Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Public service is government job paid by taxes to serve the public. Truck drivers work for private industry. Your point is moot and the firefighter bla bla bla do not account in at all to the argument you made outside of trying to create a loophole.

Are firefighters doing a public service paid by taxes? If so, then no, they should not get discounts.
    But why? What does being a public employee have to do with getting a discount for shopping somewhere?

Your corruption conspiracy is rather silly and frankly a little sad.

Pretty smart idea to be honest. And a small price to pay if it helps deter crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    But why? What does being a public employee have to do with getting a discount for shopping somewhere?

Your corruption conspiracy is rather silly and frankly a little sad.
    It's not a corruption conspiracy. It's a basic human nature of bias and whatnot. The gas station itself in question admitted that they do it so they'd have armed protection more readily available.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It's not a corruption conspiracy. It's a basic human nature of bias and whatnot. The gas station itself in question admitted that they do it so they'd have armed protection more readily available.
    Are you against military discounts too?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Are you against military discounts too?
    As someone whom served I might show bias but no. But there's a catch. Where I live, military service is mandatory without pay and it does take a chunk of your best years and our military is purely for defense.

You are economically severely disadvantaged for serving which is mandated by law so discounts are alright. However if you are a career soldier I do not believe you should be granted any discounts because you get paid.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Can you blame this guy??? lol

He's a business owner, and if he wants to offer cops and gun carriers a small discount to gain their business and scare off criminals. Than by all means, keep that discount going!

I guarantee there's some locals who will never try to rob the bar I go to, because it's a well known COP OWNED BAR. ha ha

Why do you think 7/11's get robbed and Donut Shops don't???? You don't mess with the spots that are known for being cop hangouts =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Not a bad idea, IMO. Increased legal carry/law enforcement folks in a presumably bad area. Good on that business owner for taking profit from his pocket to help crime.
    I'm pretty sure a guy in a suit came by asking for money and offering "protection". Though I can't recall if he was from the police, the mafia or the insurance company.

There's a reason that giving discounts to police, military, etc... are illegal in several states. It's because those people are already paid to do their jobs and bribery to make them do their jobs more in your favor doesn't work out for anyone in the end.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm pretty sure a guy in a suit came by asking for money and offering "protection". Though I can't recall if he was from the police, the mafia or the insurance company.

There's a reason that giving discounts to police, military, etc... are illegal in several states. It's because those people are already paid to do their jobs and bribery to make them do their jobs more in your favor doesn't work out for anyone in the end.
    They aren't paying them to do their jobs in their favor. They are giving them discounts so that they show up more often. They show up more, word spreads out, criminals are less likely to target the place. This is a win-win situation and the cops don't have to do anything above their line of duty. It's not like restaurants or show owners are paying for protection. They would be protected anyway if they were in need, what they're "paying" for is an increased chance for the cops to be there in an hour of need. Does it hurt anyone choosing not to pay? No, because what's the chance you'll be assaulted on a street just when a cop that would otherwise be in your vicinity was busy eating a doughnut in a cafe he's got a discount at? Astronomically low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    They aren't paying them to do their jobs in their favor. They are giving them discounts so that they show up more often. They show up more, word spreads out, criminals are less likely to target the place. This is a win-win situation and the cops don't have to do anything above their line of duty. It's not like restaurants or show owners are paying for protection. They would be protected anyway if they were in need, what they're "paying" for is an increased chance for the cops to be there in an hour of need. Does it hurt anyone choosing not to pay? No, because what's the chance you'll be assaulted on a street just when a cop that would otherwise be in your vicinity was busy eating a doughnut in a cafe he's got a discount at? Astronomically low.
    Discounts or dollars its all the same in the end. It's illegal for a reason.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    A business can give discounts to whoever they want. It will be interesting to see how this affects them.

Discounts or dollars its all the same in the end. It's illegal for a reason.
    The reason is illogical. Or rather, irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason is illogical. Or rather, irrelevant.
    lol, I really don't care what you think of the reason. It's been a law in numerous states for longer than you've been alive, so frankly I'll go with what works for the reasons they gave over whatever the hell you think.

Just, be kind.

lol, I really don't care what you think of the reason. It's been a law in numerous states for longer than you've been alive, so frankly I'll go with what works for the reasons they gave over whatever the hell you think.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't USA have third world levels of armed crime?

But yeah, whatever laws you currently have are CLEARLY working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't USA have third world levels of armed crime?

But yeah, whatever laws you currently have are CLEARLY working out.
    You are wrong.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are wrong.
    No dude, material benefit in return for preferential treatment totally ISN'T the definition of gratuity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was the night manager at a restaurant in a very bad neighborhood. The owner had this exact same policy, it was the only business in the area that hadn't been robbed. So I can say from personal experience that this can work, of course that doesn't mean there couldn't be a bad experience however mine was nothing but good.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Yes and it is a pretty silly one at that.
    It's not that silly considering people have been shot under similar circumstances.

Worth a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

While giving police officers discounts for such seems a little legally tricky, giving discounts to legal gun carriers seems like a tasty idea.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    While giving police officers discounts for such seems a little legally tricky, giving discounts to legal gun carriers seems like a tasty idea.
    No legal trickiness involved at all. Whether or not the cops receives a discount at a store...he still has to attempt to prevent the robbery.