Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    I think it's very disturbing to wish that on someone just to have them "understand" their pain. When has eye for an eye worked?
    I believe during the crusades they thought that was appropriate lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ironically if it wasn't for MMOC I wouldn't even know what half the shit is been discussed here which is telling how the mainstream media doesn't cover it
    I wouldn't either, but that's not because of the fault of mainstream media, but because I choose to ignore mainstream media. There's a difference between it not being there, and not paying attention to it. Sure, it might not be as dramatic as some may make it sound, but it's definitely there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You may not have paid attention to it, but people absolutely did. Hell, I remember Ellen DeGeneres being forced off her TV show when it became public that she was gay, and that was the mid-90s.
    Ellen came out to help her career, her being gay is pretty much the only reason we know who she is at all. She used her coming out at the right time to save her failing show. She is horrific and not funny at all but we couldn't get rid of her because it would have been discrimination.

She can flap her gums as much as she wants about being oppressed and almost losing her career because of it but that's simply not true. She exploited her sexuality and the suffering of others for her own gain. It's the only explanation for such a mediocre "comedian" to have the career she had

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironically if it wasn't for MMOC I wouldn't even know what half the shit is been discussed here which is telling how the mainstream media doesn't cover it
    I kid you not, I didn't know what "SJW" was before I came to these forums. Internet culture is really detached from reality...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    If you consider New York to be "isolated", and not one of the most populated areas, then sure, by all means. Sounds a bit dishonest though to think that it's not influential in some way.

My point wasn't to argue whether or not that "it's wrong to force people to take up less room", it was just to provide an article towards the post of "What's Manspreading".
    Is it targetted as 'manspreading' though? I don't see this terminology addressed anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I believe during the crusades they thought that was appropriate lol
    And here I thought the crusades was just an excuse to kill your enemies and take their valuables, almost like burglary, but you make a war around it
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

What the ???? Woohoo, its HeterosexualPrideDay!!!!!!!!! Do we get gifts?

Deleted
    I wouldn't either, but that's not because of the fault of mainstream media, but because I choose to ignore mainstream media. There's a difference between it not being there, and not paying attention to it. Sure, it might not be as dramatic as some may make it sound, but it's definitely there.
    But it isn't

Whenever I watch BBC News or ITV News there's no mention of SJW issues ever

10+ Year Old Account
    I assumed it was obvious
    To me, it was of course.
    I understood what he meant.

Is it targetted as 'manspreading' though? I don't see this terminology addressed anywhere else
    Does that suddenly remove the fact that it was outlawed in New York and apparently Seattle according to the article?

But it isn't

Whenever I watch BBC News or ITV News there's no mention of SJW issues ever
    So basically, you're surprised that people are claiming there's an issue in the US, yet you're not seeing it on British news?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I remember listening to ReplyAll a while back where they were explaining internet arcana to normal people. The vast majority of people in the world have never heard of Gamergate, never heard of Anita Sarkeesian, don't know what a "cuck" is, are unaware of Black Twitter, have never heard of Men's Rights Activists, don't know about 4chan, etc.

People who are into those things seem to think that those things are the real world. They're not. They're an internet construct that's self feeding and self perpetuating and only affects an incredible minority of die hard victimization seekers.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Does that suddenly remove the fact that it was outlawed in New York and apparently Seattle according to the article?
    But isn't it just common public transport etiquette getting enforced as opposed to something SJW

10+ Year Old Account
    But do the lawmakers actually call it "manspreading" or is it just "willfully obstructing other passengers". This seems more like the writers twist on the law

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    Ellen came out to help her career, her being gay is pretty much the only reason we know who she is at all. She used her coming out at the right time to save her failing show. She is horrific and not funny at all but we couldn't get rid of her because it would have been discrimination.
    Ellen lost her show because of her sexuality. And she's actually kind of hilarious, if you ever watch her standup.

She can flap her gums as much as she wants about being oppressed and almost losing her career because of it but that's simply not true. She exploited her sexuality and the suffering of others for her own gain. It's the only explanation for such a mediocre "comedian" to have the career she had
    She's an excellent comedian, and the fact that her career was eventually able to bounce back is a testament to both her ability and the shifting views on homosexuality over the 90s and early 2000s.

Deleted
    Yeah, I remember listening to ReplyAll a while back where they were explaining internet arcana to normal people. The vast majority of people in the world have never heard of Gamergate, never heard of Anita Sarkeesian, don't know what a "cuck" is, are unaware of Black Twitter, have never heard of Men's Rights Activists, don't know about 4chan, etc.

People who are into those things seem to think that those things are the real world. They're not. They're an internet construct that's self feeding and self perpetuating and only affects an incredible minority of die hard victimization seekers.
    Even I don't know what half of those are lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    We havent? Straight white males for the last 20 years have been told how horrible they are, how they're nothing but problems on society, that everythings our fault. How we deserve less because of some old straight white dudes hundreds of years ago.

I know its not "horrible oppression", but to be fair, most people born in the last 50 years havent been either. Its okay to be proud that you're gay... but god forbid you be proud to be a straight white male. Oh no! We wouldn't want that! Thats horrible!

People should just fuck off. Bunch of hypocrites who just need something to get mad about in this thread as it doesnt align with the liberal bullshit spewed all over these forums.
    The truth.

But good luck with saying something like that here on the MMOC off topic forums without being bashed for having an opinion.

But isn't it just common public transport etiquette getting enforced as opposed to something SJW
    Does this change that the original complaint came from the internet?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that everything that comes from the internet is influencing real life, but I think it's kinda hard to ignore the fact that this was nonissue for years until suddenly complaints on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    But do the lawmakers actually call it "manspreading" or is it just "willfully obstructing other passengers". This seems more like the writers twist on the law
    Hell if I know, but it's basically semantics. The original term came from tumblr or whatnot, and has, ironically enough, spread around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I kid you not, I didn't know what "SJW" was before I came to these forums. Internet culture is really detached from reality...
    Yeah me too. I remember thinking, "what the fuck is an SJW?" And before that wondering what "white knighting" was. At least "white knighting" makes some degree of sense, though I've never been sure why people think sticking up for others is a bad trait.

10+ Year Old Account

Look at it from another perspective though. They ARE the real world to those people. Our world is what we see around us. When someone spends a lot of time reading articles about some marginalized stuff, that marginalized stuff is no longer marginalized in their lives, it is the norm now. And if they spend too much time, then the actual real world becomes marginalized.

What I'm saying is, Internet world is more than just some imaginary reality - this is a real world too, with its own rules. The problem starts when people start confusing this real world with the real world existing outside the PC monitors and TV screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ellen lost her show because of her sexuality. And she's actually kind of hilarious, if you ever watch her standup.

She's an excellent comedian, and the fact that her career was eventually able to bounce back is a testament to both her ability and the shifting views on homosexuality over the 90s and early 2000s.
    I sign that.
    She's brilliant as comedian.
    She isn't just funny when she does a standup routine, she's got that natural humor wit.