Poll: Postpone 2016 Olympics?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's also likely been in the two carrier species of mosquito for longer than human cases of Zika were recorded, which exist as far north as US and Europe and as far south as Australia. Of course it's most likely the Americas variants of these mosquitoes likely got their carrier status due to drinking infected humans, I don't recall it actually originating in the Apes of the Americas so the Brazillian outbreak is unlikely to have begun from the mosquito but still possible. Of course when the disease can also be given via a blood transfusion on top of two very easily transmissible methods if caution is not taken, making tracking a patient zero even more murky. Though as the prolific spread did not occur during 2013's initial hop nor 2014's event I find it unlikely the World Cup is directly responsible for the outbreak in April 2015. Though Brazil's unstable nature since then (and due to it's cost among other things) has certainly made it possible for a disease to spread due to the disruptions of public services that may have gotten to it under control before it became a problem. But that's just a hypothetical as Zika even half a century later didn't come up much till the outbreak so even with Brazil at it's pre unrest level of services might still have overlooked it and misidentified symptoms for other diseases.
    But that's neither here nor there, the Americas has Zika now, so how best to deal with it till a vaccine is developed? Yes postponing the Olympics is likely a 100% successful method of preventing region hoping to continue. Though its unlikely to stop the spread north and further south due to the wide range the mosquitoes cover, as it wouldn't take a few infected people to cross into the US to help give their region's mosquitoes (if they don't have it already) the disease when they feed on that person. But it would likely prevent alot of European risk, till the US gets cases as there is alot of European travel to the US for business and vice versa. Assuming of course no vaccine can be discovered and the infection rate continues increasing it's pace. Most nations above the snow line would only need to screen blood and avoid unprotected sex with foreigners (unlikely) as they lack the mosquitoes that become the major carrier for spreading beyond person to person contact.
    Nope I haven't thought much about this, but then I don't think much about the next big epidemic sweeping the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Uh.

What several other factors? Scary brown people?
    The venues aren't ready, the cities aren't secure, the Zika virus and the ongoing political and economic crisis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    The venues aren't ready, the cities aren't secure, the Zika virus and the ongoing political and economic crisis.
    Conditions in the Southern US are ripe for the mosquitoes that spread Zika. It's going to get interesting, that's for sure.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Didn't an entire row team get violently ill practising in one of the Olympic venues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Uh.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/03/sp...sis/index.html

Deleted
    A lot to worry about in Brazil during the Olympics. Zika virus and civil unrest in addition to an already pretty unsafe country for tourists.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are gonna be so many murders, rapes, robberies when the game starts, Rio is pretty much a shithole, if you go on LiveLeak prob 50% of the videos there are murders or thefts done in Rio.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Needs to be scrapped.

The WHO would be having a nightmare that people from every part of the world could be exposed to zika and then go back home and spread it there.

People will die

It's preposterous that this is still going ahead. An epidemic is occurring and the waters are filled with shit and garbage. The WHO have even told people to avoid trying for a baby for 8 weeks after attending.

WHY hasn't it been called off already? Is humanity really this stupid?...ok, dumb question...

I thought for sure that they would move venues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say cancel it but not because of Zika, but because the Olympic Committee is made up of greedy assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just dawned on me that I played this game before. Its called Plague Inc.

SPOILERS BELOW!

Just move to Greenland or Madagascar and you'll be fine.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The funny part of this, they wont cancel it.
    The news story will become/be about the Zika virus,Crimes committed against visitors,civil unrest etc.
    Then once the Olympics are over, the spread of the Zika virus and ...total body count will be the only thing anyone talks about, not about the games,medals etc. just the bad.

It seems Brazil wants the world to see it get a "black eye" ...maybe it is a good thing though, Brazil needs fixing/Help .

Maybe this will start to FIX the governing body of the Olympics as well once a few dozen people die in or around the Olympic event areas,a few hundred people get Zika...etc. ...Yeah, right.

Uh.

Zeeka virus

10+ Year Old Account
    If violence were such an issue, you'd think they'd just drop MPs on every street corner and call it a day. I've very little "worry" that a country like Brazil could put on police state-airs long enough to quell any major problems in and around the olypmic areas if need be, especially considering the fact that it wasn't a problem during the World Cup.

The spread of the virus is the only actual issue.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Too late now. River is putrid, diseases are around, and there's the crime, but the decision is already made - backtracking now would make people lose money.

And that is the straw that would break the camel's back.
    Good. Let it break, Brazil needs it.
    Working on my next ban.

At first when I saw this thread, I thought it was a over exaggerated joke... But now I'm leaning towards cancel. The whole thing seems to be shaping up to be a disaster.

Uh.

comone on Belize, lets not be obtuse.

rio was a horrible idea from the beginning

horrible crime, out of control pollution, crumbling infrastructure, Zika virus.....the list goes on and on.

It would be about as bad to have it in Detroit.