Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I like my Server Hop addon let me be clear to all of you it's not exploiting any glitches or bugs in any ways it's just a interfaced addon to help you find rares/quests/achievements cause no-one wants to sit and wait for a few hours ends.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

The annoying thing to me is the fact that all the joining and unjoining of the realm hoppers causes your group to become unlisted in the LFG tool and then you have to keep telling leader "we're not listed anymore, we're not listed anymore"

Fix that bug Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    This is just one of them.

entering a group and then seeing 50 people enter it and then leave because they're realmhopping hurts the game.

Sure the leader can just remove autoinvite but realistically most leaders wont.
    To be fair people joining and then dropping group right away happened all the time even back during BC and Wrath the only difference was the people joining and dropping right away were from just your realm. I remember once going through 40 people in one day to complete Heroic Shadow Labs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    realm hopping itself is not a problem, but abusing this feature is.
    solution is that people make special realm hop groups, and use these. i have noticed many of these in dungeon tool but sadly there's always more hoppers than people who want to share.
    It would take very little - just 1 person per realm(group), who makes group only for hoppers, to make this whole problem to go away.
    Maybe blizzard could make in-game NPC user what shares its realm.
    one thing that could fix it (but maybe cause different problems) is that when you join the group but you don't actually hop-realms until you are within a certain proximity of the group leader and you shift back to your home-realm when you are outside that proximity. can still do stuff and raid as groups but you can't join a group with somebody in their garrison to farm Pandaria rares.

Disabling ream-hopping won't stop people from stealing the rares on your low-pop server. They'll just roll DKs there.

Something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Servos View Post
    The annoying thing to me is the fact that all the joining and unjoining of the realm hoppers causes your group to become unlisted in the LFG tool and then you have to keep telling leader "we're not listed anymore, we're not listed anymore"

Fix that bug Blizz
    My problem with hopping involves phasing. If more than 50% of the group is from one realm the whole group phases over. So say I see Doomroller, two guys join, then a 4-boxer from Illidan (I see this one guy almost every day). We all get ripped over to the Illidan realm and I have to leave the group to get back to my home realm and and de-list. Or I list and 5 guys ask to join. 2 of them are from the same big realm and 2 are hoppers from somewhere else. Soon as the hoppers leave the group is once again phased to the majority realm. I've gotten yelled at a lot of times hosting groups like that who think I'm trolling or who whisper me demanding an invite and I gotta ask them to wait until more people not from their realm join so it's not messed up.

If they fixed that, and the delisting bug Servos mentioned I'd have no problem with hopping. (And of course if they removed that silly no questing in raids thing but I admit that's stretching.)
    Last edited by cparle87; 2016-06-30 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Adding more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    My problem with hopping involves phasing. If more than 50% of the group is from one realm the whole group phases over. So say I see Doomroller, two guys join, then a 4-boxer from Illidan (I see this one guy almost every day). We all get ripped over to the Illidan realm and I have to leave the group to get back to my home realm and and de-list. Or I list and 5 guys ask to join. 2 of them are from the same big realm and 2 are hoppers from somewhere else. Soon as the hoppers leave the group is once again phased to the majority realm. I've gotten yelled at a lot of times hosting groups like that who think I'm trolling or who whisper me demanding an invite and I gotta ask them to wait until more people not from their realm join so it's not messed up.

If they fixed that, and the delisting bug Servos mentioned I'd have no problem with hopping. (And of course if they removed that silly no questing in raids thing but I admit that's stretching.)
    I thought that only happened when people join as a group. After Kazzak as people drop from the raid, I don't recall being shunted from server to server. I end up on the original server even if I'm the last person online. Or if I start a group for a tanaan daily, and leave when I'm finished, the other people are still on my server.
    Last edited by Gwiez; 2016-06-30 at 01:27 AM.

Usually it happens as the group is disbanding, but it does happen. A group I'd formed killed Terrorfist on my realm. As the group was dispersing we all got shifted to another realm. I know for sure cause I was just about to drop down and kill that warlock rare on top of the tower right by Terrorfist, and he phased away right in front of my eyes.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2016-06-30 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    You're thinking of CRZ not realm hopping. They're not the same thing.
    Most realm hoppers are joining groups to get a certain rare to already be spawned on the group leader's realm (usually a rare that drops a pet or mount). The realm hoppers hope that by getting ported to the leader's realm they can avoid the time/effort commitment usually needed on their own realm to be able to kill said rare.

Cross realm is more like when every realm involved in the CRZ merge, for lack of a better description, has increased competition for everyone by enabling people not on your realm to be in direct competition for the same rare when pre CRZ only pitted players from the same realm against one another. This competition differs from realm hopping in that anyone from your 'CRZ realm' can see a rare pop up at any time & does not require those players to go searching for groups in lfg to test other realms' spawns.

Realm hopping is competition done by player choice & usually only hit up other realms for a few minutes at the most per realm. CRZ is competition that players have no choice to initiate or opt out of and can cause other players to run into a rare after being in a zone doing random things unrelated to hunting for that rare & can reward lucky unexpecting players while punishing unlucky players expecting to eventually get that rare from intentional camping/farming.

Despite players ending up getting 'punished' from weeks or months of unlucky streaks, while a random may get rewarded from little to no purposefully searching for a rare I still think the working model makes up a lot of the excitement for trying to get a rare, making it more worthwhile to spend a longer time towards working to obtain that rare kill. A rare that you can just instantly tag from spamming a couple dozen realms for invites just feeds instant gratification & impatience.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2016-06-30 at 03:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    "(of a thing) not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value." For example a one-of-a-kind diamond could be considered rare even though it exists all the time. Same for a one-of-a-kind WoW NPC.
    Lol, so much fail..

Your diamond is not always there.. It have spawned once, and when younhave gathered it, it's no longer there and never will be..
    By your definition, a new one would appear, once it was removed from the mine..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Honestly don't think they have EVER responded with regards to realm hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Such an advantage shouldn't exist, therefore there's no need to change/fix anything. Good luck at finding your rares, may i suggest realm-hopping?
    Larger busier servers have many advantages why shouldn't smaller or dead servers have some too?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Larger busier servers have many advantages why shouldn't smaller or dead servers have some too?
    Small realms got advantage of being able to transfer to a bigger realm

I think it's dumb and annoying, but fairly trivial.

Honestly, if they wanted to do it I think it would be easy. Add some kind of minor "cooldown" to realm hopping (ex. 5 realms/hr). But that would make issues with group finder and it's generally just not all that worth it to implement in their eyes, and I kind of agree. This isn't a particularly huge deal.

Do I personally find it annoying? Yeah, and I wish it didn't exist. But this is a part of the Pandora's Box that was opened when they implemented this system.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Lol, so much fail..

Your diamond is not always there.. It have spawned once, and when younhave gathered it, it's no longer there and never will be..
    By your definition, a new one would appear, once it was removed from the mine..
    Wrong. Rares are already available at all times thanks to realm hopping, that doesn't stop them from being rare mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    I think it's dumb and annoying, but fairly trivial.

Honestly, if they wanted to do it I think it would be easy. Add some kind of minor "cooldown" to realm hopping (ex. 5 realms/hr). But that would make issues with group finder and it's generally just not all that worth it to implement in their eyes, and I kind of agree. This isn't a particularly huge deal.

Do I personally find it annoying? Yeah, and I wish it didn't exist. But this is a part of the Pandora's Box that was opened when they implemented this system.
    Hidden cooldowns suck. I think if you are not within 500 yards of person who started the group, gtfo back to your realm would be better option. I guess they do not have the technology yet, but they absolutely will need to deal with it. Amount of people who use realm hopping will keep increasing, completely destroying usefulness of LFG tool and making farming anything almost impossible (you do not compete against people of your server, you now compete against hardcore farmers from ALL servers).

Quote Originally Posted by Hemski View Post
    Small realms got advantage of being able to transfer to a bigger realm
    Works both ways then, odd how that works.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I think realm-hopping is an unanticipated consequence of realm joins. As someone posted earlier, connected realms were really supposed to allow friends to play together without moving servers, and as an alternative to server merges.

I've definitely used realm hopping, in fact without it, the Tanaan achievements for flying would have been a massive chore, and I doubt I would have ever got the Predator title. I've also used it with less success to get rare hunter pets

I can see Blizz doing something to fix this, although I have no idea what. I think it's useful, but Blizz has a habit of removing un-intended emergent game styles.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

I've seen a blue responce once about realm hopping being a problem. I'm too lazy to find it though.

Just add a cooldown (debuff) already, you join a group and leave, than you cant join an other for 5 min ... problem solved

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    cause no-one wants to sit and wait for a few hours ends.
    This is how killing rares should be, they are called rare for a reason...
    Last edited by Joozt; 2016-06-30 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    https://twitter.com/warcraftdevs/sta...61664853782528

@WarcraftDevs Any plans to stop people from 'realm-hopping' into raids trying to form then leaving at once?
    Cory Underwood: We realize it’s a major nuisance and we’re investigating solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post
    This is how killing rares should be, they are called rare for a reason...
    Not anymore. With 100+ respawing every hour they lost their meaning with WoD and in Legion there are even more. They are "special" mobs since they drop something special. They are not rare anymore.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!