Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Much more complicated than the 3-4 button rotations you get in WoW. It's a snoozefest at best.
    In my experience, the "complicated" rotations don't necessarily come from the rotation itself, it's trying to keep up the rotation to maximize damage output while adhering to mechanics. WoW mechanics do the same thing sometimes, but in FFXIV it's very common for mechanics to be heavy for 5-10 seconds at a time, in which time your procs or combo buff could fall off and throw off your rotation.

It's the same in WoW as it is in FFXIV in this respect...knowing the battles and prioritizing cooldowns and knowing when to let loose and when to hold your damage a tad is what separates a "good" player from a "great" player.

Bringing post back from the dead real quick.

I remember reading on the lodestone somewhere from an actual SQEX Rep that the 5 million active players specifically included anyone who purchased the game and at least one month of airtime.

If you downloaded the trial you were not included in that value.
    If you purchased the game, and used your free 30 days you were not included in that value.

The poster directly addressed the above statements in their post. What the number represents (as a few have stated) is the # of players who paid to play the game at one point in time. It is not current subscriptions, nor is it created accounts. The numbers for those categories would be lower and significantly higher respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Bringing post back from the dead real quick.

I remember reading on the lodestone somewhere from an actual SQEX Rep that the 5 million active players specifically included anyone who purchased the game and at least one month of airtime.

If you downloaded the trial you were not included in that value.
    If you purchased the game, and used your free 30 days you were not included in that value.

The poster directly addressed the above statements in their post. What the number represents (as a few have stated) is the # of players who paid to play the game at one point in time. It is not current subscriptions, nor is it created accounts. The numbers for those categories would be lower and significantly higher respectively.
    I remember reading on the lodestone from a rep that they only have 10 active accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    I remember reading on the lodestone from a rep that they only have 10 active accounts.
    Sick post kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post

Ultimately, it proves something else.
    No, it doesn't prove anything because FF14 has a captive MMO audience due to Japan's protectionist online gaming policies.
    If I could control what games people were able to play, I could even make them play Runescape.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    No, it doesn't prove anything because FF14 has a captive MMO audience due to Japan's protectionist online gaming policies.
    If I could control what games people were able to play, I could even make them play Runescape.
    ... Eh? The Japanese are forced to play Final Fantasy XIV?

Sick post kid.
    My word against yours. We're both pulling poo out our bums.

You seem to be confusing Japan with China kiddo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that's registered accounts, not active subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    My word against yours. We're both pulling poo out our bums.
    http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/...ed_09.jpg.html

Except I'm not. Not only are you not contributing to the discussion meaningfully (note: not at all), you're being a twat for no other reason other than to be a twat.

My original post still stands.

I mean im going to go out on a limb here and say that I know more people who play wow than even know what final fantasy is lol. It might be popular over seas but ive never met anyone in real life myself thats even come close to touching it. I personally dont think its a good game either, but everyone likes something different.

Except I'm not. Not only are you not contributing to the discussion meaningfully (note: not at all), you're being a twat for no other reason other than to be a twat.

Nowhere in that post does it state what a subscriber is. You said specifically that they stated people that bought the game and played for a month were not counted.

Subscriber only just means no trial accounts where used.

A person who buys the game and gets their free month is counted as a subscriber because 1) they just paid their first month sub by purchasing the game which in most cases is double the amount or more of the sub and 2) you have to put in a valid payment option for renewal even though you can cancel before doing so.

You're making a wild and baseless assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolwhatadumbthread View Post
    I mean im going to go out on a limb here and say that I know more people who play wow than even know what final fantasy is lol. It might be popular over seas but ive never met anyone in real life myself thats even come close to touching it. I personally dont think its a good game either, but everyone likes something different.
    And I know many people who left WoW fir it
    All just depends who you hangout with

Uhm nobody is forcing them to play FF14.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhatadumbthread View Post
    It's popular here to due to it's ps1/ps2 era of games that sold well. It's main popularity is in Japan but it has seen it's share of popularity over here.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-07-01 at 10:53 AM.

Deleted
    Sorry if its been posted but im not reading through 10 pages.

the 5million subs thing FF14 put out is accounts purchased, buy an account play a week quit never to play again, you are still counted as one of the 5million.

As for actual players, theres an unofficial census that a JP player puts out every so often that pulls data off the lodestone, in FF14 3.1 patch the esitmated subs was around 770k, the more recent one that number had dropped by around 100k the data only counts characters over lvl 20 to avoid trial accounts and checks for any activity in the timeframe to check if active.

Its not official but its unlikey FF14 has over 1milllion active players especially after completely butchering the raid scene with Alexander Gordias, and while Midas was a better raid they still had to drastically nerf the 2nd fight as it was waaaay harder than the 3rd which was again causing statics and raid groups to quit.

So I'd say no its definately not the top atm, Heavensward feels a bit like WoD atm and I the reason I quit recently its just a shitty expansion, only WoW's raids are good and PvP is "decent" FF14 raids this expansion are a disaster and their big esport PvP push has died before it even started.

Quote Originally Posted by deadfusion View Post
    Sorry if its been posted but im not reading through 10 pages.

the 5million subs thing FF14 put out is accounts purchased, buy an account play a week quit never to play again, you are still counted as one of the 5million.

As for actual players, theres an unofficial census that a JP player puts out every so often that pulls data off the lodestone, in FF14 3.1 patch the esitmated subs was around 770k, the more recent one that number had dropped by around 100k the data only counts characters over lvl 20 to avoid trial accounts and checks for any activity in the timeframe to check if active.

Its not official but its unlikey FF14 has over 1milllion active players especially after completely butchering the raid scene with Alexander Gordias, and while Midas was a better raid they still had to drastically nerf the 2nd fight as it was waaaay harder than the 3rd which was again causing statics and raid groups to quit.

So I'd say no its definately not the top atm, Heavensward feels a bit like WoD atm and I the reason I quit recently its just a shitty expansion, only WoW's raids are good and PvP is "decent" FF14 raids this expansion are a disaster and their big esport PvP push has died before it even started.
    It really was overtuned though a little. A3 was amazing but the rest of Gordias was crap because it was about how big dick your DPS is rather than tactics. Yes there were strategies in A4S but they were still built around a dps check. Midas and Weeping City are 2 of the best raids they have done so far. Also you gotta remember FF14's early approach is more is less. Start of with little and release their content quickly over 3 month periods. On the note of PvP can't say I ever read anywhere or saw on the live letters that they intended to bring their PvP to the esports scene.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-07-01 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It really was overtuned though a little. A3 was amazing but the rest of Gordias was crap because it was about how big dick your DPS is rather than tactics. Yes there were strategies in A4S but they were still built around a dps check. Midas and Weeping City are 2 of the best raids they have done so far. Also you gotta remember FF14's early approach is more is less. Start of with little and release their content quickly over 3 month periods. On the note of PvP can't say I ever read anywhere or saw on the live letters that they intended to bring their PvP to the esports scene.
    The 1st few live letters after Feasts annoucement they said they wanted to push it as the competative esport mode, I think they ment enclosed within the game not at major tournaments or something translation errors maybe but it was definately mentioned The Feast and esport.

I still rate Midas far below FCoB and ScoB personally, and Weeping City... Ozmas brilliant but other bosses I cant even recall aside the 1st once since its pretty much Beth'tilac almost mechanic for mechanic (I quit a week after 3.3 launched since the 2 dungeons being as god awful as they are was kinda the last straw along with next relic line just being grind more fucking esoterics cos that didnt get boring back in ARR)

HW was supposed to be them branching out and making the game their own but so far it feels more like a big ARR patch not an expansion they have done nothing to really push the game, they just followed same pattern ARR followed (that was getting tedious back then) but with 1 less dungeon per patch and alot of reused stuff and more excuses as to why they cant do xyz.

I just hope in 4.0 they add something major because I did enjoy the game alot and it does have alot of potential but they do seem to be aiming for "My First MMO" rather than "The Next Big Thing" for most of the content and you cant really keep my 1st mmo model going in a world where MMO's are pretty much heading into the end of the genres lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by deadfusion View Post
    The 1st few live letters after Feasts annoucement they said they wanted to push it as the competative esport mode, I think they ment enclosed within the game not at major tournaments or something translation errors maybe but it was definately mentioned The Feast and esport.

I still rate Midas far below FCoB and ScoB personally, and Weeping City... Ozmas brilliant but other bosses I cant even recall aside the 1st once since its pretty much Beth'tilac almost mechanic for mechanic (I quit a week after 3.3 launched since the 2 dungeons being as god awful as they are was kinda the last straw along with next relic line just being grind more fucking esoterics cos that didnt get boring back in ARR)

HW was supposed to be them branching out and making the game their own but so far it feels more like a big ARR patch not an expansion they have done nothing to really push the game, they just followed same pattern ARR followed (that was getting tedious back then) but with 1 less dungeon per patch and alot of reused stuff and more excuses as to why they cant do xyz.

I just hope in 4.0 they add something major because I did enjoy the game alot and it does have alot of potential but they do seem to be aiming for "My First MMO" rather than "The Next Big Thing" for most of the content and you cant really keep my 1st mmo model going in a world where MMO's are pretty much heading into the end of the genres lifespan.
    Never really noticed it personally. I'll have to go back and watch the 3.2 live letters. Midas savage is supposed to be on par with FCoB and from what I've heard people saying it requires effort. Quite liked Hullbreaker HM personally and as for the 2 dungeons they chose to sacrifice one to develop different content such as Diadem which really needs working on because I loathe it atm. The relic grind honestly just do 600 eso a day I'm at 120 it really flies if you just don't notice it. I mean patch has been out not even a month and I'm halfway there doing it casually. Although I do understand grinding Eso is a pita. I remember doing it for my 210 relic god it was awful. Although tbf I did grind other mats to try and reduce the Eso and Poetic lump. Personal opinion here but if they are gonna try and keep poetics relevant make another source such as a 50 raid roulette for Crystal Tower.

Don't think there's any real info on actual number of active players across different games, but at least when it comes to estimated earnings (SuperData), WoW has been surpassed in 2015 by Dungeon Fighter Online (don't really know much about the game, but it's classified as action MMORPG), not FF.

In fact, at least with SuperData's data, Lineage I and Maplestory are closer to WoW in earnings than FF, which doesn't appear to be anywhere close to WoW at all.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-07-01 at 11:55 AM.