Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Extroverted people seem to do this more, because in their view silence is horrible in conversations.

Replace uhh with profanity. People will think you have tourette's and will leave you alone.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    So uhh... I'm aware I've had a habit of uhh, saying 'uhh' in between thoughts during conversations.
    It's uhh, one of those thing I consider irritating especially using it in every other sentence.
    Anyone had this sort of issue? Other examples being... uh.. "well" "so..." etc

(Obama does come to mind when talking about this)
    So a lot of posters have already said the cause, you're talking too fast so your brain has to start thinking of the next thing to say, it takes a bit of a conscious effort at first but after awhile it will feel like second nature.

Slow down your speech. There are a couple good reasons, why, it conveys confidence. If you talk slower you know the audience will listen, whoever that audience may be. Ever see the Count of Monte Cristo remake the way he talks when he pretends to be a count? Soft and slow. People have to make an effort to hear him.

If you want to practice it, find a script or a famous speech whatever floats your boat and practice saying it slowly. It's all about training yourself to not speak incredibly fast.

The benefits are great. 1, people will stop saying "Huh" after you say something if you speak slow, clear and concisely (with proper enunciation of course).

You also give your mind a rest, it no longer has to worry about word after word in such rapid succession and allows you to truly be engaged with whoever you are speaking with.

Anyway, enjoy, there are plenty of resources out there. Practice is key though, you always have to practice, like riding a bike or training muscles, only way to get where you're going is starting down that path.

So uhh... I'm aware I've had a habit of uhh, saying 'uhh' in between thoughts during conversations.
    It's uhh, one of those thing I consider irritating especially using it in every other sentence.

I notice when people do that a lot and it drives me crazy lol, its like they need sound to fill the void

Deleted
    Hm, I usually try to compose in my head what I want to say next. But yes, this habit wont go away easy. It will go kicking and screaming. If ever.

All you can do is reduce it. At least from what I have seen over the years.

Smack your hand with a ruler every time you do it. I've worked with people who uhh, every 4-5 words when they are speaking on concalls. Personally it makes me wonder if they know what thehell they are talking about.

We all have little things we do, the goal is to catch them and stomp them out. Making yourself aware of when you do it, is key I believe. Sometimes you don't have the chance, but thinking out what you want to say a couple of times should help. I personally prefer if the person just stops talking altogether....and finish their......sentences with.....blank spaces. so I prefer people talk like capt Kirk over sticking in "uhhh" to cover the gaps
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-06-30 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't stop Obama!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really easy to get rid of it, as a matter of fact!

We use it to fill silences. Why do you ask? Because we don't want to looks like we don't know what to say. Usually, we try to convey a thinking sound, hence where "uh" comes in.

The solution? Don't say anything. Don't say "uh", "well" or "like". Accept the silence. It might sound stupid at first - "If I say nothing I'll look like someone who don't know/forgot what to say!". That's simply not true. Putting emphasis on the silent moments will make you look intelligent. Obviously, ten seconds silence is awkward, but there's no shame with filling those "uh" moments with a little bit of quiet while you think what to say.

And oddly enough, as I was looking for a source, I found this LPT from Reddit that's roughly a year old basically saying the exact same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips...e_youll_sound/

Politicians use that in their speeches. Yes, even Trump.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Add a second "uhh" and a "yeah", then speak with a beat and everyone will think you're a hip-hop genius.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I have the opposite problem: my thoughts always go much faster than my speech, so I often start saying one thing, then, not really completing it, switch to another, and so on... Let's swap!
    Haha same! I tend to think of something else to say whilst speaking and I get a little tongue twisted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I uuuuuhhhh, don't think, uuuuhhh, that people can do that because umm, reasons. Also, umm...

Really though, it is kind of annoying, I agree, but if you've not fully thought what you're going to say in every situation then it'll happen eventually.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Become an airline pilot?

Deleted
    It makes you sound stupid so probably a good idea to stop doing it especially if you use it frequently like between every sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well uhh... I'd be lying if I uhh, you know, disagreed with you.
    At this point you must ask yourself if you are just trolling people with this thread. Saying "Uhh" isn't a bad thing, it means your brain is still working hard whilst you are speaking and sometimes it gets caught up in itself. I usually had it when I was doing an oral examination and I was thinking hard about the question I was asked.

It can be practiced however, work on speaking in shorter and more precise sentences so you don't end up getting caught in them.

But if you are trying to tell me that even in writing you go "uhh" after every other word I'm gonna flat out call you a troll and a liar. No one writes like that.