Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The purpose of competitive video games is to compete against other players with the intent of beating them at said game. If you want to have fun failing at video games you should probably try out mario or something similar where your "fun" doesn't ruin other people's experience.
    Someone who plays NOTHING but Genji, and is actively participating in the game? Trying to move the payload, or whatever it is the map requires? That's competing against other players and trying to win. Someone who plays nothing but Tracer, or Hanzo, or Widowmaker? Same thing. Someone who only plays tanks, or only plays offense? Same thing. As long as they're working towards the map objectives, they are participating and attempting to win, so they are doing PRECISELY what the game requires of them. Don't like it? Maybe YOU should play Mario, that way you never have to cry about losing, and you can be lord of the game all you want without having to worry about 5 other players not realizing you're General fucking Patton and disobeying your orders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    As I said you seem lovely.. Just another selfish person who think he matters more than 5 others.. I've played video games for 25 years, I understand when buying a TEAM game I will need to play as part of a team.
    If the guy is in game, participating in the match, and attempting to do whatever the map's objective is, he IS playing as "part of a team". Playing as "part of a team" does NOT mean "doing whatever some dick called Draex wants me to do".

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Someone who plays NOTHING but Genji, and is actively participating in the game? Trying to move the payload, or whatever it is the map requires? That's competing against other players and trying to win. Someone who plays nothing but Tracer, or Hanzo, or Widowmaker? Same thing. Someone who only plays tanks, or only plays offense? Same thing. As long as they're working towards the map objectives, they are participating and attempting to win, so they are doing PRECISELY what the game requires of them. Don't like it? Maybe YOU should play Mario, that way you never have to cry about losing, and you can be lord of the game all you want without having to worry about 5 other players not realizing you're General fucking Patton and disobeying your orders.
    No, you don't get a trophy for participation.

I don't tell other people what class to play because speaking to pugs is the only sure way to get a butthurt teammate from someone who should probably be in the special crafts class in their local community center rather than playing competitive games with normal people. Rather I switch my own and do the best I can to overcome the handicap you place your team under - just like the other people who got you every win on your account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    No, you don't get a trophy for participation.

I don't tell other people what class to play because speaking to pugs is the only sure way to get a butthurt teammate from someone who should probably be in the special crafts class in their local community center rather than playing competitive games with normal people. Rather I switch my own and do the best I can to overcome the handicap you place your team under - just like the other people who got you every win on your account.
    Beating the game means completing the objective. I have no issue with anything anyone plays any more, because by now I think I've seen just about every Hero used well 'out of context' and won games with them, both with and against me; best example being a flanking Bastion on Attack last night absolutely took us to pieces - I'd honestly never seen that before. My bigger concern is always going to be what the players are actually doing.

Is the tank actually trying to advance on to the objective?
    Are the DPS just standing off at range, or are they advancing the objective?
    Are other players in the team actually working to contest the objective/payload?
    Is the healer interested in healing the group, or just pocket healing their friend?

Those are basically my four main concerns. And they're issues I can to an extent fix myself, and often when I do start to try and my team see it, it offers the focal point to try to reverse a losing position. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But even if it just mitigates a stomp, it's better than quitting or bitching how everyone else is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    . . .
    And they're issues I can to an extent fix myself, and often when I do start to try and my team see it, it offers the focal point to try to reverse a losing position. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But even if it just mitigates a stomp, it's better than quitting or bitching how everyone else is the problem.
    Exactly, but one trick ponies aren't doing that. I think the categorization system is complete bollocks, and those labels should be removed from the matchmaking screen because it only serves to promote toxicity - in fact, i've said as much on these forums before.

People who refuse to change champions aren't a problem because of the champions they're using, they're a problem because they don't adapt to the situation they're in thus handicapping their team. To your last point I agree, there is no point in arguing or quitting because of such things, but it shouldn't be encouraged or defended, either.

I don't expect anyone to be good at every champion in the roster, but if someone can't be bothered to learn at least 3 different roles and use them on demand that person is bad and they should feel bad :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    You don't get to determine how other people play the game they paid for.

If you're truly that upset about how others play, get five other friends that you know will communicate and play that way.
    Anything else puts you at the mercy of someone who has every right to play the third attacking Torb as you do any other class.
    What happens when their enjoyment impedes my enjoyment? Do I not matter as much as they? Or am I supposed to subserviently let everyone walk on me like a doormat?

This is the problem with Overwatch. The problem with matchmaking teamplay games in general. Too many conflicting personality and gameplay styles randomly tossed together and tasked with coordinated team effort.

Though my solution? Just don't play them. And if it's something that's only fun for you with friends then do it with friends. If not, see previous. That's simply how it is. You can love a game, how it plays, how fun it is. But when the game is designed intentionally to allow other people to shit on your fun, then easiest solution is to find a game that fits the above criteria and doesn't let other people shit on your fun.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    What happens when their enjoyment impedes my enjoyment? Do I not matter as much as they? Or am I supposed to subserviently let everyone walk on me like a doormat?

This is the problem with Overwatch. The problem with matchmaking teamplay games in general. Too many conflicting personality and gameplay styles randomly tossed together and tasked with coordinated team effort.

Though my solution? Just don't play them. And if it's something that's only fun for you with friends then do it with friends. If not, see previous. That's simply how it is. You can love a game, how it plays, how fun it is. But when the game is designed intentionally to allow other people to shit on your fun, then easiest solution is to find a game that fits the above criteria and doesn't let other people shit on your fun.
    It has nothing to do with mattering.
    You and this hypothetical person have a choice: play how you want, regardless of others, or try and play the objectives.
    If you want to play the objective, and they don't, you lose. You have no way of forcing them to play in a fashion they don't want to.
    If you want to have control over how people play, then you're exactly correct in needing to find a group where you can communicate/remove someone from the group who doesn't play to your standards.

Please note I'm using the "Royal" you and not speaking about you specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I think if Blizzard implement Deathmatch mode we would have less of those none-team players.

So, screw the other 5 people who paid just as much, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiven View Post
    I think if Blizzard implement Deathmatch mode we would have less of those none-team players.
    Do you even teamfortress bro? You want deathmatch? There are tons of games out there that have it, pick one and keep your peanut butter out of my beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    So, screw the other 5 people who paid just as much, right?
    Yes.
    You don't have a choice.

7+ Year Old Account

If you're truly that upset about how others play, get five other friends that you know will communicate and play that way.
    Anything else puts you at the mercy of someone who has every right to play the third attacking Torb as you do any other class.
    well said, even though i do myself get upset with players who are selfish. I can understand your reasoning and it is sound in my eyes.
    Gamer at Heart, Always willing to level up my game-play experience. Desire for gaining advantage in video games tier lists, are those that provide me a guide. not just a direction, but a path i can set for myself to grow.

Deleted
    I have more problems with people chosing the 3rd or 4th Soldier 76 because they are upset that the team did choose their heroes poorly, than I have with people picking the 3rd or 4th Soldier 76 because that's their best hero.

Yesterday, I had a game in competitive. I was the only healer so I didn't want to switch and we had 2 Soldiers. Another dude got wrecked by their tracer (so did I) but instead of switching to Mccree, he switched to another soldier and when we asked him why, he said "No ones going to bother to get rid of that tracer, so I can't be bothered either". So instead of switching to Mccree, he chose another hero that doesn't do well against their setup out of spite (they also had a Genji and for some reason, he thought Soldier does a lot better against Genji than Mccree too)... Wth man.

That was on 63 rating btw. You can find scum on every level... maybe even more so on higher ratings.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-03 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I have more problems with people chosing the 3rd or 4th Soldier 76 because they are upset that the team did a choose their heroes poorly, than I have with people picking the 3rd or 4th Soldier 76 because that's their best hero.

Yesterday, I had a game in competitive. I was the only healer so I didn't want to switch and we had 2 Soldiers. Another dude got wrecked by their tracer (so did I) but instead of switching to Mccree, he switched to another soldier and when we asked him why, he said "No ones going to bother to get rid of that tracer, so I can't be bothered either". So instead of switching to Mccree, he chose another hero that doesn't do well against their setup out of spite (they also had a Genji and for some reason, he thought Soldier does a lot better against Genji than Mccree too)... Wth man.

That was on 63 rating btw. You can find scum on every level... maybe even more so on higher ratings.
    Honestly their is no fix for this, I keep losing matches with the sort of people that pick 2 junkrats (was 3 at start) symmetry at defending base.

Only fix to this may be to stop pugging (which is what I do) because when half of your team does things for shit and giggles it's just that much harder to well yourself so rating based on personal play is also pointless.

Deleted
    Best advice I will give you and anyone.

You see a good player in quick match or competitive?

You talk to them, add them as a friend and start playing with them, you generally find a good player every few games, and don't discriminate them based on their levels (I've seen far better players sub 100 than plus 200 levels).

Do this for a week and you should have a healthy friend list to pick from and potential new longtime gaming friends.

This goes for every game btw, being social and making friends with good players always helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by user12893 View Post
    Just because it's a team match, doesn't mean people have to work together. Most of the time people who complain about this, like yourself, are just shitters that have to rely on others in FPS shooters
    It being a team game kinda does mean players have to work together. I'm sick as shit with Genjis and Tracers who run off all over the fucking place when there are 4 enemy players on the objective, because shit, they won't go near them, they might get killed and hurt their K/D ratio when there might be an easy kill half a mile away that's having zero influence on the match.

I'm also sick of players like the OP who ask someone to go Healer, because there just is literally no point. If no one is willing to heal, you're not in a group that's going to stick together for the healer to be in any way effective.

I'll tell you one thing I've noticed so far in competitive.

If I'm the only one using a mic, it's going to be a miserable loss. 100% accuracy rate so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'll tell you one thing I've noticed so far in competitive.

If I'm the only one using a mic, it's going to be a miserable loss. 100% accuracy rate so far.
    In EU, there's a pretty solid chance no one is going to speak the same language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Best advice I will give you and anyone.

You see a good player in quick match or competitive?

You talk to them, add them as a friend and start playing with them, you generally find a good player every few games, and don't discriminate them based on their levels (I've seen far better players sub 100 than plus 200 levels).

Do this for a week and you should have a healthy friend list to pick from and potential new longtime gaming friends.

This goes for every game btw, being social and making friends with good players always helps.
    Definitely this.
    Our crew just picked up a great Rein (he plays other stuff great too, but Rein play is what got him noticed) and now we have another person we can use to fill the group with. Hell, I rarely play with anyone I haven't met this way anymore

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I don't care if a person plays a hero and doesn't contribute. I am okay with someone playing on their own. This game is designed for 5 people working together to win per the developer, but the picked 6 so if you have one person not pulling their weight the team can still win.

What I can't stand is when the last person locks in as Damage or Hanzo/Widowmaker and then spams that we have no healer. I go ... um, you were the last person to lock in if you really think we need a healer change heroes.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    In EU, there's a pretty solid chance no one is going to speak the same language.
    What do you mean? That people can't speak or simply won't speak english? Surely the majority should know english or?

I guess northern europeans tend to be a bit more quiet in general (at least in scandinavia). Something to work on I guess