Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Computer - Need to confirm I have a working setup

My old PC died a horrible, gruesome death. Now it's just a hunk of metal sitting on the floor, waiting to be thrown away.

I've built PCs before (two, in fact, the last one being that same dead hunk of metal), but I would not consider myself an expert on the subject. I'd really like to confirm with you guys that what I'm considering putting together isn't going to be a monstrous mistake.

------------------

The build:

1) Am I missing anything important in that build (a key component that slipped my mind -- I almost forgot to include RAM)?
    2) Are all of the parts compatible with the motherboard?
    3) Am I overspending anywhere (getting something I probably don't need and could downgrade)?
    4) Am I underspending anywhere?
    5) Do I have enough cooling?
    6) Is the PSU big enough?

------------------

The intended use of this PC:
    1) I want to play PC games at near max quality.
    2) I want to be able to do photo editing without issue.
    3) I want to be able to have multiple programs open at once without issues (which is the reason for the massive, possibly excess, amount of RAM).
    4) I want to be able to program on my computer (another reason for the excess RAM).

Budget: $1500 max, but would prefer to stay under $1300 if possible.

Desired arrival: ASAP. I'm currently looking to get all of these parts through Amazon because I have access to Amazon Prime, which gives free 2-day shipping. I am willing to switch to a different seller, but only on the condition that the overall price is lower or the available warranties are better (I do not like Amazon's warranty).

Not needed: I don't need monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard drive (technically, but I may still buy one).
    Last edited by Dendrek; 2016-06-29 at 11:00 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($251.39 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($105.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 USB3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $757.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 19:09 EDT-0400

i swapped your incompatible i7 with an i5 - unless you are batch processing a lot of photos at once, i don't think the HT on an i7 is all that helpful? anyone more experienced?

1080s and 1070s seem to be out of stock everywhere atm (pc part picker cannot even find them at all on amazon weirdly) but if you can find one without being gouged, they are both within the max budget. but before i recommend one, what monitor(s) do you have?

edit: oops i left OS out, but you can grab a windows 10 key from cdkey websites for around $30~

edit: argh merchant broke lemme fix it - ok pc part picker can't find 6600k either lol. bodge'd it with a custom amazon link..
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-06-29 at 11:12 PM.

The 6700 is compatible with that board I believe... Unless thres some funky stuff I don't know about. However If you're going to get a 6700... I'd get a 6700k. Instead of the 970 I'd either get a 1070 or a RX 480. Your power supply is fine. 32 GB of ram is overkill but if you need it that's fine. Other than that solid build.

Thank you boar! I'm looking over what you have there now.

One thing you forgot is a graphics card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked GDDR5 Pcie Video Graphics Card, 4GB - $299.78

Is that good?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The 6700 is compatible with that board I believe... Unless thres some funky stuff I don't know about. However If you're going to get a 6700... I'd get a 6700k. Instead of the 970 I'd either get a 1070 or a RX 480. Your power supply is fine. 32 GB of ram is overkill but if you need it that's fine. Other than that solid build.
    I actually changed it (apparently while boar was typing up that post). The previous one listed wasn't compatible.

I know 32gb is overkill. I'll probably never get past 16. But I've had issues with RAM in the past and would prefer to never even have to look at it.

Can anyone answer this: Let's say I have several programs running, one (or more) a game, several web pages, photoshop, and an IDE for a program I'm currently writing; is there any chance I'll get close to 16GB memory used?

- - - Updated - - -

Also @the boar: I'm not looking to get a monitor right now. I do want to get one eventually (a set, actually) but I still have my old monitors. They're ugly, but they'll do for now until I have more money to spend. But if you have suggestions for monitors, I'd be happy to hear it.

- - - Updated - - -

And @Mythbredor: Unless it's a huge improvement, I don't think getting gtx 1070 would be wise for me. It's several hundred more over 970. After tax, I think that would push me over my budget.

1070 should only be about 400$ and it is a pretty massive improvement you can look up some benchmarks yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i swapped your incompatible i7 with an i5 - unless you are batch processing a lot of photos at once, i don't think the HT on an i7 is all that helpful? anyone more experienced?
    Similar to my question before: Would an i5 be fine if I have 1 or more games running, several web pages, photoshop and an IDE for programming?

you say you may not need a HDD but trust me atleast get a TB (they're cheap now) for storage purposes

Don't know where you are located, but GTX1070 From Amazon Shows as little as 150 extra bucks for the 1070 over your current choice, and I believe it is Prime qualified. Limited quantity at the moment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    1070 should only be about 400$ and it is a pretty massive improvement you can look up some benchmarks yourself.
    I just looked up the benchmarks. It is impressive. However, I am not finding it for $400. Especially not on Amazon. The lowest I could find on Amazon is $450. And it's not even in stock until the 7th of next month. I'm hoping to have this PC shipped by this weekend (Friday ideally).

15+ Year Old Account
    From this list here are my suggestions:

The CPU, switch that out to a 6700K, considering you have a proper quality Z170 mobo a 6700K would suit you better as it's got a 10% higher base clock.
    The overclocking on it in the future may/will help you out as well.

The RAM is overkill in amount .. but of course it depends on the batch size and if you're working with a monstrous amount of RAW pictures.
    It can be useful but 16GB is overall enough to multi-task so you have to provide examples of photo editing.
    The important thing here though is that I'd change the RAM to 2666MHz if you want the sweet spot for performance/price or 3200MHz if you want pure performance.
    The 2133MHz, whilst OK, will actually suffer in performance with Skylake as it was the first architecture to give a damn again with DDR speeds for gaming.

Case - Not a fan of this smaller version, if you are on a budget in that sense I'd prefer the Corsair Carbide 200R or Fractal Design Define S.
    Much better than the 912 in almost every aspect in my opinion, either way both of the cases I suggested are recommended to purchase another fan.
    A Fractal Design GP-14 for the Define S and I believe it's an Corsair AF120 for the Carbide 200R, this way it remains identical to what they already have.

CPU Cooler - The Scythe Mugen is simply outclassed by the Cryorig H7 and Cryorig H5 series, both will work fine, the Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 will work as well.
    And I'm not even starting on the difference in mounting ease.

The OS - Considering you're working with photo-editing and it may involve batch transcoding I would recommend professional rather than home for delaying updates which will be forced by home. Alternatively you can also buy a Windows 7 Pro license from Kinguin for like 20 - 30 USD and then upgrade before the 29th of July with that key to Windows 10 Pro, saves you some moola.

Now for the big kahuna .. the GPU: I do not recommend a GTX 970 at all unless you can find one 2nd hand for ludicrously cheap prices I would pick the AMD RX 480 over the GTX 970.
    Now there's a lot of nay-sayers about the RX 480 and those are the people who thought it was going to fight the GTX 1070 for some ludicrous reason even though it was stated it was meant for the mainstream... having said that I would recommend waiting for 2 weeks to 1 month for the custom variants to be out.
    They will be considerably better than the reference designs out currently.

Having said that if you need a graphics card now and don't intend to OC it the RX 480 will do perfectly fine.

Edit:
    The rest of your build is perfectly OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    you say you may not need a HDD but trust me atleast get a TB (they're cheap now) for storage purposes
    I mean I have my old one. As far as I know, it's still fully functional (my last computer is dead either because of the MB or CPU... I didn't want to try to replace those to figure out which one, and the computer is over 5 years old, so I figured I'd just make a new one). The old HDD is 1TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    I mean I have my old one. As far as I know, it's still fully functional (my last computer is dead either because of the MB or CPU... I didn't want to try to replace those to figure out which one, and the computer is over 5 years old, so I figured I'd just make a new one). The old HDD is 1TB.
    As long as you have a decent storage drive to go with your SSD you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    Don't know where you are located, but GTX1070 From Amazon Shows as little as 150 extra bucks for the 1070 over your current choice, and I believe it is Prime qualified. Limited quantity at the moment though.
    Thank you. Not sure how I missed that when looking at Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Case - Not a fan of this smaller version, if you are on a budget in that sense I'd prefer the Corsair Carbide 200R or Fractal Design Define S.
    Much better than the 912 in almost every aspect in my opinion, either way both of the cases I suggested are recommended to purchase another fan.
    A Fractal Design GP-14 for the Define S and I believe it's an Corsair AF120 for the Carbide 200R, this way it remains identical to what they already have.
    I wasn't thinking about the fact the case was a mid tower. Total oversight on my part. I don't need a mid tower.

One thing I would like for the tower is that it's black and simple in design. It needs good air flow and minimal glow and noise (I know it's popular to have glowing cases for desktop computers, but I'd be perfectly happy to have something pitch black -- I hate the glow at night).

Any suggestions on a case with that in mind?

- - - Updated - - -

CPU Cooler - The Scythe Mugen is simply outclassed by the Cryorig H7 and Cryorig H5 series, both will work fine, the Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 will work as well.
    And I'm not even starting on the difference in mounting ease.
    Can't seem to get it on Amazon Prime. I'd be happy to get it otherwise, but I really do want it to arrive around the same time as the other parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick heads up, guys: I don't do photo editing professionally. It's a hobby. I do minor graphics editing for fun. So I don't need a computer that can do batch processing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't thinking about the fact the case was a mid tower. Total oversight on my part. I don't need a mid tower.

One thing I would like for the tower is that it's black and simple in design. It needs good air flow and minimal glow and noise (I know it's popular to have glowing cases for desktop computers, but I'd be perfectly happy to have something pitch black -- I hate the glow at night).

Any suggestions on a case with that in mind?
    The ones I suggested fit that bill, I'm a tech nerd in the truest sense which means function over form.
    I despise the UFO alien bullcrap cases, makes me go nuts as I prefer the simplicity and performance of non-retarded cases.

There are better ones but those are in the budget range of what you had earlier selected.

Can't seem to get it on Amazon Prime. I'd be happy to get it otherwise, but I really do want it to arrive around the same time as the other parts.
    Then order it seperately now from another supplier and you'll have it before the PC.
    Just check which you want, the H7 is more budget friendly but still good or the beefier H5 Ultimate/Universal.
    The Be Quiet! Pure Rock or Shadow Rock Slim are also fantastic coolers.

Both of these fit on the socket and mobo without issue and either are leagues ahead of Scythe IMO.

Quick heads up, guys: I don't do photo editing professionally. It's a hobby. I do minor graphics editing for fun. So I don't need a computer that can do batch processing.
    Then really 16GB of DDR4-3200MHz RAM would suit you just fine.
    You could potentially then drop down to an i5-6600K and spend the money you saved on either an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X or GigaByte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming edition, they are as best in class as brands for those cards.

The ones I suggested fit that bill, I'm a tech nerd in the truest sense which means function over form.
    I despise the UFO alien bullcrap cases, makes me go nuts as I prefer the simplicity and performance of non-retarded cases.

There are better ones but those are in the budget range of what you had earlier selected.
    Correct me if I'm wrong: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case - Isn't that a smaller case?

15+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case - Isn't that a smaller case?
    It's slightly thinner but also slightly larger.

My beef with the 912 is not the size of it but the fact that it's parent, the 932, is a work of art and the 912 is way too diluted.
    It's simply put less effective and IMO less aesthetically pleasing.

The Corsair Carbide 200R is good but really needs an added fan to be fully effective.
    What you do is you take the back fan and put it in front beneath the one you can see in the case (pull off the front) it will have the screw holes there.
    You then find another silent but good fan and replace the back one and you're gucci.

Do not thought that I'm NOT 100% sure if the Carbide 200R is wide enough for the MSI Gaming X variant of the 1070 because those tend to be stupidly wide for those case types... but I THINK it should fit the Define S.

Coincidentally the Define S works with the same trick... or even 2 more fans to have triple intake and 1 exhaust, all silent of course.
    But you only get 2 of them with the Define S so if you want more you need to add the Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 white bladed fans to it, either 1 or 2.

If you're getting busy with that I'd suggest getting 2 so you can have 3 intake and 1 exhaust since intake is filtered anyway and those fans are damned silent.

So I guess the whole shipping by Friday thing is out. In the process of setting up my rig, a few items I had went out of stock... (And finding replacements that are Prime compatible is probably not realistic at this point.)

Fortunately, I have a laptop to play on until I get this in, but I'm no longer in a rush to buy these parts. I should still place the order within the next day or so just to be sure I get them as soon as they come in stock.

@Evildeffy I'm actually slightly worried about the GPU fitting in the case now. My first time building a PC, I got a smaller case and a monster GPU. It only just barely fit and blocked a ton of airflow (and made cable management a nightmare). Any suggestion on where I might look to see if the MSI gtx 1070 will fit those cases you suggested?

Deleted
    Here's another option, add an RX480 or gtx1070 depending how far you want to go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($63.99 @ Mac Mall)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $930.17
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 02:40 EDT-0400

@Kilz Thank you. It sounds like the Corsair 200R will just barely fit the card. I'm not sure if that's a risk worth taking (since I'd have air-flow and cables to worry about as well), even though I do like the look of that tower better than the other.

@Kostattoo Thank you for the alternative options.

@Evildeffy The Cryorig coolers won't be delivered until at least a week after the rest of the parts will be. Expedited shipping would cost too much for that part (I'd have to pay 50% more just to get it a few days after the rest of the parts). Stupid question: would it be wise to go for about a week without a dedicated CPU fan?

A few options for fans I could get at the same time as the rest of the parts:
    1) ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 - 150 Watt Multicompatible Low Noise CPU Cooler for AMD and Intel Sockets
    2) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

I could link more if needed. I wonder if either of these two would be good, though.

---------------

One thing that @the boar mentioned earlier was that I can pick up a Windows 10 key online for $30. What I'm not sure about is whether I can actually install that on a new system. Would I have to burn it to a disk? If so, that might be an issue. Alternatively, though I've never tried it, I assume I cannot access the internet on a computer that does not have an OS on it. So without burning it, I can't imagine how I'd take advantage of that $30 key.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized, I need to get a network card, right?

Are there any other potential things I might be forgetting? Quick recap: I don't need monitors, a HDD, mouse, keyboard, or a CD ROM.

You should look at the motherboard you are getting, but most of them have a built in ethernet connection. You should only need the separate network card for wireless.