Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    all of them have bad critic reviews but good user reviews
    Mostly because they were padded 10/10 trolls. You can see they are steadily decreasing as actual reviews come through.

obvious, movies that do bad during its first days won't stay long. If it is a hit they stay longer, if they bomb hard from one week to another then maybe they are out too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    Eh?

Look at he top 3 "critic" websites right now.

Rotten
    Metacritic
    IMDB

all of them have bad critic reviews but good user reviews

gee, I wonder who's right?

The movie wasn't AMAZING but it was definitely enjoyable, I'd give it an easy 7/10. Some scenes felt rushed/squashed together but still, for a "pilot" movie I think it was very good and it opens the door for some awesome movies to come.

Critic reviews are not Warcraft fans and gave low ratings. Warcraft fans watched the movie and gave it a high score. The rest of the moviegoers that are not Warcraft fans did not went to watch it because they do not know about it and they saw the bad scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'm very skeptical that either Wanda would give that much of the profit to Legendary, or that the Chinese government would allow them to even if they wanted to do so. The Chinese government does not like money leaving China.
    Wanda bought Legendary earlier this year. So the money doesn't have to go to Legendary for the movie to be profitable for those pulling the strings.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Wanda bought Legendary earlier this year. So the money doesn't have to go to Legendary for the movie to be profitable for those pulling the strings.
    Since Legendary is the company that spent the money to make WarCraft yes, actually, that money does have to go to Legendary for the movie to be profitable. Subsidiary companies don't make money just because their parent companies do, and being owned by a Chinese parent company certainly doesn't make Legendary (which is headquartered in Burbank, California) a Chinese company.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Since Legendary is the company that spent the money to make WarCraft yes, actually, that money does have to go to Legendary for the movie to be profitable. Subsidiary companies don't make money just because their parent companies do, and being owned by a Chinese parent company certainly doesn't make Legendary (which is headquartered in Burbank, California) a Chinese company.
    The point is that if the movie causes the parent company to make money, the parent company will be happy. Now, some additional money will have to be sent to Legendary to keep them operating, but this wouldn't be (I suspect) under the same limitations on money flowing out of China to foreign companies.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Checked my local theater schedule for Friday...Warcraft not on the schedule sadly. So it made it 4 weeks in theaters from launch in the US before getting pulled, at least at my local multiplex. I loved the movie and still hopeful for a sequel. But domestically even though those that saw it mostly liked it, there weren't very many of us.
    Sad reality actually.
    Theatres had to pull it because nobody is watching it.

Again, I will form my own opinion on the movie when I see it. And having saw the movie, I loved it. With two exceptions. Those high elves looked horrible, and WHY WEREN'T THE DWARVES SCOTTISH?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    Sad reality actually.
    Theatres had to pull it because nobody is watching it.
    One of my theaters pulled it before it even released.. the movie hasn't had the best availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    And what proof is in there that Warcraft had 100M marketing?
    It had 120m for P&A which was already linked in this thread. Angry Birds spent more than that.

Also I'm having the good laugh at the landslide of fucking posts since I left of people coming in saying the movie only needed to make 160 million. Honestly this should just be locked at this point. The movie flopped and we're just going around in circles with waves and waves of ignorant ass people who think marketing costs nothing and bless their heart those theaters showing movies for free.

Well they earned already $413M

With DVD sales and shit they will easly make an other 100-150m
    Dont forget that people who actually played the game do like the movie and even come back to play the game thats also extra revenue

A sequal will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post
    The studio has not made $413M. Very far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post

With DVD sales and shit they will easly make an other 100-150m
    Dont forget that people who actually played the game do like the movie and even come back to play the game thats also extra revenue

A sequal will be made.
    No way they will make that much for dvd/blu ray. Even if they did there are production shipping and store costs. The best they can hope for is to break even and they're not going to make a sequel to a movie that not only didn't make money but was a critical bomb and was an embarrassment domestically. The Chinese numbers are even suspect with allegations of fraud. Sold out theaters in flooded towns lol. Don't get your hopes up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Legend of Tarzan (with a budget of 180 million) supposedly requires a box office of 400 million in order to break even. I don't believe that Warcraft spent more on marketing than Tarzan....

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    The Legend of Tarzan (with a budget of 180 million) supposedly requires a box office of 400 million in order to break even. I don't believe that Warcraft spent more on marketing than Tarzan....
    It doesn't matter what you believe. They spent 120m on P&A there is a link to the source in this thread. Those dubstep trailers don't pay for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    It doesn't matter what you believe. They spent 120m on P&A there is a link to the source in this thread. Those dubstep trailers don't pay for themselves.
    Those dubstepping wub wub trailers are a fucking abomination to the world of movie trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The point is that if the movie causes the parent company to make money, the parent company will be happy. Now, some additional money will have to be sent to Legendary to keep them operating, but this wouldn't be (I suspect) under the same limitations on money flowing out of China to foreign companies.
    The thing is this: the only bonus to the parent company is the extra cut of revenue their theater chain passes on to their movie company. If say another movie had been showing in Wanda's theaters that wasn't made by Legendary they would have made their usual theater money whether Warcraft had been made or not (assuming the theater company is well run and picks good movies to show). In any case, I cannot image why anything but the money that returned to Wanda for the making of the movie would be considered as incentive to make a sequel. Their theaters will remain open with or without one so the only consideration for any sane company would be how much return they get on their investment in making a movie, unless they somehow think their theaters won't operate unless Legendary provides all the content, which is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Those dubstepping wub wub trailers are a fucking abomination to the world of movie trailers.
    I agree there, prob one of the reasons why it tanked in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    I agree there, prob one of the reasons why it tanked in the US
    Not necessarily. It's entirely possible Legendary knew ahead of time their cash cow for this film was in China so they focused very little on the US marketing. The film has performed in the US about where the studio had forecast ($26M first weekend followed by 70-80% drop offs in the following weeks). That's not to say better marketing may have helped the film perform but more that they had seen the writing on the wall for the film's US performance so they just kind of phoned it in here to focus their efforts in a market where the film had a higher likelihood of success.

I'll bet 300k gold right now there will be another Warcraft movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Gotta set some kind of time limits for it to be greenlit or not. Otherwise you could say, "It could still happen."
    Very true. If a sequel is greenlit then remains in development hell like Pacific Rim's then I don't think it's quite the same as "getting a sequel."