Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    This could make the 4gig card a hell of a lot better option!

" Another oddity – and one that may make enthusiast a bit more cheery – is that AMD only built a single reference design card for this release to cover both the 4GB and 8GB varieties. That means that the cards that go on sale today listed at 4GB models will actually have 8GB of memory on them! With half of the DRAM partially disabled, it seems likely that someone soon will find a way to share a VBIOS to enable the additional VRAM. In fact, AMD provided me with a 4GB and an 8GB VBIOS for testing purpose. It’s a cost saving measure on AMD’s part – this way they only have to validate and build a single PCB. "

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    What? This is nonsense, Nvidia doesn't hurt the performance of older cards via driver updates.

They may not offer performance optimizations for older architectures in newer drivers but that is a whole other matter entirely.

But since everyone here keeps telling me that the Geforce 1080 is just another Maxwell card the entire Maxwell range should still get performance benefits from newer drivers.
    Nvidia knows their hardware better than you do. They'll find ways to make their new hardware better than the older ones. The RX 480 certainly gives Nvidia a problem right now, cause they have to dramatically increase the performance of the 1060. When companies don't have any competition, they end up competing against themselves. Just look at GameWork titles and how they perform on older pre Maxwell graphic cards.

Deleted
    What? This is nonsense, Nvidia doesn't hurt the performance of older cards via driver updates.

They may not offer performance optimizations for older architectures in newer drivers but that is a whole other matter entirely.

But since everyone here keeps telling me that the Geforce 1080 is just another Maxwell card the entire Maxwell range should still get performance benefits from newer drivers.
    Yeah except for that kepler performance decrease after maxwell release debacle... I wouldn't put that past them given their history of shady practices.

Also man, this thread is fun, all this misguided hatred for AMD. "Oh no the new gpu performs as higher tier card from previous generation such a fail", get it together people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Nvidia knows their hardware better than you do. They'll find ways to make their new hardware better than the older ones. The RX 480 certainly gives Nvidia a problem right now, cause they have to dramatically increase the performance of the 1060. When companies don't have any competition, they end up competing against themselves. Just look at GameWork titles and how they perform on older pre Maxwell graphic cards.
    Gameworks performing worse on Kepler is mainly due to Maxwell having substantially better tesselation performance. Nvidia gimping Kepler cards is a myth:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...x-rematch.html

Ummm ya they do and have been known to do that a few times.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Yeah except for that kepler performance decrease after maxwell release debacle... I wouldn't put that past them given their history of shady practices.
    Kepler performance has not been gimped by Nvidia: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...x-rematch.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ummm ya they do and have been known to do that a few times.
    No they have not:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCsT_dk-1E

There is a difference in not optimizing a older architecture with newer drivers vs deliberately gimping it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCsT_dk-1E

There is a difference in not optimizing a older architecture with newer drivers vs deliberately gimping it.
    If you release a driver update and it makes X run worse then you have released a update that has gimped that hardware.

To add they false advertised the GTX 970, works for me that they did since my video card went from costing me $340 to $200. Since one of the refunds I got was because of that

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...erformance_on/
    There is links in the reddit feel free to check them out.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-30 at 12:30 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    This could make the 4gig card a hell of a lot better option!

" Another oddity – and one that may make enthusiast a bit more cheery – is that AMD only built a single reference design card for this release to cover both the 4GB and 8GB varieties. That means that the cards that go on sale today listed at 4GB models will actually have 8GB of memory on them! With half of the DRAM partially disabled, it seems likely that someone soon will find a way to share a VBIOS to enable the additional VRAM. In fact, AMD provided me with a 4GB and an 8GB VBIOS for testing purpose. It’s a cost saving measure on AMD’s part – this way they only have to validate and build a single PCB. "
    Any confirmation that the 4GB RX 480 actually has 8GB? Cause AMD would be in a world of hate if they did such a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay has anyone seen ANY information from AMD or any of the third party companies about when the aftermarket RX 480's will be available?

Kind of getting antsy about several upgrades I want to do and would like some peace of mind on when I can expect to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Okay has anyone seen ANY information from AMD or any of the third party companies about when the aftermarket RX 480's will be available?

Kind of getting antsy about several upgrades I want to do and would like some peace of mind on when I can expect to do them.
    They just keep saying soon. No set dates or anything yet. It sounds like MSI will release info on theirs really soon, based on a post from someone who works there. A pic of the Nitro gpu leaked today on reddit, and there's this one... http://rog.asus.com/23792016/gaming-...graphics-card/

I think it'd be reasonable to expect them in the next couple weeks right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I think it'd be reasonable to expect them in the next couple weeks right?
    Hmm, yeah, I guess. I don't like this vagueness at all.

For those interested, there was an official AMD Reddit AMA and they had this to say on the subject of aftermarket cards:

10+ Year Old Account
    Gameworks performing worse on Kepler is mainly due to Maxwell having substantially better tesselation performance. Nvidia gimping Kepler cards is a myth:

I've seen that and their matchings do not pair up with any other known site, so I would really take that with a cruise load of salt.

Also, DX12 on Tomb Raider... is broken and essentially beta or alpha, depending on your point of view, even admitted by the devs as it's a work in progress.

And as usual, ignore reference cards, goes for every card really. Reference has it's purpose in tiny builds with limited airflow, but they still suck overall in a micro/mid/normal atx.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Any confirmation that the 4GB RX 480 actually has 8GB? Cause AMD would be in a world of hate if they did such a thing.
    It's basically a version of binning, which happens in a lot of products - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AQPIBfIqMk
    There's a multitude of reasons to deactivate the RAM in some products: stability, performance, shift in demand, etc.

Remember when the cores on a dual-core Phenom II could be unlocked to turn it into a quad-core?
    Last edited by mmocc260283a87; 2016-06-30 at 03:19 AM.

Price on this RX480 is meant to be $199 in the US? And it's like £240 here in the UK, that's quite a price difference. It puts it at the same price point as a GTX970, and it's roughly same performance according to Digital Foundry video.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Price on this RX480 is meant to be $199 in the US? And it's like £240 here in the UK, that's quite a price difference. It puts it at the same price point as a GTX970, and it's roughly same performance according to Digital Foundry video.
    The cheapest 8gb I've seen is $240. The 4gb version is $200 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Price on this RX480 is meant to be $199 in the US?.
    Yep.

/10OCRX480's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone purchased one yet?
    Seeing reviews that it is drawing an incredible amount of power through the mobo (Tomshardware marked 90w during a stress test)

edit: it stills draws way less than previous AMD cards, but it's supposed to be a budget card, and will likely be placed on a budget motherboard that may have issues with the excessive draw.

edit2: should probably link the damned results http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...10,4616-9.html
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2016-06-30 at 04:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very curious what the power consumption of the chip is when you remove the ACEs and HWSes. Aka the extra hardware not used in DX11 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm very curious what the power consumption of the chip is when you remove the ACEs and HWSes. Aka the extra hardware not used in DX11 games.
    hmmm, a good point actually. Wonder is that's what the 470/460 might do
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...erformance_on/
    There is links in the reddit feel free to check them out.
    I'd take legit testing over silly unsubstantiated rumors thanks. There was a issue with Kepler cards and Witcher 3 which Nvidia themselves patched. But of course some people took this as to mean that Nvidia was deliberately gimping the cards. Lo and behold Nvidia released new drivers that gave much better performance especially with Hairworks turned off.

Kepler cards also have less tessellation performance then Maxwell cards so if Hairworks was turned off you would see a large performance jump on pre-900 hardware, same with Radeon cards.

Here is another benchmark test that show a curve of all the previous generation models:

http://kotaku.com/six-generations-of...red-1782275053

Nothing weird about that, the Geforce 780 Ti is just behind the 980 in almost every test.

I agree that AMD has done a better job of supporting their cards but it's not out of the goodness of their hearts, they just haven't come up with a new graphics architecture in almost 5 years. Radeon 7970 -> Fury X is fundamentally the same architecture. All AMD chips pre GCN have had support dropped as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I've seen that and their matchings do not pair up with any other known site, so I would really take that with a cruise load of salt.
    What site? Can you actually link a legit site (not freaking reddit) that shows newer drivers have gimped performance on Kepler cards?