Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's sad when people equate "something similar happened to me for completely unrelated reasons" to discrimination and think it's all okay. No, it's okay, because I, too, was fired from a job for something stupid, and that's the same as being fired for being black or gay or Jewish. It's completely, utterly, 100% the same.

No one is talking about individual persecution but rather systemic from culture/society and government. Stop trying to match the two up. They're not the same thing.
    But people are society. How is it not societal for a Submissive male to get picked on? How about anyone in the BDSM community no matter how straight and white they are? What about the stereotype of boys hitting on girls and having the girl's father walk them around with a shotgun? How are these not societal problems that straight people face? We have no control really over the foreign nations and their laws unless we want to bend their economies to our will. I think no one, no matter how white and straight they are, no matter how gay they may be and no matter what gender they are should be persecuted. You've fallen into the trap of SJWs and are acting like this perpetual victim who can't see the world around them and has buried themselves under their own woe-is-me labels. I do not think it is fair that there are countries where it's illegal to be gay but that doesn't mean we should wave away the problems of others because some people are bad. Being unable to see the legitimate concerns of others is a fault of SJWs and why I can't stand them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Who is doing that?
    Those who say, "If you are for LGBT pride, then you should also be for heterosexual pride". It is false equivalence. I mean, I agree that you should be for both, but the reasoning is more complex than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Yay, being normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is false equivalence. I mean, I agree that you should be for both
    So you agree with the statement, but it's a false equivalence. OK. You understand that makes no sense, don't you?

The statement "if you're for one, you should be for the other" doesn't really go into the reasoning for why. Much less have you shown me an example of somebody claiming you should be for both for the same reason.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-06-29 at 10:10 PM.

No one is talking about individual persecution but rather systemic from culture/society and government. Stop trying to match the two up. They're not the same thing.
    Doesn't systemic mean system-wide, or relating to the entire system? There isn't oppression on that scale whereby it affects people on a daily basis. There's plenty of sub-cultures in america which not only accept homosexuals but praise them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Well let's be honest. They're mocking the LGBT pride movement. It's not sincere.

Eh, I wouldn’t say they are mocking. I think they are trying to bring to light the fact that some groups of people are allowed and encouraged to celebrate their differences and others are not, it’s deemed tasteless or racist. You can’t really prove their motives, there is no way to say with 100% certainty that they sincerely are mocking homosexuality. I absolutely understand where you are coming from, I thought the same also. But the more I thought about it just assuming that’s what they are doing is a pretty shitty thing to do. I personally think they could just as well be highlighting the fact that special dates/holidays/events etc for certain groups of people and not all is creating more division.

With everything going on in the world right now people need to come together, we are all humans. Celebrating what makes someone different for only a select group of people isn’t helping anything. The intention behind these exclusive days and celebrations comes from a good place, but it’s not helping to create equality by elevating just a select few. If everyone is to be treated the same than they should all be treated the same. Do I think the special for heterosexuals is a good idea? No, but why shouldn’t there be one when there are so many others?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Can you even read? I specifically explained how gays aren't proud of anything.

Also, fun fact, in my personal experience, there are more effeminate straight guys I've run into than gay ones. Many more. So... Yeah... Way to be stupidly stereotypical.
    How did you know they were straight?

I'm sorry to hear that. It's an unfortunate consequence of at-will employment in a lot of states (aside from protected classes), which leaves little recourse.
    Uniess you are protected. Then you can claim discrimination, regardless of the facts.

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this.

No one said you can't be proud of being white, male, and/or straight. No one.

All we said is that creating a platform for straight white male civil rights is offensive when you're not facing persecution and you're already the top dog.
    Wow this is incredibly offensive. So based on the colour of my skin and my gender I should not be entitled to a platform for my civil rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Like most of us straight people, likely flaunting their sexuality with pride.

Joking aside, why is someones sexuality their defining characteristic? Be who you want to be, and don't bother me about who I am.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    So you agree with the statement, but it's a false equivalence. OK. You understand that makes no sense, don't you?

The statement "if you're for one, you should be for the other" doesn't even mention the reasoning for why. Much less have you shown me an example of somebody claiming you should be for both for the same reason.
    No, it is my personal stance that a person should be for both. But not "if you are for one, then you should be for another".
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Wow this is incredibly offensive. So based on the colour of my skin and my gender I should not be entitled to a platform for my civil rights?
    It really is sad how little awareness Darth has had this entire thread.

Of course not because those few douchebags in charge totally look like you and are straight so you're part of the problem even if you've done nothing wrong! /SarcasmOff

This is what helps fuel Trump and what is helping to put the actual progress we've made at risk. We should be trying to bring each other up but all SJWs want to do is tear people down.

No, it is my personal stance that a person should be for both. But not "if you are for one, then you should be for another".
    .....Are you high?

Deleted
    Do we really expect white heterosexual males (this websites demographic) to understand why this is an issue? Come on now

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are our civil rights under fire that we need a protest/display platform for them?
    I'm genuinely curious about that now. I am straight, white, and male.
    I don't need no platform for that matter. I know my place in the society. I know I am privileged. It is not my fault that things are the way they are, but I certainly don't pretend they don't exist.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

It's true that in the western world there are few places where it's illegal to be homosexual, but since you asked:

Antigua & Barbuda
    Barbados
    Belize
    Dominica
    Grenada
    Guyana
    Jamaica
    St Kitts & Nevis
    St Lucia
    St Vincent & the Grenadines
    Trinidad & Tobago

As of May 2016 there are 77 countries where it is illegal to be gay.
    Woah hold the phone, most of those countries are almost completely inhabited by non whites. But how would they ban/kill gays if there are no evil white males in charge??????? At least the "religion of peace" would understand your plight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    .....Are you high?
    Think you are. I personally can like both apples and pears, but someone liking apples doesn't imply that they should also like pears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm talking more about personal friends/acquaintances. People I know well enough to know what orientation they are. Besides, young gays in my country tend to overwhelmingly use this one certain social media site and these people are nowhere to be found over there (the chances of a young gay person not using it are sort of like those of a young person not using Facebook).

Think you are. I personally can like both apples and pears, but someone liking apples doesn't imply that they should also like pears.
    Because liking fruits is the same as respecting people's abilities to air out their complaints.

Unless you think eating pears around people who like apples is, as Darth says, "Offensive".