View Poll Results: Would you help a friend fight off a grizzly or would you run off to get help?

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

22 24.72%
  • Maybe

15 16.85%
  • No

19 21.35%
  • Yes

33 37.08%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how I'd react, but hopefully I'd run and get help. I'm not fighting off a grizzly unless I have some kind of weapon with me.

Depends if they're as cool as Brienne of 'Motherfucking' Tarth

Then yeah, I'll do a Jamie Lannister and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Yep my post goes for you too then.
    And his goes for you. You are saying that bears can't be scared off because they're big and strong. Too bad that size doesn't determine bravery. Hence why large animals can be scared of their damn shadows or a snake.

You don't fight off bears. You stand tall and make them want to not fight you. Numbers helps that.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Get help, definitely. There is no way two humans without firearms can beat an adult Grizzly!
    Beat? no,
    make a difference? potentially,

Like all animals, everything has a weak point and for the bulk of animals, eyes. Personally if I saw my friend being mauled, I'd be picking up the first branch to hand and trying to ram it into the socket (Or maybe Id run away like a little bitch, no one knows how they would react). It would either severly piss it off and make it kill both of you, or it might be enough to make it back off and think twice,

11 dead from bears in over 100 years? literally a non issue, Americans kill more each day with firearms, or die from old age and other issues, or probably die from drug related issues etc, i don't have facts but you could probably find a list where more people die from X in a day than bears have killed in 100 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    Depends if they're as cool as Brienne of 'Motherfucking' Tarth

Then yeah, I'll do a Jamie Lannister and help.
    tell the truth, you just want a golden hand instead to slap people with.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Afaik that is a myth, bears maul their prey and bury them because rot makes it more tender.. I see no reason why playing dead would work.
    It depends on the bear. You have a chance playing dead with a grizzly bear but try that with a black bear and you're fucked.

If the first claw / bite isn't fatal, the next few certainly will be.
    Leaving a person is writing them off for dead. You aren't getting help.
    Helping them yourself.... is tough, almost impossible... and places you at great risk. It's also the only chance your friend has.

This is a no win scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I was reading this article and I thought, "why didn't his friend help? Together they might've scared it off." I guess it's too easy to judge from the comfort of your easy chair.

http://www.adn.com/nation-world/2016...national-park/

Treat died Wednesday afternoon after being attacked by a grizzly bear just south of Glacier National Park. Though he had maintained his athleticism — he was riding his mountain bike, after all — Treat, who was just 38 years old and a law enforcement officer with the U.S. Forest Service, couldn't escape his fate.

But his companion did. Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry told the Associated Press that Treat and another man had been biking near Halfmoon Lakes when they came across the bear, surprising it. The other man escaped unscathed and sought help while the bear knocked Treat off his bike.

Help arrived too late, and Treat was declared dead on the scene. The bear has not been found, though authorities are searching for it, and campers were briefed on the incident.

Treat's death marks the seventh grizzly fatality since 2010 in the Northern Rockies, though the decade's previous incidents have all occurred within the greater Yellowstone area. In fact, Treat is only the 11th person to have died from a bear attack in Glacier National Park since its creation in 1910. Park officials said that, roughly once or twice a year, visitors have non-fatal encounters with the bears, but according to the AP, the last death from an attack happened in 1998, when three bears killed a park vendor employee.

The numbers seem to suggest that bear attacks are on the rise, and most scientists agree that the tension between man and bear will continue to grow. A Casper Star-Tribune story from September 2014 noted that the number of bear attacks in Wyoming that had been reported so far in 2014 was roughly equal to the average number of reported incidents in a year. With regard to black bears, one study found that 86 percent of all fatal recorded black bear attacks between 1900 and 2009 happened after 1960.

The explanation is simple: "We have more people, we have more bears, and we have more people living in bear habitat," John Beechem, a research biologist who studies interactions between bears and humans, told National Geographic in 2010.
    The only thing that I would make sure I do for my friend is make sure that I am the one that runs faster. Then again if I was in Grizzly country with anything less than a 300 Weatherby Magnum the Bear would have some challenge catching me as it would be much too busy slipping in the shit. As I shit my pants and then climbed the smallest three, that was just large enough for the bear to not knock down.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    And his goes for you. You are saying that bears can't be scared off because they're big and strong. Too bad that size doesn't determine bravery. Hence why large animals can be scared of their damn shadows or a snake.

You don't fight off bears. You stand tall and make them want to not fight you. Numbers helps that.
    First post with sense in this thread.

This is actually correct. They had bikes they could have looked pretty big holing the bikes over their heads.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post

standing tall kind of loses it's effect after the bear has the first of you rolled into a tidy little ball.

Unless I was packing something that would either incapacitate the bear or drive it off, I would honor my friends noble sacrifice and gtfo. Bears are big angry wrecking eating machines you wont deter it unarmed, no point in giving the bear two free meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

7+ Year Old Account
    I live in the United States, in a State where my God given Right to self defense is covered in out Constitution, under the Second Amendment.

I live in Wisconsin, we have bear country here. I'm usually armed anywhere I go regardless, due to two legged predators.

I carry a 10MM

I'd shoot it.

All I have to say is there are two things that would thankfully keep me from every having to make such a choice.

1) Lack of any idiot friends who want to peddle ass through Grizzly Bear country.
    2) My lack of any desire to attend such activities with any friends that don't pass the idiot check in 1.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    standing tall kind of loses it's effect after the bear has the first of you rolled into a tidy little ball.
    Bears don't typically charge straight in to attack. They almost always watch, size up, and try to threaten to get their foes to leave without fight. They are very curious creatures, they aren't going to run out of the woods and tackle you at first sight.

- - - Updated - - -

All I have to say is there are two things that would thankfully keep me from every having to make such a choice.

1) Lack of any friends.
    2) My lack of any desire to go outside
    What makes them idiots? That they enjoy a sporting activity outside where there happen to be animals? I've had bear encounters 2 miles outside of a town on a small trail, guess I better not go there anymore! Let's live in fear of animals that are essentially never going to bother us.

Also: I fixed your post for you. <3

There is no "fighting off" a grizzly bear. Black bears, sure, you can stand a chance. Grizzly? Nope, you'll both be dead.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'd help them fight it off on the assumption, that like any sane person going out into wilderness where bear attacks are a legitimate possibility, we have some kind of high-power sidearm chosen specifically for large predators in mind, like a 10mm or .454 or, screw it, S&W 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    There is no "fighting off" a grizzly bear. Black bears, sure, you can stand a chance. Grizzly? Nope, you'll both be dead.
    Yeah. These same arm chair quarterbacks would answer a thread about a Great White Shark by "well did you try punching it in the nose to dissuade it from biting you the second time?".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I'd help them fight it off on the assumption, that like any sane person going out into wilderness where bear attacks are a legitimate possibility, we have some kind of high-power sidearm chosen specifically for large predators in mind, like a 10mm or .454 or, screw it, S&W 500.
    oh no. it is completely paranoid to be prepared for a predatory animal attack in known predatory attack country...............

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd pull a Shane and shoot him in the kneecap so there's slower prey than me.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2016-06-30 at 08:38 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    First post with sense in this thread.

This is actually correct. They had bikes they could have looked pretty big holing the bikes over their heads.
    If the grizzly has attacked your friend already, then you can't scare it: it is in the aggressive mode already. The only thing you can hope to achieve is to attract grizzly's attention to yourself, so he will give up on your friend temporarily and go for you first - and you both will be dead. Scaring can only work before the engagement, and even then it is extremely risky with bears, and survival experts typically recommend to, instead, very slowly back away, so the bear loses interest.

So the only chance you have at saving your friend is to quickly kill the grizzly. For which you would need something like a chaingun, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Yeah. These same arm chair quarterbacks would answer a thread about a Great White Shark by "well did you try punching it in the nose to dissuade it from biting you the second time?".
    Bro, lightning isn't even that bad, I'd just jump out of the way.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8