Poll: What is the best video game of all time? The best ever made

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    You gotta learn the difference between opinions and facts. My personal Favorite is GTA V, but Tetris by far outshines it in terms of how playable it is and has been for decades.
    Not to mention how mind boggling difficult it can be. Mainly lookin at TGM 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Look into your hearts people, you know these words to be true: Tetris is the only correct answer here. Why?

It's the only game in this list that you can put on a mother fucking keychain.

/micdrop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "Over 100 locations of copy pasta content".

Sounds like a Ubisoft game to me, and even when I enjoy those I never come away thinking they have great open worlds.

Compared to GTAV where literally no building is used twice, 1000s of different clutter models to appear and give the feeling of density, and the wild location differences from beach to city to forest to desert. Yea, fallout 3/4 are a joke compared to the pieced together world there.

Not that I blame Bethesda, Fallout games are made by 100 people on a budget dwarfed by GTA but facts remain facts. Bethesda builds an open world off of copy pasting assets and that's never going to qualify as "the best" of anything.

Also don't think Demon's Souls is the most innovative game of the last 10 years. The online features of the game where innovative sure, but compared to games like Splatoon or Valkyria Chronicles or even Mario Galaxy that innovation was pretty bland. They took the monster hunter model and added pvp to it.
    The fuck is that strawman? I never said that.

The architecture of the GTA games is certainly impressive, but I never felt the need to explore the world. It was just a sandbox to fuck around it and do some great missions. It's easy to make the buildings different when you never enter them. Stumbling upon areas like the Dunwich Building is still a high point of open world gaming. We seem to fundamentally have different opinions on what a great open world game is, which is fine and ultimately not what this thread is about so I feel no need to argue about it.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario by far but how exactly is it innovative? Mario in space is innovative now? Don't confuse great with innovative. Demon's Souls inspired an entire genre. Splatoon and Valkyria are unique but they have little to no impact on the industry as a whole. Demon's Souls brought something new as well as having those features have a real impact on the gaming industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The fuck is that strawman? I never said that.
    Never said you said it. I corrected it for you.

The architecture of the GTA games is certainly impressive, but I never felt the need to explore the world. It was just a sandbox to fuck around it and do some great missions. It's easy to make the buildings different when you never enter them. Stumbling upon areas like the Dunwich Building is still a high point of open world gaming. We seem to fundamentally have different opinions on what a great open world game is, which is fine and ultimately not what this thread is about so I feel no need to argue about it.
    Again just because you can enter 100 buildings with reuses assets does not make something impressive in the least.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario by far but how exactly is it innovative? Mario in space is innovative now? Don't confuse great with innovative. Demon's Souls inspired an entire genre. Splatoon and Valkyria are unique but they have little to no impact on the industry as a whole. Demon's Souls brought something new as well as having those features have a real impact on the gaming industry.
    Mario Galaxy was innovative in the way Mario controlled, about as large of a jump as 2D->3D mario was controls wise and one of the FEW cases of motion controls I actually liked.

What is this genre that Souls inspired? Action adventure rpgs? LOL. Souls took the monster hunter model, put more production value behind it and added PVP. Monster Hunter "invented" that "genre" if anything. Splatoon was some of the first innovation in the shooting team based genre that we had seen since freaking Quake back in the 90s. Valkyria Chronicles is still a complete unique game that is unlike anything before or after it.

Hell Splatoon sold more on the Wii U's small install base then Bloodborne did on the PS4s massive install base and we're talking impact on gaming? Splatoon dominated the internet in it's launch window like no Souls game ever has from fan art to memes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Again just because you can enter 100 buildings with reuses assets does not make something impressive in the least.
    What makes it impressive is that you can walk in any direction, find a location, and uncover interesting content. Is the actual level design impressive? No, but the world design is.

Mario Galaxy was innovative in the way Mario controlled, about as large of a jump as 2D->3D mario was controls wise and one of the FEW cases of motion controls I actually liked.
    Okay, where's the impact? What has Galaxy inspired? Where are all the 3D platformers implementing motion control because it makes the game so much better? Galaxy was just Mario 64 with some motion control thrown in. They really didn't add much to the game, but they also didn't detract anything from it either. Doing something well isn't innovative. It's just impressive.

What is this genre that Souls inspired? Action adventure rpgs? LOL. Souls took the monster hunter model, put more production value behind it and added PVP. Monster Hunter "invented" that "genre" if anything. Splatoon was some of the first innovation in the shooting team based genre that we had seen since freaking Quake back in the 90s. Valkyria Chronicles is still a complete unique game that is unlike anything before or after it.
    Ever heard of the term Soulslike? Much like Metroidvania before it, Demon's Souls has already inspired so many games. From Lords of the Fallen and Salt and Sanctuary to upcoming titles like Eitr and Nioh. Splatoon and Valkyria are unique. They are also innovative. But in order to be the "most innovative" it has to have innovation and impact. Demon's Souls came out in 2009 and it's already spawned a genre. Valkyria and Splatoon simply haven't inspired as many developers.

Also, Demon's Souls was certainly inspired by Monster Hunter, but the bloodstain mechanic, the seemless online functionality, and even the cryptic lore are things that are enormous parts of the game and things that no games did before. Including Monster Hunter.

Hell Splatoon sold more on the Wii U's small install base then Bloodborne did on the PS4s massive install base and we're talking impact on gaming? Splatoon dominated the internet in it's launch window like no Souls game ever has from fan art to memes.
    Sales don't equal impact. Developers making games based off of your work does. The shooter genre is going the way of TF2 and Overwatch. Not Splatoon.

There's no such thing as a "best" overall game... maybe if you separated it by Genres.

I've gone with the FPS genre; Half-Life... easily THE best FPS, revolutionary as well as making mods mainstream.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-06-29 at 01:19 AM.

Deleted
    I don't really have one. I enjoy different things in different genres. It's more or less impossible to compare. Even then, most of my top picks aren't on that list.

It's funny to read the discussions here, though. "The game you like is so bad because reasons. My favourite game is much better because reasons." TLDR would be: Different people enjoy different things. Shocking.

Deleted
    Tech is the only asshole I can imagine bickering over other people's game of choice.

OT: I absolutely adored shenmue series.

I do not think it is sensible to ask what is the best video game of all time and include an entire video game series as options in the polling. There is a serious lack of thought put into polls online.

Come on.

what is the objectively best video game of all time
    There is no such a thing. It's an impossibility.

Having said that, this is my vote: Ico.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You're hilarious. There were online guides in 1998...
    Not in Australia, without the internet there wasn't. Shocking as it may be your life isn't a mirror image of anyone elses.

WOW and madden are the games I have enjoyed playing the longest. I would say they are the greatest of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Not in Australia, without the internet there wasn't. Shocking as it may be your life isn't a mirror image of anyone elses.
    Hi Aussie here. I looked stuff up about zelda when it was new on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Hi Aussie here. I looked stuff up about zelda when it was new on the internet.
    I didn't get the internet until 1999. Look at that, my life experience was different to yours. I hope you were sitting down when you read that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked WoW... To mean it will always be my favorite game. Sooo... many hours (real life years) spent in it.

I gotta say Tetris is a pretty clever answer for the many reasons that have already been stated and one I couldn't argue with.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why is Fallout listed as a series, but Skyrim a standalone?
    Personally I'd say Elder Scrolls series (not counting ESO because lel) purely because I put so many hundreds of hours into Morrowind alone, not even counting the other four.
    That being said, Arena and Daggerfall are so very painful to play now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I didn't get the internet until 1999. Look at that, my life experience was different to yours. I hope you were sitting down when you read that.
    You were the one that said not in australia as if your speaking for all aussies.

wow 0% for metal gear psh lmao

that deserves atleast like 5%

not sayings its my ultimate favorite but deff my top 5 easily would pay $60 and not care.
    Last edited by ali725; 2016-06-29 at 04:36 AM.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    For as "Meh" as I find it currently, I would have to say WoW. There is no other game (and probably never will be again) that I have spent so much of my life playing, and IMO time invested directly equates to quality of product. If the product was bad, or even just good, I would never have invested so much time into it, I would have just uninstalled it and never thought about it again like 90% of my Steam library, and 99% of games I have ever played.
    The fact that I have put almost 12 years into 1 game that I STILL play, is a testament to it's impact on my life, and it's overall quality.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    You were the one that said not in australia as if your speaking for all aussies.
    I only speak for myself, it's on you if you thought I was speaking for anyone else.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-06-29 at 04:49 AM.