of them want me to buy a whole case and the other one has them but they're frozen. I went to a butcher today at the grocery store and I asked if they sold them. He's like what are beef cheeks? So is this cut really that seldom used that a butcher wouldn't even know what they were?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I recently had the opportunity to try braised beef cheeks and I discovered how good they are when braised. So in an effort to find more sources to get them I've called numerous butchers near me and most of them want me to buy a whole case and the other one has them but they're frozen. I went to a butcher today at the grocery store and I asked if they sold them. He's like what are beef cheeks? So is this cut really that seldom used that a butcher wouldn't even know what they were?
    It's a pretty cheap cut of meat, most butchers wouldn't carry it. You might have to go to an ethnic butcher.

Wow! That's what my gf calls me!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I doubt you were actually talking to a butcher and just a stock boy. Seeing how "beef cheek" isn't really anything left up to question. They can be hard to find since they are rarely used. Most stores use the same generic popular cuts of each animal over and over. That is why the meat section in all major chain stores are pretty much identical.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Came for the title. Stayed for the interesting meat facts.

Deleted
    I don't know why, but the thought of stealing a cow's cheeks really disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I don't know why, but the thought of stealing a cow's cheeks really disgusts me.
    You're ok with stealing the rest of it's body but you stop at the cheeks?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Mexicans call it "cabeza" meat. They barbecue a cows head and scrape the meat off, I've only had it in tacos.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Mexicans call it "cabeza" meat. They barbecue a cows head and scrape the meat off, I've only had it in tacos.
    That has all sorts of other bits and pieces in with it. While you will still get cheek meat with that it wont only be cheek. The other parts are normally worse and used to stretch the meat amount and feed more.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Obviously I meant to write 'eating'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Braised beef cheek is indeed very tasty.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wow! That's what my gf calls me!
    Might want to up the cardio bro
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Principles. We gotta draw the line somewhere.

This whole time I thought we were talking "butt" cheeks. I am now less amused.

Love beef cheeks. I make them in my slow cooker every so often. Rich gravy, mashed potatoes and cheeks- really simple and lovely.

Though most often I braise the cheeks for tacos. It's a common street food in Mexico where they braise the cheeks for hours till fork tender. A nice tangy slaw goes best with it, imo.

7+ Year Old Account
    I honestly didnt expect this to be a cow related topic.

I learned something today and thats always good

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What about its penis? Bull penis is a delicacy in Asia and the Caribbean

love me some juicy beef ass

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What you do behind closed doors is your business.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What you do behind closed doors is your business.
    Bull penis is for eating, silly.

Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I've had it in a 'caldo'.

The flavor is very... potent. The bone/cartilage are unmistakable. And the balls. They put the balls in the soup.

The meat is kinda tough and very chewy, but not too fatty. Sorta squeaky like cheese curds.