7+ Year Old Account

Google Project Fi

Has anybody with a Nexus smartphone tried out Project Fi? It is a relatively new cell service that automatically connects you to the stronger signal from Sprint, T-Mobile, or US cellular. What makes it a bit different is that it also automatically connects to decent public Wifi spots as well as your home Wifi(after one-time key in) and allows you to call and text from Wifi as well as cell signal, whichever is stronger. It is $20 per month for unlimited calls/text and $10 per GB cell data and it refunds any unused data proportionally. Wifi usage never counts towards data.

My main interest is what you think about the service or model, though you could also comment on what aspect of the Nexus 5X/6P is good or bad.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-01 at 03:23 AM.

You sound like a marketer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    You sound like a marketer.
    Sorry, I might be switching service from ATT to Verizon or this, so I was wondering if it is a good deal and if anyone has tried it beyond a couple online reviews I've read.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-01 at 02:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, if that works like it says that's a helluva good price especially in my area. Not sure I like how few options for phones, but I'm sure that'll change down the line if this works.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Wow, if that works like it says that's a helluva good price especially in my area. Not sure I like how few options for phones, but I'm sure that'll change down the line if this works.
    Yeah, Iphone and Galaxy are the most popular right now? I think that is why the project is currently obscure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop. Dont do it yet. If you're gonna go with google you should at least do SOME research first.

Google is launching their very own phone and coupled with their line you'll be able to get what you're gonna get now, but at a huge discount.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yeah, Iphone and Galaxy are the most popular right now? I think that is why the project is currently obscure.
    Yea, this is honestly the first time I'm hearing about Fi at all. I enjoy my iPhone, so I'd have a hard time letting it go. But for the very basic plan of $20 for calls/text and just a 1gb data, that is half the price of setting up a single line through my current provider. Definitely going to need to keep an eye on this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Stop. Dont do it yet. If you're gonna go with google you should at least do SOME research first.

Google is launching their very own phone and coupled with their line you'll be able to get what you're gonna get now, but at a huge discount.
    I have done research on the hardware comparisons, their smartphones would be more than good enough for my usage. It's just the Project Fi is in a sort of open beta, they haven't said if they are going to extend it beyond their hardware.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-01 at 03:25 AM.

I have the original Nexus 6 (not 6P) on Project Fi. I've been on it since Sept. of last year. If you're not a data heavy user it's awesome. My average bill when I neglect to download my playlists on Spotify is $35 a month but it's usually $30 when I remember to download ahead of time. There are codes you can find on XDA that you punch in phone app (as though they were phone numbers) to lock the service to a certain carrier. I really do think it does a good job selecting whichever services is best in your area most of the time though so I leave it on automatic. T-Mobile and Sprint both have decent coverage in my city.

Admittedly I love most products and services Google puts out though.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have had it over a year. early beta in mid-southern Wi. It was good, now bordering Great.
    ( I don't think its beta anymore)
    Customer service has always been quick, pleasant and useful.

$20 base
    $10 per gig.
    $30 per month charge, unused data refunded.
    I've seen bills as low as$20 and as high as $44 (during finals)
    I average $25-$30 per month.

If you are around WiFi a sizable chunk of your day and in the service area get it.

Service on the low bands is something to watch, look at the Map. https://fi.google.com/coverage
    I'm on a Nexus 6. currently google is offering a Nexus5x for $199 if you sign up for Fi. (no contract)
    They do do payment plans on phones, I've never bothered.
    They run on T mobile, Sprint, and recently added Cellular one to their network, as well as the Wi-Fi hotpot thing.

I had an instance using an app during beta called Fi-Spy where it hopped on AT&T somehow for a bit. ((prob piggied as service was weak, I was in the boonies)

I'm overall very pleased, I'm putting my 14yr old on it when his contract with a carrier runs out in Nov.

Edit; It only works on Nexus6, NexusP and Nexus 5X (although some redittors reported getting it up on others, namely the old N5, but I wouldn't count on it)
    Last edited by Dsc; 2016-07-01 at 03:20 AM.

I have it with the 6p. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until the new Google phones are out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06...-nexus-phones/

Check out the reddit Project Fi subreddit too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/