Thread: Beef cheeks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista
    What about its penis? Bull penis is a delicacy in Asia and the Caribbean
    It's alright. I'm more likely to order it just for entertainment value though. There are stereotypes here about what a foreigner will eat, and ordering outside of the stereotype tends to cause great confusion.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    It's alright. I'm more likely to order it just for entertainment value though. There are stereotypes here about what a foreigner will eat, and ordering outside of the stereotype tends to cause great confusion.
    How long have you been living in the East, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I've had it in a 'caldo'.

The flavor is very... potent. The bone/cartilage are unmistakable. And the balls. They put the balls in the soup.

The meat is kinda tough and very chewy, but not too fatty. Sorta squeaky like cheese curds.
    Ha. Your description makes me want to give it a try. Soup sounds like the perfect medium for a tough meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista
    How long have you been living in the East, out of curiosity?
    Roughly 16 years now. It sounds longer than it seems.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Ha. Your description makes me want to give it a try. Soup sounds like the perfect medium for a tough meat.
    The flavor is not bad. It's basically an extremely rich broth. The taste is as I said, potent. The texture was not what I expected though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The flavor is not bad. It's basically an extremely rich broth. The taste is as I said, potent. The texture was not what I expected though.
    So technically the soup is ball sweat.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    @mayhem008

More importantly:

An American tourist in Spain goes to a restaurant and notices another guy eating some weird thing. He calls the waiter and says, "Excuse me. Can I have that same dish, please?"

The waiter says, "No sir, You can't."

He asks, "Why not?"

Waiter: "Because, sir, they are the balls of a bull."

Man: "So what? I want them!"

Waiter: "No, sir. You dont understand. Here in Spain, bullfights occur, and the balls of the bull are chopped off and supplied to our restaurant, so we get only one pair of bull's balls a day. If you like, I'll reserve the next pair for you."

Man: "Okay, I'll come back tommorow."

The next day, the man goes in and is served a pair of small balls. Outraged he asks, "What the hell is this! Yesterday's balls were much bigger!"

Waiter : You don't understand something, sir. Sometimes the bull wins."

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So technically the soup is ball sweat.
    I've tasted ball sweat. Caldo de Cardon is not it. Ball sweat is another degree of pungency. Believe me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stateside, there are a quite a few of what I just refer to as "ethnic" cuts that go unused or thrown in to be ground into hamburger. As for the butcher(s) that didn't know what the cut was, well that's mostly because the majority of Americans have never heard of a certain cut, so old school "use everything" butchers didn't pass that kind of knowledge onto the newer bunch. I'd recommend trying to find a more ethnic butcher, or buy frozen because there's nothing really wrong with buying frozen beef products. Especially something like beef cheeks where there is a finite quantity per slaughter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in south Texas (maybe most of Texas but I haven't checked) lots of places sell Barbacoa (beef cheek) on the weekends (usually sunday). It's like a comfort food. Put it in some corn tortillas with cilantro/onions and you got yourself a really tasty breakfast/lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What about its penis? Bull penis is a delicacy in Asia and the Caribbean
    Do you eat it or just suck on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wow! That's what my gf calls me!
    goddamn it, beat me to it!
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    I didn't know what to expect when clicking on this post. Needless to say, I'm disappointed.

So good news, I was talking to one of the ladies I work with about beef cheeks and she gave me the name of a mexican grocery store that sells them fresh. I'll be going to get some on Friday. Will eat on saturday.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    So good news, I was talking to one of the ladies I work with about beef cheeks and she gave me the name of a mexican grocery store that sells them fresh. I'll be going to get some on Friday. Will eat on saturday.
    I'd recommend going through a local butcher instead, if you can find one in this day and age. I thankfully only have to drive 15 min to get to one. It's a lot more expansive, but the quality is better than most Asian or Mexican places. I get tongue and ox tails from an Asian market, but only if I am short on time or am lazy.

Oh and supermarket butchers... Don't ever waste your time there...

If you are in Seattle area, you can get Halibut cheeks at Seattle Fish Company, in west Seattle. Fresh, usually in stock, great quality and fun staff. Highly recommended. There is a local butcher on the next block as well, but you have to order everything. It's a tiny shop, the quality is great, but they simply have very little space to have inventory of lower demand meats. I go here for that:

http://shawnandteds.com
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-06-29 at 04:08 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I'd recommend going through a local butcher instead, if you can find one in this day and age. I thankfully only have to drive 15 min to get to one. It's a lot more expansive, but the quality is better than most Asian or Mexican places. I get tongue and ox tails from an Asian market, but only if I am short on time or am lazy.

Oh and supermarket butchers... Don't ever waste your time there...
    Yeah this is a mexican grocery store and only about 15 minutes away from me. The lady I talked to about it goes up there all the time and buys them.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this is a mexican grocery store and only about 15 minutes away from me. The lady I talked to about it goes up there all the time and buys them.
    I'm sure it will be fine. Don't mean to dog it, espeacially sense I've never been there.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

So this is how my cheeks turned out.

#IStandWithGinaCarano