Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I say, just make it #SexualPrideDay, when all people collect and celebrate the diversity in sexuality. That will get rid of all these problems. It is not a secret that LGBT Pride events are attended by people of all sexualities, so let's make it official!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Unfortunately for your opinion, the truth is what I said.
    If it truly was about your right to exist, others could claim the same. The truth is it seems more like gay pride is more a defiance against those who would do harm to you for existing. I would give you that much for now, although if this trend of self hatred and scathing tones from the progressive stack continues, I might have to disagree. Whatever the case may be, it can take a backseat to the rampant narcissism that is prevalent in western society.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Not even close. For the sake of equality and "love wins", nobody should be outraged over this. Unless of course, you want to show that you are indeed the true bigots. It's pretty telling that people (particularly homosexuals, who have championed the cause of equality and love for all) would get upset over heterosexuals showing pride in their sexuality. I guess if your aren't considered a minority, you aren't allowed to be proud of who you are?
    What I'd like is that we reach a point where no one needs any kind of pride demonstration because we've beyond labeling sexuality and skin color. That hasn't happened yet, of course.

It's heterosexual pride day 364 days a year since they're considered the norm that everyone is judged against by pretty much every culture. No heterosexual needs to fear they're going to be fired for being heterosexual. No heterosexual needs to fear bringing home a woman (or a man, depending on your gender) to meet their parents because they're heterosexual (I'm not referring to obvious issues like income, looks, name, age that some families might judge). No heterosexual needs to worry that if they hold hands with their partner in public they might get verbally abused, harassed, or attacked. No heterosexual goes to a bar or club worried that because they're heterosexual, they could be a victim of a hate crime. No heterosexual has to decide to come out to their parents and worry that they might be kicked out of their home, left to fend for themselves on the street because of their sexuality. No heterosexual has to fear just existing.

LGBT pride is meant to show a few things: one, that we're proud of who we are despite being a small minority and not being the "norm". Two, to draw attention to atrocities and discrimination. Three, to fund charities and organizations that actively fight against discrimination and for civil rights. To have straight, white men act like they need the same platform is laughable and offensive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Then just turn around and do not look?
    I better call the police. Cuz wer in russia Naah, just kidding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    If it truly was about your right to exist, others could claim the same. The truth is it seems more like gay pride is more a defiance against those who would do harm to you for existing. I would give you that much for now, although if this trend of self hatred and scathing tones from the progressive stack continues, I might have to disagree. Whatever the case may be, it can take a backseat to the rampant narcissism that is prevalent in western society.
    There is definitely some defiance in here, of course. When you're told by a lot of people you deserve to die, it's only natural to be defiant.

Deleted
    That's a really simplistic view, I think. Most kids can't just up and move to another country whenever they want, and most people can't do it, either. I have a life and a family and a home here. I'm not going to just walk away from it. On top of that, the idea of leaving really sounds the same as telling black people "if you don't like colored-only fountains, move somewhere else". We're here to stay and fight for our rights, not run away.
    Well sure, you do as you please. But the possability is there. I can feel proud over the fact that my nation has become one of the fairest, if not the, for all races, genders and sexualities. Although somedays it feels as if extremism is pushing is backwards <.<

Also it's not a simplistic view, it's hard for me to interpret at what level your oppression is at. Therefor I simply suggested the only option I could in the event your case had reached a boiling point, to move where you don't get treated like shit. It's admirable that you want to fight for your rights, but personally I don't want to be the middle point for the ignorant older generations and the fairness for coming generations. I want to live my life as well as I can. I was simply concerned with how you felt.

P.S. Sweden is just a generally nice play to visit anyway. During summer we got nice beaches, good food, beautiful country and pretty wome... oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Well sure, you do as you please. But the possability is there. I can feel proud over the fact that my nation has become one of the fairest, if not the, for all races, genders and sexualities. Although somedays it feels as if extremism is pushing is backwards <.<
    I'm glad it's a great place to live for equal rights. The US isn't that far behind.

Also it's not a simplistic view, it's hard for me to interpret at what level your oppression is at. Therefor I simply suggested the only option I could in the event your case had reached a boiling point, to move where you don't get treated like shit. It's admirable that you want to fight for your rights, but personally I don't want to be the middle point for the ignorant older generations and the fairness for coming generations. I want to live my life as well as I can. I was simply concerned with how you felt.

P.S. Sweden is just a generally nice play to visit anyway. During summer we got nice beaches, good food, beautiful country and pretty wome... oh wait.
    Me, personally? I don't have any problems at the moment, not like when I was a teen. I've got a great career, a home, a partner of 6 years, and a lot of good friends. I'm lucky. A lot of people aren't, and that's why it's important to keep fighting for equal rights. Just because I have it good doesn't mean the rest do.

Obama declared Stonewall Inn a National Park. I don't know if that means they'll have park rangers inside.

Stonewall Inn was the source of the famous gay riots.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Obama declared Stonewall Inn a National Park. I don't know if that means they'll have park rangers inside.

Stonewall Inn was the source of the famous gay riots.
    National Monument.

Deleted
    I've got a great career, a home, a partner of 6 years
    Your partner is SIX YEARS? *GASP* !!
    :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Your partner is SIX YEARS? *GASP* !!
    :O
    We've been together for six years. He's 33 and I'm 33

10+ Year Old Account
    man those straight parades are gonna be so boring... at least gay people know how to have fun
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

There is definitely some defiance in here, of course. When you're told by a lot of people you deserve to die, it's only natural to be defiant.
    Settles it for me, Gay pride is the defiance in the face of malicious forces that seek to do them harm for existing. Nothing less, nothing more. Now if I wanted to continue shitposting, I coooouuuld ask when's Jew day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    Settles it for me, Gay pride is the defiance in the face of malicious forces that seek to do them harm for existing. Nothing less, nothing more. Now if I wanted to continue shitposting, I coooouuuld ask when's Jew day.
    That's a really small viewpoint to distill an entire civil rights movement into.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You would think Russian's would be able to suck it up, and "man up" and tolerate things that make them uncomfortable. Calling the cops (or getting so upset that you had to pass the law that was passed) seems kind of... I don't know... weak, and authoritarian... the country of some of the greatest writers (Pushkin) and composers (Tchaikovsky (who was also a homosexual))... afraid of two men kissing... kind of sad.
    I said i was kidding, right? I dont care about anybody having sex with anyone, except i hate when gay guys are kissing in public places. Thats it, otherwise no difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    man those straight parades are gonna be so boring... at least gay people know how to have fun
    Pushing baby carriages, discussing the commute to work.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    I said i was kidding, right? I dont care about anybody having sex with anyone, except i hate when gay guys are kissing in public places. Thats it, otherwise no difference for me.
    Can I ask you a question? Do you hate it when a straight couple does the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    We havent? Straight white males for the last 20 years have been told how horrible they are, how they're nothing but problems on society, that everythings our fault. How we deserve less because of some old straight white dudes hundreds of years ago.

I know its not "horrible oppression", but to be fair, most people born in the last 50 years havent been either. Its okay to be proud that you're gay... but god forbid you be proud to be a straight white male. Oh no! We wouldn't want that! Thats horrible!

People should just fuck off. Bunch of hypocrites who just need something to get mad about in this thread as it doesnt align with the liberal bullshit spewed all over these forums.
    I consume a tremendous amount of news media, and from my point of view(as a straight, white, male) the left generally asks me to not be an asshole and to acknowledge the institutional advantage I have. Sometimes people take that way too far and I'd love to see them get called out more, but they're far smaller then the generally moderate leftist media. Now, the other side constantly, and I can't overstate this enough, I mean, CONSTANTLY tells me I'm being besieged by everybody who is not me. Watch an hour of Fox News, read any two articles from Breibart, Infowars, RedState, National Review, listen to twenty minutes of Rush, Ramsey, Savage or Levin and you will come away thinking the white male is in immediate danger of extinction. The tone of the right media-machine is much more sensational, dire, and fearmongering and it constantly terrifies me that people are so quick to give into that fear.

The white male is not under siege, he's being asked to reconsider(sometimes in unreasonable ways) how he views the world, and specifically how he has dominated the narrative of western culture for a thousand plus years often times at the expense of everybody who is not him. I'm okay with that, it's better than the very possible "kill whitey" narrative will take over should he not reconsider.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People who are into those things seem to think that those things are the real world. They're not. They're an internet construct that's self feeding and self perpetuating and only affects an incredible minority of die hard victimization seekers.
    You, Adam, and May do this same routine in any/every thread to do with identity/social justice issues.

"I never heard of X until MMO-C"

"Yeah, it's never in Y publication"

"Yeah, people care about this stuff that nobody else offline is even talking about like any of it matters outside forums"

So allow me to just refute this "internet construct" garbage for the umpteenth time, by presenting a real life example:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...onal-mens-day/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...ts-debate.html

And here's BBC for Adam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34844723

Just because you're some ignorant or shut-in doesn't mean important people aren't discussing and taking real-world action on these issues.

Presenting "normal people" as your measure in this instance is stupid. The vast majority of normal people don't know about the vast majority of things that they don't see in meme form on Facebook. That doesn't mean those things are inconsequential, or that they have no effect on their lives.

As for the topic: As an equal-opportunities lover, I don't give a single fuck if hetero people want to be happy or proud of being straight. It does seem to me that someone only started this to wind up the gay and lesbian twitter crusaders and it seems to have worked perfectly, so there's that.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-06-29 at 09:08 PM.

That's a really small viewpoint to distill an entire civil rights movement into.
    I really wouldn't call it small considering how widespread the issue was. I would say it's very distinct because of that.