15+ Year Old Account
    A good Reinhardt is using his E virtually on CD as long as there are targets, especially if there an an opposing Reinhardt. The shield will be down briefly when he does so.

If there are no team members behind him using the shield to get los on something safely (turret, bastion, whatever) then never expect him to keep it up. A good Reinhardt is equal parts defensive and offensive and in most cases is better being being aggressive than hiding behind his shield the whole match.

Unless you are in a position where the shield is the only cover on the map you should never be that close to him as Mercy that you fall over if the shield isn't up.

The thing with Mercy is that if someone wants to kill you, and honestly you are the #1 target on the field in almost all cases due to your ult, you are going to die. People crying that no one is protecting them is stupid. This isn't an mmo where someone can be taunted off you. The only way to protect you is to kill them before they kill you and that isn't always the easiest thing to do. Chances are you will be dead before they do. You need to proactively be aware of your surroundings and constantly be on the move and near cover. A stationary Mercy is a dead Mercy.
    Last edited by xerus; 2016-07-01 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the worst night last night with matches. Lost SIX ranks in one evening.

I lost every match but one, and only one of those losses was the kind of "well, we were just outplayed, that's how it goes" sort of games, but even that one included someone on the other team who typed slurs at us in chat the entire time (even his own team reported him).

One game where the other team took both the objectives on attack and no one else on the team but me (playing a healer) ever stood ON the objective. The first point five people were at the point (I was running back) and no one bothered to step on the square. The second point four people were at the objective, but three were not standing on it, and one moved off of it to shoot a Tracer that was behind us (the other two of us got knocked off by Lucio at the last second). At least it was a really fast loss. I'm not a good player, but at least I pay attention to the objectives.

One game where our own team was trolling us. Several people picked Symmetra on a payload map where we were on attack, then proceeded to participate just enough not to get kick while asking inane questions in team chat. They placed their ONE portal right by the base so it ported you like 10 feet. We didn't push the payload very far, so of course the other team beat us on their turn (to be fair, they had some pretty good players, so they might have beaten us anyway but at least then we could have made an honest effort).

One game with this awful, awful, awful Reinhardt who spent the entire game -- even before the match started -- just berating us in chat. He would charge half way across the map to the objective (we were on attack) into six of them, and by the time the rest of the team got there, he'd already be dead. He'd scream at us for not following him. He'd run in on Molten Core. He'd run in when we weren't even there because running back after a death. He'd also yell at Zarya for not bubbling him (like... 3 seconds after she just had), Mercy for not healing him (when she had just been killed), and other bullshit that was either him not paying attention or just not humanly possible. He screamed at me for not being in team voice chat but dude, I'm not going in there while you are doing nothing but yelling. The funny thing was, he was rank 38 and the next lowest rank was me (I think I was 47 at that point) and the rest of the team was 50-56. I'm sure his rank was all the other guys' faults, though. I mean, it was a PuG, and were a fairly low average rank, so you can expect we're not going to be amazing, but the rest of the team at least seemed to be doing the best they could. Someone else on the team commented that it was obviously past his bedtime and I agree.

Plus a bunch of games where someone left.

SORRY HAD TO RANT. I don't mind the losses so much but it's just super demoralising playing with players who don't even try or who are just awful human beings.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2016-07-01 at 06:28 PM. Reason: paypal != payload

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Just had an absolutely cracking game as Winston on volskaya in competitive. I forced their mercy to change because I just jumped on her and chased her while her team watched, defense Winston is so good. We had 4:47 to attack they had 2 mins after both teams captured both points, we won and it was great. Getting a 'fuck off ape' from the Mercy was the best part, never enjoyed winston so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I had the worst night last night with matches. Lost SIX ranks in one evening.

I lost every match but one, and only one of those losses was the kind of "well, we were just outplayed, that's how it goes" sort of games, but even that one included someone on the other team who typed slurs at us in chat the entire time (even his own team reported him).

One game where the other team took both the objectives on attack and no one else on the team but me (playing a healer) ever stood ON the objective. The first point five people were at the point (I was running back) and no one bothered to step on the square. The second point four people were at the objective, but three were not standing on it, and one moved off of it to shoot a Tracer that was behind us (the other two of us got knocked off by Lucio at the last second). At least it was a really fast loss. I'm not a good player, but at least I pay attention to the objectives.

One game where our own team was trolling us. Several people picked Symmetra on a payload map where we were on attack, then proceeded to participate just enough not to get kick while asking inane questions in team chat. They placed their ONE portal right by the base so it ported you like 10 feet. We didn't push the payload very far, so of course the other team beat us on their turn (to be fair, they had some pretty good players, so they might have beaten us anyway but at least then we could have made an honest effort).

One game with this awful, awful, awful Reinhardt who spent the entire game -- even before the match started -- just berating us in chat. He would charge half way across the map to the objective (we were on attack) into six of them, and by the time the rest of the team got there, he'd already be dead. He'd scream at us for not following him. He'd run in on Molten Core. He'd run in when we weren't even there because running back after a death. He'd also yell at Zarya for not bubbling him (like... 3 seconds after she just had), Mercy for not healing him (when she had just been killed), and other bullshit that was either him not paying attention or just not humanly possible. He screamed at me for not being in team voice chat but dude, I'm not going in there while you are doing nothing but yelling. The funny thing was, he was rank 38 and the next lowest rank was me (I think I was 47 at that point) and the rest of the team was 50-56. I'm sure his rank was all the other guys' faults, though. I mean, it was a PuG, and were a fairly low average rank, so you can expect we're not going to be amazing, but the rest of the team at least seemed to be doing the best they could. Someone else on the team commented that it was obviously past his bedtime and I agree.

Plus a bunch of games where someone left.

SORRY HAD TO RANT. I don't mind the losses so much but it's just super demoralising playing with players who don't even try or who are just awful human beings.
    Those are the guys who lose a lot and their brains can't even consider that they might be the cause of their own problems so naturally they are in a perpetual state of blaming others. Hopefully you will leave his kind behind in the ranking dust soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Those are the guys who lose a lot and their brains can't even consider that they might be the cause of their own problems so naturally they are in a perpetual state of blaming others. Hopefully you will leave his kind behind in the ranking dust soon enough.
    I'm a baddie, I'm not sure I will! But I'm at least one that is pretty agreeable and trying to make a team effort. And I appreciate other people who do the same, even if they are also subpar in skill. What I don't appreciate is players who are rude or ignore the objectives and want to do their own thing. Or are screamy. Hate the screamy players.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I got 61 after my placement matches, not playing anymore until they fix the king of the hill bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I got 61 after my placement matches, not playing anymore until they fix the king of the hill bug.
    The fix went live at like 230am
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Hanzo could have been aiming at literally anybody else, or just lobbing arrows entirely speculatively though. You just got unlucky. Not entirely Reinhardt's fault.
    Reinhardt can see the Hanzo. He can see the arrows (He's been shooting them for about 10 seconds) He knows I'm just behind him. He still drops the shield. It's not entirely his fault, but come on..

Haven't got much chance to play, but I am enjoying competitive mode more now that I have the placement matches out of the way. People talk and play the objectives in the games I've been in since then, but I have a feeling I'm just rubberbanding again into the good people, and when my rank moves up or down Ill get put in with the short bus folks.

Also, Maybe I'm not playing to what blizz expects me to play for as I mostly play Reinhardt for attack, but I dont seem to get much credit moving up. I always seem to have gold ob time, gold Ob kills, and damage blocked, but the rest of the stuff I don't usually get much more than a bronze in if anything. For some reason this seems to get me very little to the next level. Not sure how that is suppose to work, but its kinda frustrating.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

I wonder how many people play without the sound activated? It's a very silly thing to do because to be effective you need to be able to listen out to what the characters are saying. I can understand people avoiding voice chat, of course, but there's so much tunnel vision in some groups that it's frustrating. People completely ignoring the objective (the enemy team just complimented me on being the only player trying to stop the payload. I have no idea what the rest of my team were doing but...they were running around chasing a lone Tracer.

It felt good going on a one man crusade though. I kept sneaking up on the enemy team and taking 'em out but it wasn't enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I wonder how many people play without the sound activated? It's a very silly thing to do because to be effective you need to be able to listen out to what the characters are saying. I can understand people avoiding voice chat, of course, but there's so much tunnel vision in some groups that it's frustrating. People completely ignoring the objective (the enemy team just complimented me on being the only player trying to stop the payload. I have no idea what the rest of my team were doing but...they were running around chasing a lone Tracer.

It felt good going on a one man crusade though. I kept sneaking up on the enemy team and taking 'em out but it wasn't enough.
    This is the first game I've played in years where I don't listen to podcasts while I play. Kind of a bummer but I need to hear those high noons and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, just did first (and subsequently last) solo-q.
    Thought we were gonna be alright when we went rein/Zarya (me) Lucio, Mercy, Pharah, Soldier on King's Row attack.
    Kept getting team wiped for like five minutes before I realized our lucio had switched about 5 seconds after the doors opened (to a reaper).
    Never got a heal from mercy (who to be fair, was dead most of the time)
    Pharah ignored the Torb's turrets in the open
    Soldier did...something. Think I head a visor once.

Dropped down to 46, and have reaffirmed my choice to never pug again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I think part of the issue is that the competitive mode is new and shiny so a lot of people who shouldn't be there...are, in fact, there. Hopefully the novelty wears off soon and there's less players involved who have no intention of fighting for victory and working with their team. I love the battles where it's a struggle for every inch - but it seems like I encounter them more in quick play than competitive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post

As an addition, if you are using a headset with the game for game sound you should make sure you have Dolby Atmos enabled in the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I ran 5x Torbjörn + something else, think it was Symmetra a week or so back. We got handily destroyed on point A Hanamura (We pretty much all swapped after that)
    I mean... right? I played a bunch of all-ofs in beta, sure sometimes the enemy isn't prepared and you annihilate them, but most of the time they just counter you and kapow. Torbjorn wasn't even a particularly effective one, since it only takes one break in your defences and you're on the back foot so much you'd better just swap heroes. Don't get what people are saying about that "strat", unless they're playing on console maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Reinhardt can see the Hanzo. He can see the arrows (He's been shooting them for about 10 seconds) He knows I'm just behind him. He still drops the shield. It's not entirely his fault, but come on..
    LOL I hate being sniped because Reinhardt stopped to scratch his ass :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I think they broke Mercy with the last patch. The beam gets interrupted if you switch more than once from healing to boost etc. It's still playable but very annoying because when the cast is interrupted you need los of your target.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I think they broke Mercy with the last patch. The beam gets interrupted if you switch more than once from healing to boost etc. It's still playable but very annoying because when the cast is interrupted you need los of your target.
    Yes, its a well known bug.

the person at blizz that thought that making the way the winner of a tie in payload map needs to have its head checked out.... if my team makes it to the last point with 3.40 mins to spare while the enemy stays 2 mins in overtime before finaly getting there, the way the winner is decided shouldnt be a new match with a coin flip and only lasting 1.30... there is jack shit the atacking team can do in a scenario like that since the defense can just bunker down like a nuke was gonna hit them... either chose the winner based on time taken or make a new match where the team that did it in less time choses if they want defense or offense in a normal length match...
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I really like this game, but how is it possible to actually win against premades? I don't have any friends that play Overwatch, and I can't make any because most of the groups I get paired with do terribly and we never want to see each other again. So it just becomes a huge circle-jerk of losing. I wouldn't mind getting rolled if it was against another team of randos that were just better, but it gets pretty disheartening after the third or fourth game of seeing your team either run in blindly to feed or stand in your spawn point spinning in circles until time runs out.

I think I would give Torbjorn a minor buff to his turret setting up, specifically on KOTH maps. Something like "Turret now starts at 150 HP, arming time unchanged"