Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You get the moving spray tag at the end of the season just for completing your placement matches. So dunno why you'd pass out, the spray will be everywhere.
    No, only the top 500 players get the animated version of the spray.
    Last edited by xerus; 2016-06-30 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    No, only the top 500 players get the moving version of the spray.
    There's a 500 Gold Bag with the elite symbol for that. Also, the intro at the beginning even showed you being able to unlock that.

Also, the patch notes say you get the moving spray.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    REWARDS:In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can earn new rewards that are only available through Competitive Play. At the end of a season, anyone who has completed the 10 placement matches will receive a special spray and player icon, with a new set of designs being released every season.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a 500 Gold Bag with the elite symbol for that. Also, the intro at the beginning even showed you being able to unlock that.

Also, the patch notes say you get the moving spray.
    No, the notes say you get a spray. The animated version of that spray is exclusive to finishing in the top 500 for the season. If you are currently in the top 500 on your server you get the white and gold symbol on your frame (currently bugged and random people see it).

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    No, the notes say you get a spray. The animated version of that spray is exclusive to finishing in the top 500 for the season. If you are currently in the top 500 on your server you get the white and gold symbol on your frame (currently bugged and random people see it).
    Where are you seeing that? I copied/pasted the notes that said special spray and icon and then it specifically shows those two images. Then if you look at the datamines you see the Top 500 spray. So by showing those two images and saying if you complete 10 matches you'll receive a spray/icon people will assume it is those two.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where are you seeing that? I copied/pasted the notes that said special spray and icon and then it specifically shows those two images. Then if you look at the datamines you see the Top 500 spray. So by showing those two images and saying if you complete 10 matches you'll receive a spray/icon people will assume it is those two.
    Just look in game in the sprays? There are two: one is animated (Season 1 Hero) and one is not (Season 1 Competitor). The animated one says "Unlocked by achieving top 500 ranking in during season 1"

Is been known to be the case since the PTR went up and the first info was datamined.
    Last edited by xerus; 2016-06-30 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    Ya it's so strange, I mean I went 8-2 with insane scores in every game Still landed on 55'ish! In like 3-4 of the matches the other team had 60's etc.

Edit KotH is confirmed bugged giving way less MMR than it was meant to. I had 4 of the matches during placements on this gametype and won all 4 :/ Ergh, looks like I drew the short straw!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c..._receive_1020/
    Good to know that Blizzard is aware of the bug and looking fix it. I'll probably wait for more comp until it is.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...page=1#post-20

I was 7-3 and got a 49 rank. Honestly most of my games were one sided stomps, so maybe that's why it couldn't rank me any higher, not enough time to build up any score. Also I played tank for the most part and babysat the objectives. Lots of Damaged blocked and objective time, but KtoD was only about 1.5:1 as I only had to deal with the stragglers of the other team on winning games or was just dead as target #2 or #1 on losing games.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Not sure how these work, but I won 8 and got rank 53 :S

Deleted
    I went 5-5 and got 52.
    This is after being 4-1 after my first 5 games. Then shit went down. Go figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I've actually been afraid to step into competitive yet. I've seen a lot of the people I was playing with in their competitive games, many of them went back to quick match...I had one ask me to get on the other night and do some competitive with a bunch of them but it was too late at night and I was about to log off. I've heard it was pretty bad, and just figured I would wait a week until things even out before trying placement.
    In the PuGs I've done, there basically seems to be no real difference between QM - at least not right now when everyone is trying it out for placement or novelty. Same sort of mix of skill and effort, maybe slightly more communication in chat though.

I'd say if you're going to test the waters, test it now while there are a lot of folks doing it. If you try later, you're probably going to be doing your placement matches with teams consisting entirely of folks that ranked very poorly, which could be a frustrating experience.

QUEUE WITH US AGAIN WE'RE DELIGHTFUL.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2016-06-30 at 05:39 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    In the PuGs I've done, there basically seems to be no real difference between QM - at least not right now when everyone is trying it out for placement or novelty. Same sort of mix of skill and effort, maybe slightly more communication in chat though.

I'd say if you're going to test the waters, test it now while there are a lot of folks doing it. If you try later, you're probably going to be doing your placement matches with teams consisting entirely of folks that ranked very poorly, which could be a frustrating experience.

QUEUE WITH US AGAIN WE'RE DELIGHTFUL.
    That's true...hadn't really thought of that. If you see me on and ungrouped, send me an invite!

All in all I figured the first few days would be kind of frightening because all of the amazing players would end up queued against all the lower tier players and we'd all get our butts kicked and hate it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    I was 7-3 and got a 49 rank. Honestly most of my games were one sided stomps, so maybe that's why it couldn't rank me any higher, not enough time to build up any score. Also I played tank for the most part and babysat the objectives. Lots of Damaged blocked and objective time, but KtoD was only about 1.5:1 as I only had to deal with the stragglers of the other team on winning games or was just dead as target #2 or #1 on losing games.
    thats how it was for me too.

I went 2-8 and got rank 38. Went 1-1 before losing the next 7 matches. Only the 7th was really good where I ended up doing nearly 20k healing and used ult 8 times as lucio. Those 6 losses were pretty much "gg" after 2min and on matches where we had to switch sides, when we did, my team would not play seriously and all pick the same hero and just mess around handing the win to the enemy team without trying.

so out of 10 games I only got metals in 3 of them. I was support in 7 matches and I averaged like 1900 healing (excluding that actually good loss) because I got shat on by immature players. The 10th game I won, and I only did 6000 healing, that ended up being 53% of team dmg(2 players on enemy team left the match). so no metal there except for post game thumbs up's from both teams.

so far, the way I see it....
    - If your enemy team rage quits you get nothing. +1pt to rank
    - if you steam roll and win in 2min you get nothing. +1pt to rank
    - if you yourself get steamrolled you get nothing (except a loss in rank, holy shit their lossing points system is harsh). -50-100pts to rank
    - if your team rage quits.... well... you get screwed by the players and blizzard. -50-100pts to rank
    - if its a long ass game, intense, and u win... metals rain down on you. +/-??pts to rank
    - if its a long ass game, intense, and u lose... metals rain down on you. +/-??pts to rank

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone can feel free to add me Wsky#1332
    Only rank 47 right now (had an auto-loss in placement)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...this whole thing seems a bit like garbage so far. Took your advice and stepped in, got three placement matches in. First one went all the way to sudden death and my team lost. Second one my team had three tanks for some reason and the enemy team had a reaper and they were beating us up pretty good and then one of them left. Then three more left. Two guys stayed and faced us but after the first guy left they were pretty much screwed. Happy I got a win in but getting it that way feels cheap. Third match went to like round three or something and we lost. Again.

I'm not thinking my placement rank is going to end up very good with all the frustrating pugs.

Also, the entire match my team actually won I got to listen to two guys bicker back and forth on voice chat about if D.Va was a crappy choice for competitive or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. I'll try to steal ya when we have a small group Rivelle. I can't promise we'll be good (you know I'm not), but at least you know we're all awake and aware of the objectives and not gonna waste the matching bickering about inane things.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really not a benefit when it means being grouped with me, and I am fucking awful

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It's really not a benefit when it means being grouped with me, and I am fucking awful
    Aww don't say that.
    Say "I'm playing below my rank because placement stuck me with five leavers every round.

I've had 1 win and 3 losses so far, only 1 was a team of people who just could not handle the challenge they were against and were beaten like a wet paper bag, the other defeats were hard fought losses which I don't get frustrated over because they were pretty damn close. The last was a wet paper bag beating win. So while the losses may outnumber the wins I am not really that upset about it since 2 were hard fought losses, 1 wipe and 1 wiped.

Also they said they have personal skill modifiers set up, I expect that to mean that if you can do X damage as reaper and kill X people per game as reaper you rate between here and here on the skill chart, and hitting so many hooks as Roadhog and self healing for X puts you between here and here.

It's not just straight up winning matches to determine ranking.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-06-30 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I've had 1 win and 3 losses so far, only 1 was a team of people who just could not handle the challenge they were against and were beaten like a wet paper bag, the other defeats were hard fought losses which I don't get frustrated over because they were pretty damn close. The last was a wet paper bag beating win. So while the losses may outnumber the wins I am not really that upset about it since 2 were hard fought losses, 1 wipe and 1 wiped.

Also they said they have personal skill modifiers set up, I expect that to mean that if you can do X damage as reaper and kill X people per game as reaper you rate between here and here on the skill chart, and hitting so many hooks as Roadhog and self healing for X puts you between here and here.

It's not just straight up winning matches to determine ranking.
    Exactly. There's so much variation with people holding the same record, it's asinine to think that ranking is only based on w/l

I enjoy close matches. Win or lose, it means it we challenging and not a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Given that we know there are issues such as how points are handled on KotH maps right now, it's no shock that people with the same records are ending up with wildly different ranks.

Like I said earlier, it's possible that there are some adjustments based on your "performance" in any given game, but winning or losing will still remain the primary determining factor. Any other system just wouldn't make sense.
    I guess I misunderstood your posts then (at work so it's likely)
    I was intending to counter the crowd claiming that only w/l is taken into account when placing or leveling.