Poll: Postpone 2016 Olympics?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Should never have been hosted in Brazil... but I look forward to the crime statistics committed to visitors during it, be it murder, muggings, etc... seeing how dirt there literally has more value than human life... nevermind the amount of people that lost their homes without compensation to develop the area - corruption at its finest.
    It's in BRAZIL?!? Shows how much I care, they should definitely cancel it or move it to a different country at the least.

I hope nobody shows up.
    Come forth coward and answer for your crimes!!

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Yes it is, it was neutral during the cold war just like Brazil. (that's where the term comes from, American and it's allies = first world, Russia and its allies = second world, neutral countries = third world).
    But even under that definition China is 2nd world.

If you want 3rd world countries that held the Olympics under that definition then Austria, Finland, Mexico, and Sweden. Switzerland also held them twice, but that was prior to the cold war.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I was very much on the side of cancelation because of Zika, but then found out that Zika more than likely won't be an issue because Winter in Rio. However, now I see that there is so much crime, poverty, and pollution that many athletes won't feel safe, that maybe it is time to consider alternative locations. It's obviously too late, but wtf was the International Olympic Committee thinking?
    Would love to see the study on this. This is BRAZIL. You thing mosquitos are really going to give a shit about winter in bloody Brazil!? How cold do you think it get down there in "winter"?!? My guess is, on the really cold days, they put on socks, and maybe slightly longer shorts..... Anybody who thinks that temperatures like that are going to do shit to the mosquito population are insane.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    I'm curious to hear how you define first, second and third world country.
    Er, it's actually in the post you quoted, first world countries are the USA and the countries allied with it during the cold war, second world countries are Russia and the countries allied with it during the cold war, third world countries are all the countries that were neutral during the cold war. Some people confuse third world countries with developing countries (I think taft did that) due to most of them looking like crap but this is incorrect and can lead to errors (I.E Ireland is a third world country but not a developing country).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Why change your post than?
    I haven't.

You tried to use it as a derogatory term that the country was incapable of handling the needs of the Olympics and now you are trying to hide it. Not my fault you can't post anything meaningful.
    No, I used it to point out that being a third would country doesn't mean Brazil is incapable of hosting an event (hence the China reference).

Also the "second world" was Russia, China, and their allies.
    You're actually correct there, good point, I had them confused with Japan lol, it's too early XD
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-07-01 at 09:59 AM.

Er, it's actually in the post you quoted, first world countries are the USA and the countries allied with it during the cold war, second world countries are Russia and the countries allied with it during the cold war, third world countries are all the countries that were neutral during the cold war. Some people confuse third world countries with developing countries (I think taft did that) due to most of them looking like crap but this is incorrect and can lead to errors (I.E Ireland is a third world country but not a developing country).

I haven't.

No, I used it to point out that being a third would country doesn't mean Brazil is incapable of hosting an event (hence the China reference).
    Don't lie, you know you changed the post, and once again China is a second world country m8. Cheque yo fax ay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World
    http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/10/150.html
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/second-world.asp

ETC
    Last edited by TheDestinatus; 2016-07-01 at 10:00 AM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't lie, you know you changed the post
    If I had changed it it would say edited at the bottom, also your quote of the post would be different to it, just saying :P

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Would love to see the study on this. This is BRAZIL. You thing mosquitos are really going to give a shit about winter in bloody Brazil!? How cold do you think it get down there in "winter"?!? My guess is, on the really cold days, they put on socks, and maybe slightly longer shorts..... Anybody who thinks that temperatures like that are going to do shit to the mosquito population are insane.
    Mosquitos tend to fuck off when it drops below 70(F) and that's just kind of how their life cycle works as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, China isn't a third world country, its the 3rd largest economy in the world, 2nd by country because apparently the EU counts as a country.
    Thats a very arguable statement. There are plenty of terrible people with lots of money.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I haven't.

You're actually correct there, good point, I had them confused with Japan lol, it's too early XD
    Well, I'm pretty sure when we talk about a third world country on this forum, we are talking from the economic development perspective, not from the country's political alignment from more than 25 years ago.

If I had changed it it would say edited at the bottom, also your quote of the post would be different to it, just saying :P
    Wrong, you can change it within a window of about 30 seconds and it doesn't leave a note. Swing and a miss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Thats a very arguable statement. There are plenty of terrible people with lots of money.
    By that comparison the USA is a 3rd world country because Bill Gates has more than someone that works at burger king?

Yes it should, or just give it to Japan already.

Actually no, i don't want it cancelled, it's going to be a glorious shitstorm.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    and once again China is a second world country m8. Cheque yo fax ay!
    I know I admitted the error in the post before yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong, you can change it within a window of about 30 seconds and it doesn't leave a note. Swing and a miss.
    Would a mod please review the log and tell this guy (and the more importantly the people reading his libel) that he's wrong. It's quite insulting to be randomly called a liar for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes it should, or just give it to Japan already.

Actually no, i don't want it cancelled, it's going to be a glorious shitstorm.
    Yeah, just like the WC has been a shitstorm...

- - - Updated - - -

Would a mod please review the log and tell this guy (and the more importantly the people reading his libel) that he's wrong. It's quite insulting to be randomly called a liar for no reason
    What he says is true actually. If you edit your post immediately after sending it off, there seems to be a grace period where you don't get the "edited" message afterwards. I find it super convenient, so people don't realise how often I fix spelling or grammar.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yeah, just like the WC has been a shitstorm...
    That's cute, but the WC and olympics aren't comparable.
    For starters the olympics is spread out all over the place in various stages and arenas, while the WC is contained to football stadiums.
    Not only that, but thing's have gotten much worse since then over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...warning-brazil

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What he says is true actually. If you edit your post immediately after sending it off, there seems to be a grace period where you don't get the "edited" message afterwards. I find it super convenient, so people don't realise how often I fix spelling or grammar.
    I wasn't disputing that, I was asking if a mod could review the log and verify the post hadn't been altered. (Which should have been apparent to him anyway as he replied four minutes after it was posted).

It's hard to make generalizations about China given the absurd levels of inequality, but overall I think it's safe to say the face they show the rest of the world doesn't come close to giving a true picture of just how poor and miserable the vast majority of people there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    That's cute, but the WC and olympics aren't comparable.
    For starters the olympics is spread out all over the place in various stages and arenas, while the WC is contained to football stadiums.
    Not only that, but thing's have gotten much worse since then over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...warning-brazil
    Yeah, they aren't comparable. The WC is much bigger.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    By that comparison the USA is a 3rd world country because Bill Gates has more than someone that works at burger king?
    China is where human rights goes to die.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

China is where human rights goes to die.
    Why? O_o

It's not that bad here.

At this point, no... the athletes (who are the only reason the Olympics exist) have far too much invested in them.

Having said that, there's no way I'm watching even a single second of these, and the IOC should be absolutely dismantled as a governing body.