Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    Bastion is awesome on King's Row on attack. Well, atleast until you get to the red area.
    If you have a team that creates space for you. And if enemy doesn't have Mei or Junkrat, or Zarya+Reinhardt+Torbjorn (projected shield + armour + charge into bastion who desperately tries to shoot a wall of death flying towards his position = priceless)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about being "versatile", I'm not playing cause I have some desire to be a versatile player, I'm playing to play characters I have fun playing. And healers aren't fucking fun to play, so I'm not going to play them, and if that means I'm not versatile, guess what, I don't give a fuck, cause I didn't buy the game out of some desire to be versatile.
    You sound lovely.. You realise this is a team game, highly based around balance and the age old rock, paper, scissors mantra.. If you are inflexible you are putting yourself and your team at a disadvantage.

There should be a game mode for selfish kiddies like the one above. 6 reapers v's 6 hanzos whining why isn't anyone healing.

I had two games in a row today with this fuckery. First I get a Hanzo picked into Widow on attack Anubis. Then the next game I get a moron that picked Mercy halfway through the game, even though there was already a Mercy on our team! Had a lot to say about their choice too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Every time people start talking about "people not wanting to change their picks" or whatever i remember "noob buy me m16" people from cs1.6. Like, seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Fun thing is that extremely "competitive players" (i believe that you wanted to say "pro players", but didn't wanted it to sound that obvious), don't hate losing. Losing is a part of a game. You learn from your losses and get better. Even in worst case scenario you still practice you aim, positioning, map awareness regaradless of how dumb your teammates are.
    It's not because they know that losing is part of the game that they love it. What is aggravating is getting in games where your team is not putting in any effort to actually win or learn from a loss. You learn next to nothing from playing Payload attack with Widow, Widow, Tracer, Tracer, Genji on your team.
    It's a completely different thing when you lost with a balanced setup and trying to coordinate as a team. That's the kind of loss you can look back on and analyze where you/your team made mistakes and how to counter them next time.

In Quick Play I play Reinhardt or Lucio/Mercy 80% of the time sadly. I only like Lucio of those heroes. I like winning more.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-06-29 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    It's not because they know that losing is part of the game that they love it. What is aggravating is getting in games where your team is not putting in any effort to actually win or learn from a loss. You learn next to nothing from playing Payload attack with Widow, Widow, Tracer, Tracer, Genji on your team.
    It's a completely different thing when you lost with a balanced setup and trying to coordinate as a team. That's the kind of loss you can look back on and analyze where you/your team made mistakes and how to counter them next time.

In Quick Play I play Reinhardt or Lucio/Mercy 80% of the time sadly. I only like Lucio of those heroes. I like winning more.
    You can't say that your team doesn't put any effort to win. Unless they AFK - they do something to win. You opinion on what you have to do to win (
    you(Mercy)mg pick Reaper to counter Winston who keeps shitting on me
    but nothing happens. You think that its others who made mistake by not countering Winston, but you haven't took into account that enemy team has Pharah, and Tracer and McCree, who you insist (or expect to) to switch actually the only thing that holds them down. Maybe it's you in the wrong here and should switch to Lucio?
    ) may differ from what each individual on your team thinks. There communication comes into play.

I've yet to see these fabled "Widow Widow Tracer Tracer Genji" teams. Literally haven't got a single game with a composition like that. Double Hanzo on attack? Yeah, but that's far from what you describe, so it's either your exaggerating or playing in some sort of low priority queue.

I repeat myself - there is no way that your mechanics are not improving from playing even the worst case scenario lost games. Even if you lose a game you still get to practice your aim, lead, hero synergy, weird ways to use your abilities. If you think that you have reached your skill ceiling - well, it's up to you to decide if you want to learn further or you want to stop, but in general you are wrong, there is plenty of things to practice.

But if i have to twist your words - i would say that you learn next to nothing from a teamplay perspective if you don't communicate with your team. And fun thing, even if you do learn something - this experience is limited to "QM plays", because when you play as a team vs other team this experience is basically nothing. If you want to coordinate as a team in a QM in solo queue, you are not going to have it. Play a game, look at promising player on your team, invite him in, find next game, look for promising players, add them to your friendlist maybe, ask them to join your discord server, etc. It's the same fucking answer for literally any team based random MM game - if you want to play as a team - build a team, don't rely on randoms, don't expect randoms to listen to you or to be any good, don't take good players for granted, and don't judge others performance by a single game you played with/against them
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    You sound lovely.. You realise this is a team game, highly based around balance and the age old rock, paper, scissors mantra.. If you are inflexible you are putting yourself and your team at a disadvantage.

There should be a game mode for selfish kiddies like the one above. 6 reapers v's 6 hanzos whining why isn't anyone healing.
    Main reason why the game shouldn't have shipped without a ranked system in place. Atleast it's close now and soon we won't have to deal with "i play on my terms!" "Don't tell me what i think is fun!" so that's that.

Players that don't adapt and learn will be the ones that are stuck in the bottom of the barrel and you won't see them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Main reason why the game shouldn't have shipped without a ranked system in place. Atleast it's close now and soon we won't have to deal with "i play on my terms!" "Don't tell me what i think is fun!" so that's that.

Players that don't adapt and learn will be the ones that are stuck in the bottom of the barrel and you won't see them.
    We can only hope and pray that will be the case , can't wait to get rid of these mouth breathers and on social/not communicating ass hats.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    As the first few posts already show, there are different kinds of players. And tbh its blizzards job to make game modes that allow each type to queue up with others with the same mindset. ATM everyone from LFR to mythic is put in the same quick play queue, of course people run into conflicts. Personally i wish some players would be less selfish and ignorant, but everyone has a different definition of that. Realistically you cant make rules that people need to follow, where would you even start or end? First pick or highest skill on a sniper gets to keep it when multiple players picked one? No Genji or Tracer on defense, no Symmetra or Torbjörn on offense? No zenyatta or Mei because theyre low tier? If you die to a hero you need to switch to a counter, unless your ulti is over 50% charged? Optimizing your play can be done to many different degrees, and instead of forcing everyone together, its best to have people queue and play with only those they share most of their mindset with, as well as relatively equal skill. Most times i see people complain about others not switching is when they have an excuse not to do it themselves. Wether its their gold medal, their hero being the best on that map, their role being needed or their ultimate almost charged, or they gave up caring because their team sucks, so they suck as well now. Theres no good solution except for not having these people play in the same team. As much as i hate playing with people that fit my definition of selfish and ignorant, forcing my made up rules on them isnt the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Archonite View Post
    As the first few posts already show, there are different kinds of players. And tbh its blizzards job to make game modes that allow each type to queue up with others with the same mindset.
    That doesn't work.
    Selfish fucks do actually want to win, and do expect other people to play the healer or tank so they can always play their precious Genji.
    What selfish fucks don't want is 5 other selfish fucks on the same team with them.

And to anyone that thinks selfish 'I main Genji' type players won't appear in ranked are deluded. Most people who "main" 1 character usually think they're gods at it, and will most certainly jump to ranked to show the world how good they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    They test my patience to the limit. I often have to stop playing because I get some games in a row, where there's one or more players that stubbornly refuse to do anything with the team. They don't change their picks. They don't play with the team. They don't listen to communication. They don't communicate themselves, until the end of the game where they'll just insult you.
    It's not selfishness, often it just seems to be very bad decision making or lack of experience. I've seen players switch multiple times in a match and make a horrible decision of it every time; a tank switching to WM because they figured out the 'slow walk in' wasn't working. Offence Heroes switching to Junkrat to stand-off and lob grenades in to a king of the hill objective, while showing no movement or intent to actually occupy the objective. Half the defence team switching to Torbjorn or Bastion and sitting 30 yards off the final checkpoint from the objective and just watching as the Payload arrives. Just because you switched, doesn't mean you made the right decision, or make you the selfless martyr the rest of the team need to apologise to for being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    That doesn't work.
    Selfish fucks do actually want to win, and do expect other people to play the healer or tank so they can always play their precious Genji.
    What selfish fucks don't want is 5 other selfish fucks on the same team with them.

And to anyone that thinks selfish 'I main Genji' type players won't appear in ranked are deluded. Most people who "main" 1 character usually think they're gods at it, and will most certainly jump to ranked to show the world how good they are.
    This weekend I effectively "mained" Reinhardt, because the game was throwing me in to a lot of Payload games and no one else was either picking him or showing an iota of competence with him. Great, I won the majority of those games. Am I now sick of playing Reinhardt? Yes. So I went to play Mercy last night who I've barely played since the opening week, in spite of how much I enjoyed it on Beta; I got two matches in with her, (mostly I was back to D.Va) one of which seemed to have a sensible set up, but everyone decided they were going to be the hero flanker - even though the enemy team was staying decently grouped and just mowing them down. Fuck, one time a Symmetra (who got play of the game for it) ran through 4 of our team in a line, and I was literally the only one who shot at her while she melted everyone. The other match actually went really well. But, you shouldn't be just assuming though that a player wants to jump to a given character specifically because it's the only one they'll play.

There's always this assumption of malice, and honestly, that's the single biggest source of toxicity in any game.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-06-29 at 12:24 PM.

I had a game where we had two snipers (1 of each) and neither would switch, I asked them to even. So after that match I don't play what the team 'needs' i play what i'm good at and enjoy, it makes the game more fun. Even if I lose now, at least I enjoyed my time playing a character I like.
    I'm a thread killer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You can't say that your team doesn't put any effort to win. Unless they AFK - they do something to win. You opinion on what you have to do to win (
    you(Mercy)mg pick Reaper to counter Winston who keeps shitting on me
    but nothing happens. You think that its others who made mistake by not countering Winston, but you haven't took into account that enemy team has Pharah, and Tracer and McCree, who you insist (or expect to) to switch actually the only thing that holds them down. Maybe it's you in the wrong here and should switch to Lucio?
    ) may differ from what each individual on your team thinks. There communication comes into play.

I've yet to see these fabled "Widow Widow Tracer Tracer Genji" teams. Literally haven't got a single game with a composition like that. Double Hanzo on attack? Yeah, but that's far from what you describe, so it's either your exaggerating or playing in some sort of low priority queue.

I repeat myself - there is no way that your mechanics are not improving from playing even the worst case scenario lost games. Even if you lose a game you still get to practice your aim, lead, hero synergy, weird ways to use your abilities. If you think that you have reached your skill ceiling - well, it's up to you to decide if you want to learn further or you want to stop, but in general you are wrong, there is plenty of things to practice.

But if i have to twist your words - i would say that you learn next to nothing from a teamplay perspective if you don't communicate with your team. And fun thing, even if you do learn something - this experience is limited to "QM plays", because when you play as a team vs other team this experience is basically nothing. If you want to coordinate as a team in a QM in solo queue, you are not going to have it. Play a game, look at promising player on your team, invite him in, find next game, look for promising players, add them to your friendlist maybe, ask them to join your discord server, etc. It's the same fucking answer for literally any team based random MM game - if you want to play as a team - build a team, don't rely on randoms, don't expect randoms to listen to you or to be any good, don't take good players for granted, and don't judge others performance by a single game you played with/against them
    Honestly, this is what I classify as loser speak. So in a game where no one plays the objective and everyone is dicking around doing jack shit, you are improving as a player? Or a game where you get steamrolled in your base (even at high level it happens, plenty of anecdotal feedback about it)? I disagree: you're not learning about the mechanics needed to win games. Overwatch is won by playing as a team and countering setups as a team, not as a bunch of individuals practicing their aiming skills in situations that do not correspond to actual 'real'/competitive play.

Playing with losers does not make you a better player. There's an opportunity cost you are not taking into account, and that is that you could be losing better games that actually motivate you to play better instead of losing crappy games.
    A good basketball player is not going to improve if he's playing in China with scrubs half his size. He's not learning about what it takes to compete in the NBA, he's not developing the exact skills necessary to compete at the highest level. Is he practicing his shot? Absolutely. Is he practicing his dribble? Damn sure. But he's not practicing it against the defense he will encounter at the level he wants to play at/should be playing at. Practice is only useful if it actually prepares you for situations and conditions you will encounter in competitive play.
    He might be jacking up shots and shooting at 70% efficiency against a 5'8 Center, every drive to the basket is a dunk. In the NBA however he's up against 7 footers and suddenly he discovers that he can no longer get into the paint because he never developed the skills to do so against a skilled and tall defender. He also discovers he's struggling massively shooting over bigger guys, even though he thought he was an excellent shooter by practicing against guys who couldn't contest his shot. He also never learned about the hundreds of sets of team plays that are crucial to winning a game, he also never learned about the defensive counters another team might use.

It's all about playing (winning or losing isn't even relevant) on the best level that prepares you for the level you are aiming to play at, otherwise you are wasting time by learning muscle memory, creating habits that do not translate to your goal. In the end, you haven't improved, you've regressed.

I also disagree that everyone is always doing something to win, that's little league motivational "everyone's a winner" talk. Killing people, or trying to kill people, is the least significant part of Overwatch. You can wipe out the entire team multiple times, if you're not on the objective or pushing the payload, you're not winning. You might have your 45 eliminations, in a vacuum that in itself is not enough to contribute to the winning effort per se.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-06-29 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    But, you shouldn't be just assuming though that a player wants to jump to a given character specifically because it's the only one they'll play.

There's always this assumption of malice, and honestly, that's the single biggest source of toxicity in any game.
    No need to assume a thing when you can view their profile and it reads along the lines of 7 hours played, 6 hours as Genji.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need to assume a thing when you can view their profile and it reads along the lines of 7 hours played, 6 hours as Genji.
    If they've only got 7 hours played, I wouldn't be expecting great things anyway.

Welcome to teamplay with random people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    If they've only got 7 hours played, I wouldn't be expecting great things anyway.
    The numbers used were merely figures plucked from thin air to show there are numbers of players whose play time on 1 hero is the vast majority of their total play time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The numbers used were merely figures plucked from thin air to show there are numbers of players whose play time on 1 hero is the vast majority of their total play time.
    You could look at my stats and see I've spent half my time on WM. That doesn't mean I spent half my time on WM in the past fortnight; I really fucking wish I could.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Is the OP new to video games?

I had a game where one player kept saying we don't need 2 snipers and for one person to switch. We did more more offense for more damage. I was playing Hanzo since the start of the match and a new player came in and picked Widowmaker. He said since he just joined he should stay as WM. 1) That's the exact opposite of what you do. You join and can see we have a Hanzo. You don't pick WM. 2) I was killing it as Hanzo. I usually do okay but I was doing very well. 3) He was awful as WM. But he refused to switch. If I switched, he was doing a poor job of taking care of turrets so my extra damage would be spent killing turrets instead of players and I was already doing both as Hanzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post

Yep. And I would rather put my team at a disadvantage that play a healer that is NOT FUCKING REMOTELY FUN TO PLAY. Are you new to video games or something? I thought most people knew that the actual point of video games is for the players to have fun, but that fact seems to have eluded you. My time isn't unlimited, I play other games, I work, I read, I go out with friends...why should I spend my money to buy a game, then spend the limited time I have to play that game not having fun so YOU can be happy? You want a healer so badly? Well, feel free to pick one and show everyone how versatile you are. Me, I'm not gonna pick one. The other roles, yeah, I can swap between them(doesn't necessarily mean I will, but there are at least characters I enjoy in all 3 roles so it's possible), but I'm not playing a healer, at least, not any of the ones currently in game. I likewise won't play a healer in WoW, and I won't play one in HotS either(unless my daily is play 3x support, and even in that case I will STILL not play Uther or Morales).

Also, there actually IS a game mode exactly for people like that(although, I wasn't the one whining about people not making the right picks, that was YOU, bro)...it's the one you're bitching about, in fact.