Page 61 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperedAngus View Post
    It's basically a version of binning, which happens in a lot of products - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AQPIBfIqMk
    There's a multitude of reasons to deactivate the RAM in some products: stability, performance, shift in demand, etc.

Remember when the cores on a dual-core Phenom II could be unlocked to turn it into a quad-core?
    They disabled the cores supposedly because those sections were defective. But this is the amount of ram, and I doubt half of it is defective. The only other possibility is that the memory controller is defective, but then why is it still 256-bit bus? They just deactivated the ram to increase the value of the card, which is evil as hell.

I would definitely get a 4GB version and hack in the 8GB, given that someone figures out how.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Price on this RX480 is meant to be $199 in the US? And it's like £240 here in the UK, that's quite a price difference. It puts it at the same price point as a GTX970, and it's roughly same performance according to Digital Foundry video.
    Blame Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    They disabled the cores supposedly because those sections were defective. But this is the amount of ram, and I doubt half of it is defective. The only other possibility is that the memory controller is defective, but then why is it still 256-bit bus? They just deactivated the ram to increase the value of the card, which is evil as hell.

I would definitely get a 4GB version and hack in the 8GB, given that someone figures out how.

- - - Updated - - -

Blame Brexit?
    Blame it all on Brexit!! US gets a card for $200, we get the same one for $320.. I wish I could blame Brexit but I almost shat myself when I saw the actual price of the GTX1080 when it hit the market here, expecting something comparable to the US prices, and that was before Brexit chunked our currency.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    What site? Can you actually link a legit site (not freaki ng reddit) that shows newer drivers have gimped performance on Kepler cards?
    What I mean by that is they show the favoring of 780Ti perform better than the 290x like in Shadows of Mordor iirc, though tpu stopped benching with that for some reason. They show a bigger delta in performancethan other sites. Start here or so, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/9.html doesn'thave all of it anymorebut meh.

What is an issue was Witcher 3 performing subpar to what was expected. People bitched a lot on Nvidia forum and on that they had to release a new driver for Kepler to improve performance by 20%+, 352.84? I think. It's not that performance is gimped for old gamees, it's performance that's gimped for newer games.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...tcher_3/3.html

Also crappy free 2G roaming is hard to use even on tablet. Yay bus time.

- - - Updated - - -

Blame it all on Brexit!! US gets a card for $200, we get the same one for $320.. I wish I could blame Brexit but I almost shat myself when I saw the actual price of the GTX1080 when it hit the market here, expecting something comparable to the US prices, and that was before Brexit chunked our currency.
    It's more like $260, £ dropped a load.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    What I mean by that is they show the favoring of 780Ti perform better than the 290x like in Shadows of Mordor iirc, though tpu stopped benching with that for some reason. They show a bigger delta in performancethan other sites. Start here or so, https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/9.html doesn'thave all of it anymorebut meh.

What is an issue was Witcher 3 performing subpar to what was expected. People bitched a lot on Nvidia forum and on that they had to release a new driver for Kepler to improve performance by 20%+, 352.84? I think. It's not that performance is gimped for old gamees, it's performance that's gimped for newer games.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...tcher_3/3.html

Also crappy free 2G roaming is hard to use even on tablet. Yay bus time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's more like $260, £ dropped a load.
    I did the calculation based on the value right now, so nope it's $320

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the calculation based on the value right now, so nope it's $320
    Isn't it 1 to 1.3 or so atm?

No more bus time.

I was very much intrested in the rx 470, i thought it was ment to launch the same time as the 480, but everytime i search all i get its a gazzillion info about the 480 and nothing concrete in the 470, anyone know if its ment to be released already or soon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbazz View Post
    i did the calculation based on the value right now, so nope it's $320
    £240 - 20%vat = £200 = $270

so thats $30 markup/import rights/etc.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-06-30 at 06:35 AM.

Isn't it 1 to 1.3 or so atm?

No more bus time.
    1.34 at the moment.

240 x 1.34 = 321.6

The £ has dropped but people severly dramatising the fact, it has been dropping since like 2014 where it was up at 1.6 ish. Looking at that comparison the Brexit drop is not that dramatic, it was just dramatic for overnight.. Either way it's already back on the rise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    I was very much intrested in the rx 470, i thought it was ment to launch the same time as the 480, but everytime i search all i get its a gazzillion info about the 480 and nothing concrete in the 470, anyone know if its ment to be released already or soon?
    470 mid july
    460 late july

- - - Updated - - -

1.34 at the moment.

240 x 1.34 = 321.6

The £ has dropped but people severly dramatising the fact, it has been dropping since like 2014 where it was up at 1.6 ish. Looking at that comparison the Brexit drop is not that dramatic, it was just dramatic for overnight.. Either way it's already back on the rise.
    you gotto subtract VAT first you cant just convert it, since VAT isnt included in US prices.

470 mid july

Many thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    Many thanks
    that will presumably turn into late july for non-reference models though so keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    What will a 470 be? basically a 380?

10+ Year Old Account
    1.34 at the moment.

240 x 1.34 = 321.6

Oh you're basing off $240, you wrote $200 which was why I was confused. Misread.

Oh you're basing off $240, you wrote $200 which was why I was confused. Misread.
    US price is $200
    UK price is £240 x 1.34 = $322

That's how I wrote it originally, if you look.

10+ Year Old Account
    US price is $200

Yeah I misread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    £240 - 20%vat = £200 = $270

so thats $30 markup/import rights/etc.
    You better hope that those new cards come out before Osborne has his way...

Deleted
    The Cheapest RX480 in one of the big retailers, not some undercutting reseller store, is 285 Euro.
    For comparsion GTX 1070 is 505 Euro and 1080 is 700.

Funny thing is There's already a lot of FE and Partner Boards in stock for all of the above mentioned cards. Especially Grainward ( PALiT )
    As for RX it's mostly Sapphire and GIGABYTE but since it's reference the branddoesn't matter at all.

US price is $200

I find the 4gb version for als low as 185 pounds, or 219€.
    which is <$250 and has tax included, the us price is without tax.
    So pretty similar if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    I find the 4gb version for als low as 185 pounds, or 219€.
    which is <$250 and has tax included, the us price is without tax.
    So pretty similar if you ask me.
    Ahh I didn't think about taxes in the US, fair enough then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    What will a 470 be? basically a 380?
    The 470 is a 480 but cut down. That's another graphics card to keep your eye on for BIOS hacking into a RX 480.