Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Players with lots gold will simply invest it in items that can be sold later for more. Then after reset will dump it on market and get their gold back. It will only cause massive inflation on expensive items because those items will be best way to handle gold reset.

Besides it being a terrible idea, I already do that often. If you want reset, you can do it too. Every time I take a break I give away all my gold. Then when I come back I start from nothing. So far given away: 8mil. Current gold on account: 0
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2016-06-29 at 07:17 AM.

This is one of those threads where I'm insanely glad MMO-champion users don't run this game.

Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 have ladder season resets where everything gets wiped and people are fine with it. In this case, you're not even wiping everything, just the money.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Well, this would end the game much more quickly than it already is.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    pointless.

there is always new currency, as valor/justice points, honor, apexis crystals etc

Deleted
    Thank God Blizzard doesn't hire ppl like Kryos... Sure Blizz had some bad ideas, but shit community can come up with its absurd :O

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Riiight... There is little evidence to suggest that there are a great number of new players let alone this is a major problem for them. But I do not think that pissing off existing players especially when the game has problems with player retention is the smartest of ideas.
    Exactly the game is suffering enough with keeping what players it has and attracting new players.. This idea that the OP has is terrible as those players that have gone to the effort of accumulating the games main currency would only piss them off as they would see all that time spent being totally wasted and more than likely they leave the game..

I mean we have the issue now with gear and old alternate currencies from previous xpacs made redundant..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    Why do we need to do this now? It's not like inflation is that much of a problem. Peoples lack of gold is only due to a lack of trying to get more. This expansion has been a huge gold farm for anyone trying. I don't bother with it cause I'll be damned to do garrison more than twice a day, but lots of people have 10+ chars all doing garrisons to make gold. If you want more gold, go get it. Punishing everyone else who does things to make gold isn't the solution.
    I can agree with this, since I've gone casual and spending less on -/+ (Min/Max'n) my gear I've farmed about 200k on just garrisons alone plus gold I made from working the AH (Which I will admit is harder then it was in TBC, Wrath and Cata) and wow tokens.

I would say the problem is people blowing their money on the Gold sinks in the game: Mounts, Cosmetic and BMAH. If people weren't so quick to blow their gold on random stuff they would have plenty to go into a new Expansion with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 have ladder season resets where everything gets wiped and people are fine with it. In this case, you're not even wiping everything, just the money.
    That's a choice. You make a specific character for that, knowing it will be wiped at the end of the season. Normal characters don't get wiped. So if you want to compare it to WoW, you'd need to make a special character that gets his gold wiped every expansion. I'd be fine with that, as it won't affect me at all.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Well, this would end the game much more quickly than it already is.
    Precisely, when you look at the amount of rage over the change in the camera zoom settings made by Blizz, can you imagine the backlash if Blizz started messing around with peoples gold..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Sind gold is the currency since vanilla the only way to equalize was to give more and more gold with each expansion so new players can catch up to at least afford basic stuff. But the auction house increased the prices for even basic items until it's pretty much stupid now.

The solution - have a new currency for each expansion to pay for all stuff. So if you want to buy Legion gear you need to pay with Legion gold and you get legion gold in legion. When you go to BC or WotlK you get BC or WotlK gold. Just think about it for a while before flaming and dismissing the idea.

it should be obvious that at that point everyone will just invest all their gold into item's that will have value in the next addon. You would have to devalue everything not soulbound to prevent rich players from staying rich.

Every MMORPG and MUD has posts like these where players come up with "new ideas" to trigger a gold wipe in some form or another. It's also almost always the same argument "think about the child^H^H^H^Hnew players!". Happily, I've never seen the game admins actually reset the gold or listen to these types.

Besides, WoW already has alternate currencies which do get reset each expansion like valor, honor and apexis crystals for WoD and the people who have high quantities of these currencies end up having huge amounts of gold as well so if a new player is capable enough, they'll catch up with the old players anyway.

Nowadays pretty much the only in-game advantage that gold gives you is to give some breathing room at the start of the expansion to buy epic drops for world first raiders in the early weeks. Past that point, most "high gold" people will end up leveling their money generating alts to the cap and their cash machine starts rolling again. Once again, "high gold" people will have a stable of alts that they only need to grind out 10 levels each, while the new guy has to grind out 110 levels. At that point, I'm sure someone else will come along with the "character wipe" request veiled behind some other great new idea.

tldr; The developers of the game won't bother with a gold reset so nothing to see here, move along.

You can't do this for a multitude of reasons.

In an MMORPG removing a universal currency would flatten the lasting sense of progression and achievement from expansion to expansion. It would hurt immersion from a lore perspective (if you care) and would be absolutely punishing on non-legacy players. Also, the game has had a single currency for 10 years - you can't take away something people have dedicated so much time to build up.

You could use unique secondary currencies more often however. IE. instead of the spider mount costing 2m, it could cost a bunch of legion specific marks of currency or something. But that's away from the OP's suggestion.

Every expansion is like a reset button for equipment so new players can catch up. Achievements get easy or if not doable anymore turn into feats of strength. So Blizzard does everything to level the playfield so all players - new and old - have pretty much the same basis. EXCEPT for gold.

Sind gold is the currency since vanilla the only way to equalize was to give more and more gold with each expansion so new players can catch up to at least afford basic stuff. But the auction house increased the prices for even basic items until it's pretty much stupid now.

The solution - have a new currency for each expansion to pay for all stuff. So if you want to buy Legion gear you need to pay with Legion gold and you get legion gold in legion. When you go to BC or WotlK you get BC or WotlK gold. Just think about it for a while before flaming and dismissing the idea.
    The new gold cap will help the inflation a lot, since it allows for larger gold sinks to be implemented.

This would solve exactly nothing. People that are good at making gold won't suddenly become bad at it. Someone that has 100 times the gold you do right now would very likely have 100 times your new "Legion Gold" as well.
    Signature not found

Deleted
    Good idea if you ask me.
    Why not just remove gold entirely? You can buy mounts, pets and such by using a currency you earn by completing dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, etc. This would then be obsolete with each new expansion, as a new currency would be implemented. Kinda like the Marks of Valour or whatever they were called.

Why do we even need gold as a currency? It doesn't make sense, it only makes things harder to balance. You can never please both the super rich and the poor masses, by pleasing one you hurt the other.

While we're at it, let's remove the AH as well. Let's do the same thing as Diablo 3 did, remove the economy aspect and let's get back to actually playing the game. We already have personal loot, why do we need trading anyway?
    Last edited by mmoceb1605b3cd; 2016-06-29 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Good idea if you ask me.
    Why not just remove gold entirely? You can buy mounts, pets and such by using a currency you earn by completing dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, etc. This would then be obsolete with each new expansion, as a new currency would be implemented. Kinda like the Marks of Valour or whatever they were called.

Why do we even need gold as a currency? It doesn't make sense, it only makes things harder to balance. You can never please both the super rich and the poor masses, by pleasing one you hurt the other.

While we're at it, let's remove the AH as well. Let's do the same thing as Diablo 3 did, remove the economy aspect and let's get back to actually playing the game. We already have personal loot, why do we need trading anyway?
    Not sure if being sarcastic or went full retard.

Glad bilzzard doesn't hire someone like you to design the game.

EXACTLY and new players enter the game with 0 gold and old players sit on 2-3 million or even more "old" gold. You see the problem?
    It really is a problem, but not a simple one. You don't want to punish players who worked hard.

It seems to me the key is to partially negate the value of gold. New players don't need to get everything available right away, but they shouldn't be utterly hamstrung by not having tons of gold, either. So it is on Blizzard to make sure new players can get all the things they need without much gold and some things they want without much gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    This would solve exactly nothing. People that are good at making gold won't suddenly become bad at it. Someone that has 100 times the gold you do right now would very likely have 100 times your new "Legion Gold" as well.
    That's not true. Say you can maybe increase your gold by 10x in one expac compared to others. With a reset you are 10 :1 each addon, without a reset after two addons you're 100:1 after three you are 1000:1. Money makes money and the gap widens the longer you go on.

OP's idea really only falls flat because money isn't the only ressource, whatever loses value (in this example gold) will simply be invested in goods that can be sold after the rollover to retain your wealth or maybe even increase it further.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2016-06-29 at 08:21 PM.

WoW already has WAY too many currencies, modes, item variants and tiers, etc. etc. To someone who never played the game before, it must be completely crazy. The game desperately needs a lot LESS of all that shit, not more.

Fixing inflation is actually easy - just make gold matter. There's an inflation because things in WoW have no real value.