Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In DX12 games, RX 480 ref. card > GTX 980.

By the way, now we know the wattage requirement of the card, it's drawing ~230 watts? Earlier in this thread, I asked if 620W would be enough for a CF two of this beast together with an i7 6700k. What do you think as of now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    2304 Stream Processors makes it seem like it is cut down.
    36 CU's. I believe that's the official spec for the P10 chip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post

By the way, now we know the wattage requirement of the card, it's drawing ~230 watts?
    German review shows the card actually performing better with lower voltage while drastically lowering power usage. I would suggest we wait for custom boards and see how the card performs with proper cooling.

The card is meant to be mediocre, it's a budget card. A 1070 is nearly twice the cost and the cheapest 390x are still about 50% more than the 480 for only about 15% more performance, and no longer being produced so once the supply is gone that's it. The 480 really is a great card in it's price bracket. If you have the budget for it, yeah, a 1070 is a better option, but in it's price range, there is nothing better until the 1060 comes out, and then AMD will likely relase the full Polaris 10 GPU as the 480X.

- - - Updated - - -

Its AMD's new technology signature, and it barely is comparable to Nvidia's old tech namely the 970. Its performance is on par with the 970, this is what people waited for? I understand this is a budget card, and for some horrid business decision AMD wants to corner the "average" gamer market, but it stupid decisions like this, and this card's performance is why AMD lost the plot.

I would not buy this card or support AMD for such an mediocre product. This card will get owned by the 1060 and if that card has a price point near or at the RX 480, AMD will look like clowns.

Iam not a AMD hater, I supported the company many o' times over the years and my last was a 270x which performed fantastic, but this takes the cake in terms of redundant business decisions. This new card, new technology sucks and Nvidia will close them down.

Its just a matter of time.
    Last edited by Jimmy Thick; 2016-06-29 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I've heard different reports. Sure it can, but after 15 minutes of running it will throttle down to 1600 Mhz. You can maintain 2Ghz if you ran the fan at Max speed or like 80%. Even then, there's some reports of it bricking their cards, though that has yet to be confirmed. Not sure about partner cards though, but I know that's how the FE's work.

And you still have to contend with Silicon Lottery.
    My card drops to 2025Mhz at the worst, fan speed around 75%. That's after hitting it with Ashes, Furmark and Heaven benchmark. Never seen it ever drop to 1600 Mhz.

By the way, now we know the wattage requirement of the card, it's drawing ~230 watts? Earlier in this thread, I asked if 620W would be enough for a CF two of this beast together with an i7 6700k. What do you think as of now?
    That's full system usage, not the card. 620W is more than enough.

I think for the price of two RX 480's you could get one 1070 and the 1070 will outperform it and draw less power.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Its AMD's new technology signature, and it barely is comparable to Nvidia's old tech namely the 970. Its performance is on par with the 970, this is what people waited for. I understand this is a budget card, and for some horrid business decision AMD wants to corner the "average" gamer market, but it stupid decisions like this, and this card's performance is why AMD lost the plot.

I would not buy this card or support AMD for such an mediocre product. This card will get owned by the 1060 and if that card has a price point near or at the RX 480, AMD will look like clowns.

Iam not a AMD hater, I supported the company many o' times over the years and my last was a 270x which performed fantastic, but this takes the cake in terms of redundant business decisions. This new card, new technology sucks and Nvidia will close them down.

I just wonder how did you conclude their tech is "sucks"?

Really, care to back that up with benchmarks?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/19.html

Cause they specifically state running in DX12 and the 480 is getting 62.1 FPS @1080p while the 980 gets 71.2 FPS @1080p.

I think for the price of two RX 480's you could get one 1070 and the 1070 will outperform it and draw less power.

HTH.
    I will first purchase a single RX 480, probably custom Sapphire card. If CF turns out boosting the performance significantly, I will then purchase the second card.

I just wonder how did you conclude their tech is "sucks"?
    New tech that is comparable to Nvidia's 970, which is Nvidia's old tech? The RX 480 is a power sucking vampire, like all AMD articles?

Compare that to Nvidia's new tech.

Thank you.

Deleted

Lightbulb

I don't see much "wrong" with it. I personally think people misunderstood where it is placed. It doesn't target GTX 970 /R9 290X /R9 390X / R9 390 ( maybe power- draw wise ) Owners but allowing people with sub 970 / R380 - X setups to upgrade. Now they can pick if Red or Green camp without hearing "But it draws 100W more"

It Performs like 970, which is according to Steam Survey the most popular Choice - http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey so now people that want to upgrade can upgrade to 8 GB Red GTX970 compared to "3.5 GB" one.

It finally doesn't melt the plastic on the PSU 6 & 8 PIN connectors, because of the draw - http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=a...=file&id=23242 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/22.html

Yes it maybe roasts as my old ladies did - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B89...ew?usp=sharing but it's "Stock Design" and hand on your heart, Nvidia's FE isn't exactly great. You or keep it nVidia Stock fan Curve and watch it downclock as it roasts or raise the fan speed and Sayonara Silence. Trust me, speaking from experience.

The only problematic thing I see is what Tomsharware says regarding the unbalanced draw.

AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.
    With peaks of up to 155W, we have to be thankful they're brief, and not putting the motherboard in any immediate danger. However, the audio subsystems on cheaper platforms will have a hard time dealing with them. This means that the "you can hear what you see" effect will be in full force during load changes; activities like scrolling may very well result in audible artifacts.
    We’re also left to wonder what we'd see from a CrossFire configuration. Two graphics cards would draw 160W via the motherboard’s 24-pin connector; that's a tall order. Switching from the bars back to a more detailed curve makes this even more evident.

Will I buy it ? No, see signature and randomly attached pictures, I'm not the target group.
    Does it broaden the choices upper mid range gamers get ? Yes

AIB partners, show your grit.

In Immortan Joe's voice : " MEDIOCRE " , but mediocre is not bad, there's nothing wrong with the middle road. It has its place.

Oh Cool they addede CFX in the meantime. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ssFire/19.html
    Last edited by mmoc2d1a1cc4ba; 2016-06-29 at 04:50 PM. Reason: CrossFire Benchmarks

Really, care to back that up with benchmarks?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/19.html

Cause they specifically state running in DX12 and the 480 is getting 62.1 FPS @1080p while the 980 gets 71.2 FPS @1080p.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,13.html

Check this. Other than Rise of the Tomb Raider, it's either better or similar. With better driver support, better crafted games and custom cards, it looks like this card will beat GTX 980. As for TR, all AMD cards perform rather bad on that game, so there is that.

- - - Updated - - -

New tech that is comparable to Nvidia's 970, which is Nvidia's old tech? The RX 480 is a power sucking vampire, like all AMD articles?

Thank you.
    If you want to compare new tech/old tech, compare GTX 960 with RX 480, because these two cards are their equivalent in terms of tier. In addition, if you want to compare new techs, you should compare GTX 1060 with RX 480.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-06-29 at 04:51 PM.

Its AMD's new technology signature, and it barely is comparable to Nvidia's old tech namely the 970. Its performance is on par with the 970, this is what people waited for? I understand this is a budget card, and for some horrid business decision AMD wants to corner the "average" gamer market, but it stupid decisions like this, and this card's performance is why AMD lost the plot.

It's also a tier below the 970, so it makes sense that in the following generation it matches the tier above it from the previous generation. Looking at the benchmarks, it is nearly double the performance of the 960, which was the 380s competitor last generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondik View Post

In Immortan Joe's voice : " MEDIOCRE " , but mediocre is not bad, there's nothing wrong with the middle road. It has its place.
    Sure it has its place but AMD's business decisions remind me of the kid you knew in school who was just there and you knew but didn't associate with or knew of anyone who did. AMD dropped the ball, they had everyone waiting for this card and it sucks, it should have been on par with the 980 ti and instead its just another budget card you will find discounted at Best Buy my Christmas time.

Sure it has its place but AMD's business decisions remind me of the kid you knew in school who was just there and you knew but didn't associate with or knew of anyone who did. AMD dropped the ball, they had everyone waiting for this card and it sucks, it should have been on par with the 980 ti and instead its just another budget card you will find discounted at Best Buy my Christmas time.
    But it shouldn't have been on par with a 980ti. It's literally 3 tiers below the 980ti and cards normally match the card 1 tier above them in the next gen. So since the 980ti went up against the 390x, I would only expect the 490 to be on par with the 980ti, not the 480 or the 480x. The fact that it gets pretty close to a 980, which is 2 tiers above it, is pretty impressive.

But it shouldn't have been on par with a 980ti. It's literally 3 tiers below the 980ti and cards normally match the card 1 tier above them in the next gen. So since the 980ti went up against the 390x, I would only expect the 490 to be on par with the 980ti, not the 480 or the 480x. The fact that it gets pretty close to a 980, which is 2 tiers above it, is pretty impressive.
    I don't disagree with any of what you wrote, I just feel if AMD really wanted to make a statement, really wanted to kick Nvidia in the nuts the RX 480 should have been on par with the 980 ti, that would have opened eyes and made people think AMD wants to own this, instead we got a mediocre, average card that will lag behind Nvidia and kiss their feet when asked.

Iam also having a hard time seeing how two RX 480's Crossfired will out perform a 1070 let alone a 1080. Plus you better have a 1000w Thermalake to power it.

*sigh*, Iam just disappointed.

*sigh*, Iam just disappointed.
    It's a matter of expectation, and this is why you are disappointed.
    IRX 480 should have been on par with the 980 ti
    You set your expectation too high. If this card turns out as an equivalent of GTX 980 with driver support, I will call it a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    But at $200, which would you buy? Cause right now for $200 it's between the GTX 960 vs the RX 480. The GTX 970 is still listed for $300 brand new.
    Ok then wait for the 1060. Which will be out when? August maybe?

Thank you.
    People tend to forget the GTX 970 has only 3.5GB of usable memory and you call that good? And by power sucking, you mean second best.

Deleted
    Let's be honest - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html

4% over 970 and 11% from 980 make it a 970 Competitor, the gap between 970 and 980 wasn't great from the get go hence Ti came, which is 30%.
    But the price was abbysmal for the 15% Performance gap and the deadly price gap, and then the TI Killed them all, yet people still bought them en masse. Yet people still bought it as bread as same as the 1070 & 1080's that are dissapearing from the E-SHOP's like Black Friday deals.

By the way I sold my 980 for 222 Euros, so I created an artificial market for RX480 !

It's a matter of expectation, and this is why you are disappointed.

You set your expectation too high. If this card turns out as an equivalent of GTX 980 with driver support, I will call it a success.
    AMD hasn't turned a profit in years, we as gamers need AMD to keep Intel and Nvidia honest. I keep my expectations high because I want them to succeed long term.