Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Hmm Zika virus (plague) running rampant
    To be fair, Zika is less of a problem now. The winter will be helping in decreasing the vectors too, since there will be way less mosquitoes.

Sadly, we are seeing an increase in chikungunya cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    source? Never heared anbody being called racist for not attending the Rio Olympics.
    While I am currently having trouble finding an online source. Yesterday on CNN they had a correspondent on and she explicitly said she believes it is racism that these athletes are not attending due to the countries uncontrollable issues. There have also been numerous athletes resorting to name-calling against the few who have decided to not attend for similar reasons. I wish I could get you a source because it is pretty damn ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    While I am currently having trouble finding an online source. Yesterday on CNN they had a correspondent on and she explicitly said she believes it is racism that these athletes are not attending due to the countries uncontrollable issues. There have also been numerous athletes resorting to name-calling against the few who have decided to not attend for similar reasons. I wish I could get you a source because it is pretty damn ironic.
    That's an interesting stance. If I don't want to go to a place because I think it's a shit hole that makes me a racists? What does it make me if the locations are all white?

Deleted
    That's... rather stupid.

Brazil is third world in many parts of the country, and the Olympics are a disgusting display that should be abolished and the bureaucrats in charge of it hung or shot for crimes against humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

What race are these athletes racist against in Brazil? There are whites, Hispanics/Latinos and blacks in Brazil. It is one of the most racially diverse countries on Earth. Typical idiotic response from a CNN newsbot playing to a progressive left-wing American audience that doesn't know its ass from a hole in the wall.

I wonder if sports can stop being bribed (SLC 2002, Russia 2018, Qatar 2022), or being enticed by out-of-proportions bids (Sochi 2014). Then maybe we can start taking them seriously again.

Just look at the bidding for the Olympics. Nobody wants to host it anymore. for 2022 the IOC only had Almaty and Beijing left. No serious, traditional winter sports destination wants to take the Olympics on again.
    Nobody wants the Olympics because the money spent to host them vastly out weighs any economic benefit. Many of these countries spend billions to build these lavish stadiums and sports complexes that go unused after the Olympics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Brazil is third world in many parts of the country, and the Olympics are a disgusting display that should be abolished and the bureaucrats in charge of it hung or shot for crimes against humanity.

- - - Updated - - -

What race are these athletes racist against in Brazil? There are whites, Hispanics/Latinos and blacks in Brazil. It is one of the most racially diverse countries on Earth. Typical idiotic response from a CNN newsbot playing to a progressive left-wing American audience that doesn't know its ass from a hole in the wall.
    You seem like a very sensible person with a very rational point of view.

That's... rather stupid.
    Yea, it isn't widespread but I have seen it. I think the idea is because it's a third world nation the Olympics could help them out and people aren't being open minded if they are afraid of pollution, diseases, and gang violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I still don't understand how there are any athletes willing to go there.
    A lot of athletes have 2 maybe 3 times where they can go to the Olympics and still be in their prime form. It's their life goal, giving up one wouldn't be an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post

Using the race card is starting to become passé. I am starting to hate the media and these uptight ass-wads who find something to cry about. People can legitimately not like certain things, places or people without being racist.

When the World Cup was coming to Brazil they insisted they cracked down on crime and the murder rate had drastically dropped off. What they tried to keep secret was the missing person reports and cases sky rocketed. To cook the books on murders they just didn't pursue or solve missing person reports. It was like they took a page out of The Wire, but instead of hiding bodies in old buildings cars were the location of choice.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Body parts wash up at Olympic volleyball venue in Rio de Janeiro
    http://wtvr.com/2016/06/30/body-part...io-de-janeiro/

The IOC is corrupt as hell.

Lots more opportunity for graft and personal enrichment when you're dealing in the 3rd world shitholes.

Hmm Zika virus (plague) running rampant, bodies washing up on the beach, police and firefighters stating they are standing down,

Shit happens in third world shitholes.

Shits going to happen in the Olympics too, since its in a third world shit hole.

Stop hosting them in backasswards countries and this wouldn't happen.

I can only imagine what ISIS has planned for this clusterfuck.

They don't even have the rail system to the Olympic park finished.

Underdeveloped and culturally handicapped nations like Brazil, shouldn't be hosting large events.

oO
    It's just more wealth redistribution. They choose Third World shit holes to bring some economic vitality to the place and leave it with some nifty infrastructure. It's usually lost on the corrupt and ignorant.

Just look at Greece. All those places they built and improved on are abandoned and falling apart.

Fuck the World.
    So, what you are trying to say, if I can read between the lines, is that Brazil is shitty?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I love the Olympics, it's one of my favorite things! But this is just a disgrace.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, what you are trying to say, if I can read between the lines, is that Brazil is shitty?
    I think the terminology he's going for is "third world shit hole"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I still don't understand how there are any athletes willing to go there.
    They train for four years for this opportunity. Honestly, I'm actually a bit surprised by how many are choosing to forego all of that.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

The 2014 FIFA World Cup was given to Brazil in 2007, and the Olympics in 2009. All well before the recent political and virus related problems.

The World Cup went pretty well, so until quite recently I don't think all that many people doubted their ability to host the Olympics. Certainly the things that are making people doubt how the Olympics are going to go weren't happening in 2009 when the 2016 Olympic host nation was being chosen.

I think the terminology he's going for is "third world shit hole"
    Yeah, he was so vague about his thoughts, it was hard for me to decipher.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Also I love the Olympics, it's one of my favorite things! But this is just a disgrace.
    I love the Olympics too sadly it has become too commercialized and overly pompous. It is more a display about the Host Country then it is about the Athletes and the Olympic events.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Nobody wants the Olympics because the money spent to host them vastly out weighs any economic benefit. Many of these countries spend billions to build these lavish stadiums and sports complexes that go unused after the Olympics.
    The last host of the summer games to not hemorrhage money was Atlanta and that was because they had most of the infrastructure in place already. The winter Olympics is even worse since you can't repurpose things like a bobsled course. It also doesn't help that the IOC gets a far larger cut of the money then the host cities. If the Olympics wants to keep moving forward they need to start sharing the money better with the host cities/countries and have set locations that they rotate every few years. That way places don't keep building these massive structures that are a single use building and then left to rot like Sochi.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Don't Worry guys, Rio is ok.
    We just have things like

Public Security on the lowest level i've ever seen. Violence levels were never higher than now, up to the point where robbers will probably kill you even if you do not react, simply because they do not care about lives at all. For tourists, if you come here without someone to guide you, i sincerely suggest you stay with the masses of tourists.
    Also, if you are a Tourist that doesn't speak fluent portuguese, be prepared to be scammed on almost every service that is not in rigid rules. Taxis, street vendors, beach vendors, etc will try to profit on your behalf.

Public Health System completely abandoned and saturated.

Zika, Chikunguya, Dengue, all the Vector Based Diseases spread by moskitos.

A month ago, a piece of a Bicycle path was torn apart by the sea, on a rainy day. Clearly it was the fault of Nature though.
    Yesterday, pieces of a corpse were found at the side of the Olympic Arena for Beach Volley in Copacabana, if i'm not mistaken.
    We still do not have the new lines of the subways, which should be ready on the late 2015/early 2016.
    And the best one, Rio de Janeiro (the state) declared state of public calamity, meaning the state is completely broke.

But hey, at least our politicians, which are all the cleanest in every way, can say that we got the Rio 2016 Olympics /s

PS: Excelent video from Vox. Everything is exactly like it is portrayed on the video.
    Last edited by Ferozan; 2016-06-30 at 03:31 PM.
    US-Azralon Rise Above
    Main: Ferozan

FFXIV: Lannile Polebows