Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    I am willing to bet their are a lot of people in the US who wanted to see it, but due to the stigma attached to WOW didn't bother; therefore, I suspect that it'll do pretty well in DVD/Blue-ray and Streaming sales. TBH, I'd rather see them continue the story via a TV series, where not only is it a lot cheaper, but they will have more time to develop the story and characters of Warcraft.
    That would be imho much better. Make a Warcraft TV series and not such messy movies. Dreaming about a GoT style / quality Warcraft series with two or three seasons seems to be incredibly naive but hey, it'll be better than any WC movie they could possibly release (I highly doubt we'll ever see a 2nd WC movie at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    The movie is a box office bomb and it was more than obvious. 45 million in the US is pathetic.

Without China the movie would have been a financial disaster and even with China a box office ~ 400-450 million is anything but a success.
    Why do you even care how many people watch it in th US? It's notl ike that money is worth more lol. It's the total revenue that is important, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It is because of opportunity costs.
    That's a lazy argument. You can't guarantee that they would've spent the same money on another project with a bigger ROI. Going by that everything anyone ever does is inherently a flop.

Come on, you can at least try to do better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    That's a lazy argument. You can't guarantee that they would've spent the same money on another project with a bigger ROI. Going by that everything anyone ever does is inherently a flop.

At present it has made a loss they could have stashed the money under their beds and had a better ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Why do you even care how many people watch it in th US? It's notl ike that money is worth more lol. It's the total revenue that is important, right?
    It is but it's quite relevant for a US production how much money they make in the domestic box office. And $45 million (maybe it will make $50-60 million when it's run is finished but I doubt it) is pathetic. There is absolutely no excuse for this poor domestic performance.

The overall revenue is maybe the most important factor, yes. And as I said, $400-450 million are okay, but nothing good or great for a movie like Warcraft that had a production budget of $160 million and a marketing and advertising budget of $100 million and more.

It is but it's quite relevant for a US production how much money they make in the domestic box office. And $45 million (maybe it will make $50-60 million when it's run is finished but I doubt it) is pathetic. There is absolutely no excuse for this poor domestic performance.

The overall revenue is maybe the most important factor, yes. And as I said, $400-450 million are okay, but nothing good or great for a movie like Warcraft that had a production budget of $160 million and a marketing and advertising budget of $100 million and more.
    So "because reasons" basically? Why would, for example, DICE care how many swedes bought their latest battlefield game if it does well abroad? No reason at all.
    Last edited by mittacc; 2016-07-01 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    At present it has made a loss they could have stashed the money under their beds and had a better ROI.
    Stashing the money under their beds would've made a loss as well with current inflation levels of 1%-1.1% year-on-year in the US with no potential to generate profits in the future and without generating economical value by employing several hundreds of people and advancing technology at Industrial Light & Magic, for example.

I didn't expect an intelligent train of thought from people on a video game messaging board with close 9000 posts in 6 years, so I can't be disappointed by your obtuse reply.

Stashing the money under their beds would've made a loss as well with current inflation levels of 1%-1.1% year-on-year in the US with no potential to generate profits in the future and without generating economical value by employing several hundreds of people and advancing technology at Industrial Light & Magic, for example.

I wouldn't expect an intelligent train of thought from people on a video game messaging board with close 9000 posts in 6 years.
    Buddy, if people aren't adjusting the invested dollars and box office for inflation, then those claiming a positive ROI for the movie are making exactly the same mistake.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Buddy, if people aren't adjusting the invested dollars and box office for inflation, then those claiming a positive ROI for the movie are making exactly the same mistake.
    Well done ignoring 75% of my point. You fit the bill even better, buddy.

Do explain to me how stashing the money in a sock has equal economical value as a movie that generated 400 million dollars in turnover.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-07-01 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    So "because reasons" basically? Why would, for example, DICE care how many swedes bought their latest battlefield game if it does well abroad? No reason at all.
    (Most) Games are not movies, right? And for sure not Hollywood blockbuster movies that want to make hundreds of millions. For movies it indeed matters how good or bad the domestic box office is. And the domestic box office for Warcraft is pathetic.

A US studio doesn't produce movies only to get international success.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2016-07-01 at 12:57 PM.

It doesn't work like that.

Yes, there's no guarantee that if they spent money elsewhere, they'd have turned a better profit. (Heck, if they flushed money down the toilet, they'd have lost them.)

But if the movie merely breaks even, it was a waste of time, a bad investment.

That's it.

I didn't expect an intelligent train of thought from people on a video game messaging board with close 9000 posts in 6 years, so I can't be disappointed by your obtuse reply.
    I'm sorry did I say that it would not have made a loss? I wrote better for someone who is apparently a cut above us plebs on a video game messaging board you don't appear to be too hot on this basic reading malarkey.

I am sorry if I upset you but there is no need to be so rude.

- - - Updated - - -

Do explain to me how stashing the money in a sock has equal economical value as a movie that generated 400 million dollars in turnover.
    Do you not see how stashing money anywhere is better than spending circa $250million on producing and marketing a movie and only making roughly $200million back?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Do you not see how stashing money anywhere is better than spending circa $250million on producing and marketing a movie and only making roughly $200million back?
    They were talking about breaking even though, before you came with the "stashing money under the bed" comment.

dont know what ppl talkin about here. in china only, the movie did 270mio+. with russia and germany, the movie already did profit. and this since a while. no clue what ppl talkin here.

ps: to me its a so great laughable fact, that stupid americans all look in their idiotic previews and what the "professionals" and "crtitics" say (most of them are stupid like hell), and make their own selffullfilling prophecy. while the rest of the world is just watching the movie to form their own oppinion. thats soooo cute idiotic american style. i love that

If the fraction of the money that goes back to the studio is < $160M (yes yes, taking minor inflation into account yadda yadda, and also taking into account value for Wanda who now owns Legendary) then having simply sat on the money makes them come out ahead.

Really, this is not hard to understand, your silly bluster notwithstanding.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    dont know what ppl talkin about here. in china only, the movie did 270mio+. with russia and germany, the movie already did profit. and this since a while. no clue what ppl talkin here.
    There's no profit. The costs are: $160 mil production + ~$100 mil (for now) marketing, and the money coming in are ~$400 mil *divided by a factor of 2 or so*, because of the middlemen. It's on every page.

(PS: I disagree completely with your other paragraph, but that's not important.)
    Last edited by rda; 2016-07-01 at 01:39 PM.

(Most) Games are not movies, right? And for sure not Hollywood blockbuster movies that want to make hundreds of millions. For movies it indeed matters how good or bad the domestic box office is. And the domestic box office for Warcraft is pathetic.

A US studio doesn't produce movies only to get international success.
    Why does the type of product matter? Are you serious?

edit: I could unserstand if you didn't want to sell military stuff to other nations but that's another story. This is just to make money and that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    They were talking about breaking even though, before you came with the "stashing money under the bed" comment.
    Making less money than they spent is not breaking even.

10+ Year Old Account

Not sure what rock you are living under, but the movie was / is a HUGE success. You can bet there will be sequels made. You can mark my words on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Not sure what rock you are living under, but the movie was / is a HUGE success. You can bet there will be sequels made. You can mark my words on that.
    How much profit did the movie bring?