Quote Originally Posted by Morkrul View Post
    People still spewing that the movie didn't recoup its costs. Yes, it did. Stop trying to twist it. The movie is already making a profit. And it'll make even more.
    People are still spewing idiocy that because gross box office > production cost, it recouped its cost. No, it didn't. Stop being utterly clueless about how business and basic arithmetic work.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It was estimated at $500, but you get the real profit from domestic releases only. The Pacific Rim made more than half of its budget, but Warcraft made less than third.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Mind telling us based on what you make this guesstimate,
    We depend on statements from people like those writing for Variety, who should know about such things.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    i seen it twice. was awesome in IMAX 3D
    kinda sad it tanked in the US so a sequel might not happen

i thought it was good and enjoyed it both times. Gul Dan is a total BAD ASS do not fuck with him!!!
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Mind telling us based on what you make this guesstimate, because so far I see people taking numbers out of their asses, like that 400 million break point people were flaunting a while ago... Well it broke it now, so tell me, if it is not enough for you, how much this movie has to bring then? After all you seem to be expert in the field, so what's the magic number now?
    My numbers are these: $160 mil production (sourced) + $100 mil marketing (sourced), and all that multiplied by a rough factor of 2 reflecting the cut taking by the middlemen, which is coming from similar evaluations for previous movies and from sources like the Hollywood Reporter, where industry experts comment. The weakest link is that factor of 2 - it could be noticeably smaller or noticeably larger, depending on how much of a cut the movie creators got from gross sales on average. And since most of the sales in this case are overseas, well... I don't think it is much smaller, let's put it that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is definitely a market for a sequel amongst Warcraft/WoW fans I wonder whether they would forego a cinema release altogether and go straight to a DVD release?
    There almost certainly won't be a theatrical release if/when a sequel appears. I imagine straight to DVD to be unlikely too. It'll probably be one of those 'Playstation Exclusives' shitty streaming only fuckboy titles. Disregarding China, the movie has been a monumental failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    wut
    What are trying to say?
    As I said, most things in the movie don't make any sense unless you have some WoW knowledge.
    The movie tells what is relevant to THIS movie,Lakeshire is burned to the ground,you the player will know what Lakeshire is but will change nothing if you didn't know.You know what a draenei is but one can assume is just another race from the orc world.

Even with said 40min cuts the movie tells what it needs to tell.

So the movie has made over 400 million dollars internationally http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm it certainly will make 500 mil when ondemand and DVD sales are included.

Though it wasnt a huge hit in the US i still say it deserves sequels cause clearly there is interest in the franchise but maybe next time they will learn from the mistakes and hopefully start with the arthas story

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?

Budget
    $160 million[2]

Box office
    $412.2 million[3]

From wiki.

Lol.

I'd say the movie needs to get a sequel to not call it a flop, they did try to built it up into a trilogy after all. You can't have a first movie called ''The Beginning'' with nothing that follows. Right now its hard to say if we'll get one, and if we get one it will probably not get a theatrical release. Just straight to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicious View Post
    Budget
    $160 million[2]

Box office
    $412.2 million[3]

From wiki.

Lol.
    Although this has been stated a hundred times in this thread already, also from the Wiki you just read but apparently failed to grasp:

"According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film needs to earn at least $450 million to break-even."

Floppity, Floppity. Flop, Flop Flop.

It's destined to be marked as a failure as it's titled "the beginning" but will have no sequel. ...and the world will be a better place without it.

Deleted
    All the people here that apparently hate Blizzard and Warcraft, yet contribute so much time to posting. lol, just lol

Wanda has only about 25% of screens in China, so if they give 75% of their box office back to USA, and the rest give 25%, the studio will see only 38% of Chinese box office.

Deleted
    Just saw the movie, it was great, gonna watch it again for sure!

People saying it did not make a profit are some sort of delusional, that's all i'm gonna say about it because there's no point arguing with people that take their satisfaction out of bashing anything Blizzard does, on a Blizzard-oriented forum (just watch the post history of some of them, it's like a 4 year old going on all day about how bad his candy tasted). It's kinda pathetic.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Checked my local theater schedule for Friday...Warcraft not on the schedule sadly. So it made it 4 weeks in theaters from launch in the US before getting pulled, at least at my local multiplex. I loved the movie and still hopeful for a sequel. But domestically even though those that saw it mostly liked it, there weren't very many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Checked my local theater schedule for Friday...Warcraft not on the schedule sadly. So it made it 4 weeks in theaters from launch in the US before getting pulled, at least at my local multiplex. I loved the movie and still hopeful for a sequel. But domestically even though those that saw it mostly liked it, there weren't very many of us.
    Can you blame them? The movie made less money last weekend than X-Men which had been released two weeks prior and Warcraft was shown on more screens. As much as fans would like to fill those seats, it's just not good for movie theaters to show movies to empty rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Checked my local theater schedule for Friday...Warcraft not on the schedule sadly.
    Here, most theaters reduced it to a single 3D showing per day. It had no chance with all those ID2, Dory, Tarzan, BFG, ... around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shéllshock View Post
    All the people here that apparently hate Blizzard and Warcraft, yet contribute so much time to posting. lol, just lol
    Some people are just unhappy in life and like wasting their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Wanda has only about 25% of screens in China, so if they give 75% of their box office back to USA, and the rest give 25%, the studio will see only 38% of Chinese box office.
    I'm very skeptical that either Wanda would give that much of the profit to Legendary, or that the Chinese government would allow them to even if they wanted to do so. The Chinese government does not like money leaving China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh?

Look at he top 3 "critic" websites right now.

Rotten
    Metacritic
    IMDB

all of them have bad critic reviews but good user reviews

gee, I wonder who's right?

The movie wasn't AMAZING but it was definitely enjoyable, I'd give it an easy 7/10. Some scenes felt rushed/squashed together but still, for a "pilot" movie I think it was very good and it opens the door for some awesome movies to come.