Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Yep. Despite the terrible cooler design the card offers great performance/price ratio in one of the biggest market segments (less than 350$). I hope sales continue to be good and we see partner boards soon. AMD can use a rise in market share.
    Yep and thats at the least 700 units sold on the reference alone, that tells you something from 1 retailer right now, clearly there is a market here and people with decent GPUs right now need to look else where, AMD is has answered the call that people want more GPU power at a lower price from their current weak GPUs and I want this to sell even more so that PC game sales start to pick up with more people being able to afford PC hardware.

I mean the cheapest 4GB model is £188 on OCUK, thats bloody good, the 970 released near £300 and this is with our currency currently in the shit right now, what I like about this GPU is the build in HDR support and HEVC but yes the cooler isn't great but had a feeling that might of been the case, it looks great though.

I like how people are comparing gtx 1080 beats 2 rx 480 in crossfire like it's vastly superior, then you also need to remember you are paying over twice as much for a single gtx 1080 than you would for 2 rx 480, because of lack of availability and price gougers. you might be getting good frames, but at least i still have a roof over my head

also need to remember that the rx 480 is amd's 3rd best offering. they havent even released rx490 (vega 10) or rx fury (vega 11). the storm is coming, and it will be affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Thats brutal.
    Not really. Again, it's pretty much what was expected. Some games don't scale well with 2 graphics cards and it's been that case as far back as running dual GPUs has been a thing that in some games it's better to only use one card. In games that do support it well, like GTA:V, it actually does rival the 1080 as advertised.

The pricing of the 480 is probably still its most dominating factor, but its performance in some games is just straight-up strange, flopping behind the 970 in some, while bumping shoulders with the 980 in others. I'm assuming there's going to be a new driver coming to fix this, as the amount of variance is crazy.

I'm mildly disappointed that it isn't more on par with the 980 on a consistent level, but it's amazing for the price and should do the job that AMD designed it to do.

Deleted
    On OCUK;

Cheapest Nvidia 1080 is £569

Cheapest RX480 is £188 with the 4GB model.

3 X RX480 is £564

People are being silly trying to compare them like that, honestly speaking multi GPU set ups needs to die down a little bit over the year for the moment because first we need optimised games first and relies on more people owning decent GPUs to start with so game sales on PC go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Results were apples and oranges, even the reviewer said he would rather have a single 1070 than crossfired 480's.

Not to mention the 440 watt power draw.
    And he explained why he prefers a single card, rather than two. It's his personal preference. Care to elaborate how results are apples and oranges? Not many will care for wattage requirement. I for one won't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    On OCUK;

Cheapest Nvidia 1080 is £569

Cheapest RX480 is £188 with the 4GB model.

3 X RX480 is £564

People are being silly trying to compare them like that, honestly speaking multi GPU set ups needs to die down a little bit over the year for the moment because first we need optimised games first and relies on more people owning decent GPUs to start with so game sales on PC go up.
    A GPU is a parallel computation machine. It's is intuitive, from a technical standpoint, to compare multi-GPUs with another single-but-powerful GPU.

Deleted
    I understand what you mean, sadly the developers don't seem to see it like that since it takes up their development time on what is already not a very optimised single gpu experience compared to consoles however this will be dealt with once we see PC video game sales increase by a huge amount, console sales crush PC game sales to the point that devs can ignore the PC market to an extent.

again, nvidia has released gp102 chip and has yet to release gp100 to consumers. amd on the other hand released polaris 10/11, but has yet to release vega 10, and an even more powerful vega 11. and amd will probably beat price/perf to nvidia too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    These results are quite different:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...ssFire/19.html

It all depends on the game. I mean look at Rise of the Tomb Raider:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...ssFire/16.html

It gets worse performance than a single 480. A single 1070 beats it and a single 1080 is nearly double the performance, and this was tested in DX12.

If you look at The Witcher 3 though:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...ssFire/17.html

At least Crossfire is a significant improvement over a single 480, but the 1070 and 1080 still beat it.

Then here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...ssFire/12.html

Yeah, in GTA:V it is nearly the same as a 1080.

This is why Dual GPUs are almost never a good idea. Sure, in some games it works great, in others you are better off just turning on card off.

My conclusion from watching several benchmarks:

There are some fringe cases on certain games, like TR, but all AMD cards perform terrible on that game. It's probably on issue on TR's end rather than AMD. On average, crossfire 480s beat 1070, like quite hard. For 1080, CF 480s beat in some games, close at others (<~10%). Single 480 is slightly better than GTX 970 on average (>2%), on certain games (DX12), it's either better or equal to GTX 980, save for TR (but remember, it's a fringe case).

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    My conclusion from watching several benchmarks:

There are some fringe cases on certain games, like TR, but all AMD cards perform terrible on that game. It's probably on issue on TR's end rather than AMD. On average, crossfire 480s beat 1070, like quite hard. For 1080, CF 480s beat in some games, close at others (<~10%). Single 480 is slightly better than GTX 970 on average (>2%), on certain games (DX12), it's either better or equal to GTX 980, save for TR (but remember, it's a fringe case).
    The first link I posted is an average, and yeah, if you take the non-scaling games out of the equation, it's about equal to the 1080. On average though, including games that don't scale well, it's about the same as the 1070. Just looking at individual results though, when you consider that a single 1070 is only about $50 more than 2 4GB 480s and about the same as 2 8GB 480s, the 1070 is just a better buy, since you know it will work with all games the same. You won't ever be stuck using just 1 of your graphics cards, no matter what game you play. You won't need to wait for the games to add support, or wait for driver support, it will just work. A single 1070 is a better choice than dual 480s IMO.

I will get a single RX 480 actually. I will buy a second one only if CF turns out great like stable framerates, no power problems, managable heat, good driver support for CF and of course game support. You are right. Instead of dumping money to CF right away, I would buy a 1070.

Deleted
    Another thing people should be hopeful is, the PS NEO is meant to be using this chip, at least for the desktop it is showing good results.

I will get a single RX 480 actually. I will buy a second one only if CF turns out great like stable framerates, no power problems, managable heat, good driver support for CF and of course game support. You are right. Instead of dumping money to CF right away, I would buy a 1070.
    By the time that happens, you'll likely be better off buying a GTX 1160 or an RX 580x and still have better performance than dual 480s.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Another thing people should be hopeful is, the PS NEO is meant to be using this chip, at least for the desktop it is showing good results.
    PS games are capped at 30 FPS with poor AA solutions. This chip would do just fine with better card.

PS games are capped at 30 FPS with poor AA solutions. This chip would do just fine with better card.
    Ummm not all PS Games are Capped at 30fps and if rumors hold true PSNeo games will be doing 1080p/60fps.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Yep. Despite the terrible cooler design the card offers great performance/price ratio in one of the biggest market segments (less than 350$). I hope sales continue to be good and we see partner boards soon. AMD can use a rise in market share.
    Going to put some perspective here for people. If you're going to buy a GTX 970/980, you should instead buy a RX 480. Why? Cause $199. If you're going to buy a R9 390/390X, you should instead buy a RX 480. Why? Cause $199.

In fact, the only people who shouldn't be buying a RX 480 are those looking at speeds beyond a GTX 980 or R9 390X. At that point you buy a 1070/1080. And we know with drivers updates the RX 480 can only get faster. Nvidia cards generally don't get faster with updates, and the R9 390/390X are maxed out.

GTX 960? Nope get a RX 480.
    R9 380? Nope get a RX 480.
    GTX 970? Nope get a RX 480.
    GTX 980? Nope get a RX 480.
    R9 390/390x? Nope get a RX 480.

Anyone looking to buy a used GTX 970 or R9 390 should never spend more than $150 on one. Why? Cause $199 RX 480. Nearly all new PC builds should include a RX 480 until Nvidia shows their 1060.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually NVidia cards have gotten faster in the past with driver updates.

"Optimization for game(s) X" basically means "this card is going to perform better in this/these game(s) with this driver update.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Actually NVidia cards have gotten faster in the past with driver updates.

"Optimization for game(s) X" basically means "this card is going to perform better in this/these game(s) with this driver update.
    When the new 1060 is released, the old Maxwell cards will do much worse in new games. Particularly games that make use of GameWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ummm not all PS Games are Capped at 30fps and if rumors hold true PSNeo games will be doing 1080p/60fps.
    That's true. Tho, most graphically demanding games are capped at 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    When the new 1060 is released, the old Maxwell cards will do much worse in new games. Particularly games that make use of GameWorks.
    What? This is nonsense, Nvidia doesn't hurt the performance of older cards via driver updates.

They may not offer performance optimizations for older architectures in newer drivers but that is a whole other matter entirely.

But since everyone here keeps telling me that the Geforce 1080 is just another Maxwell card the entire Maxwell range should still get performance benefits from newer drivers.