Competitive Skill Rating

I have a lot of gripes with the new system but at the root of it all I feel that the ranking system wrongly assigns you a number that is not reflective of your skill and is instead all about your team win average, of which you only have control over if you team with consistent players.

Solo queing is already frowned upon by most players because of the stresses it causes with coordination, but being punished so harshly because your team is just not working together is just frustrating. Especially when you or others on your team are doing a very good job overall.

I hope they fix this in the future so that the ranking shows more about your personal skill and less about how your team occasionally gets screwed by the system (Looking at you Sudden Death)

All I can say is if you haven't started playing Competitive yet, play with friends. Playing alone is a HUGE waste of time.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to pimp your own channel / videos do it in the sticky thread dedicated to it.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    If you want to pimp your own channel / videos do it in the sticky thread dedicated to it.
    Didn't notice the thread, I posted quick to get my thoughts out on the mode and also hopefully give information to players who haven't begun in the mode yet. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well the topic will be locked as soon as a mod sees it as it against the forum rules.

Also, if you really wanted to contribute to the ranked mode discussion there is already an active topic about it.

Either way, as long as people are aware of the mechanics of the ranking system. It has serious issues that Blizzard has to rectify if they expect this game to be taken seriously. Especially if genuinely skilled players have issues with basic flaws.

I won 1 out of 10 placement games and started at Rank 46. So no, it isn't solely about your win percentage.

Your entire argument is based on a flawed concept. Two of the biggest competitive games right now (CS:GO and League) are incredibly team focused, and you can solo queue your way to victory. Overwatch isn't special in that regard. Of course you'll get shitty pugs, but over a long enough time frame, your rank will reflect your actual skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Your entire argument is based on a flawed concept. Two of the biggest competitive games right now (CS:GO and League) are incredibly team focused, and you can solo queue your way to victory. Overwatch isn't special in that regard. Of course you'll get shitty pugs, but over a long enough time frame, your rank will reflect your actual skill level.
    What I wanted to point out is that your skill rating is only accurately reflected when you play with a premade and consistent team. Playing with anything less shows false information as your win average will most likely be lower and therefore bring your rank down. They should have put in a Team ranking and a Personal ranking which could reflect your ability alone in each game playing your hero, and also how effective you are as a team player.

I expect a system to be put in place in the future, but for now this Season 1 is a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    What I wanted to point out is that your skill rating is only accurately reflected when you play with a premade and consistent team. Playing with anything less shows false information as your win average will most likely be lower and therefore bring your rank down. They should have put in a Team ranking and a Personal ranking which could reflect your ability alone in each game playing your hero, and also how effective you are as a team player.

I expect a system to be put in place in the future, but for now this Season 1 is a waste of time.
    If they were to do something like that, they'd need to let you make teams like in WoW arenas.
    Though that's almost the last thing I'd want in this game
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    If they were to do something like that, they'd need to let you make teams like in WoW arenas.
    Though that's almost the last thing I'd want in this game
    Personally I wouldn't mind a team system in some sense as it would allow you to be matched up with other teams of similar ranks. Currently people don't feel pressure to work together and I think a nudge in that direction would be ideal. In the end of the day Competitive is meant to be a mode where you work as a team, and if you just want to screw around you go to Quick Play. Instead what it is is just another version of Quick Play with many just playing for themselves and blaming everyone else for a loss.

Playing alone better reflects your personal skill. Playing in groups better reflects your groups skill.

Not much to say here. If you're stuck in low rankings solo queue, it's your fault. It's true for CS:go, It's true for LoL, It's true for Overwatch. Just like Bronzies in LoL or Silver in CS:go - you're not at a low rating because your teams are bad or uncoordinated. If you play enough games, your ranking WILL accurately depict your skill level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I wouldn't mind a team system in some sense as it would allow you to be matched up with other teams of similar ranks. Currently people don't feel pressure to work together and I think a nudge in that direction would be ideal. In the end of the day Competitive is meant to be a mode where you work as a team, and if you just want to screw around you go to Quick Play. Instead what it is is just another version of Quick Play with many just playing for themselves and blaming everyone else for a loss.
    Oh, I completely agree.
    I refuse to pug in comp at this point. If I lose, I want it to be because we got beat as a team (and all that entails) and not because someone feels like fucking around. I didn't care what people did in QP, but in comp I'd sooner not play than waste my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I have a lot of gripes with the new system but at the root of it all I feel that the ranking system wrongly assigns you a number that is not reflective of your skill and is instead all about your team win average, of which you only have control over if you team with consistent players.

Solo queing is already frowned upon by most players because of the stresses it causes with coordination, but being punished so harshly because your team is just not working together is just frustrating. Especially when you or others on your team are doing a very good job overall.

I hope they fix this in the future so that the ranking shows more about your personal skill and less about how your team occasionally gets screwed by the system (Looking at you Sudden Death)

All I can say is if you haven't started playing Competitive yet, play with friends. Playing alone is a HUGE waste of time.
    Nothing like having a gold medal in eliminations with 13000 healing as Lucio...losing the match and losing a level...then when you finally win it's a sliver...the system sucks as is. Personal performance should matter.

What I wanted to point out is that your skill rating is only accurately reflected when you play with a premade and consistent team.
    Straight up not true. Over a long enough time line, you'll end up where you belong. Every other competitive online team-based game uses a similar system.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Straight up not true. Over a long enough time line, you'll end up where you belong. Every other competitive online team-based game uses a similar system.
    I'm sorry but that us just not true. If you solo que only for 1000 games vs group que for 1000 games your rating is completely different. It just comes down to win averages and playing as a team which is made harder with random people. The system is flawed and I fully expect it to change .

Comparing the systems to that of LoL and CS is fine on the surface, but remember that one major difference is that in both of those games a single highly skilled player can win a game alone while in Overwatch the chances of that happening are dramatically lower. If you as a player could defend solo or wipe out an enemy team consistently without assistance, then and only then would your rank reflect your skills accurately as your win ratio is now directly influenced by you. But that's not and will never be how Overwatch works, and that was made clear by the devs.
    Last edited by chesder; 2016-07-02 at 09:42 AM.

False, my solo win ratio is higher than my team win ratio. FYI when you queue as a group, in Quick Match and Competitive, the game tries to match you with other groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    False, my solo win ratio is higher than my team win ratio. FYI when you queue as a group, in Quick Match and Competitive, the game tries to match you with other groups.
    That speaks more to the people you're playing with. My win rate solo is about 54% while my group is around 67%. We lose to people, but knowing they are a team let's us know we got outplayed. That's a much different feeling than knowing some of us didn't play at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but that us just not true. If you solo que only for 1000 games vs group que for 1000 games your rating is completely different. It just comes down to win averages and playing as a team which is made harder with random people. The system is flawed and I fully expect it to change .
    It may be harder to climb out of low rank hell solo, but it is possible. Once you get to a decent rank level you start playing with people who suck less and are more serious about the game. You still aren't in the same spot as a well practiced team for coordination but it's worlds different. Also, since neither team is a premade (in most cases) both sides are in the same boat. If anything this can highlight exceptional players more than a premade team would.

Saying the system is flawed because solo can be harder to rank and may be slightly more reliant on luck is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    It may be harder to climb out of low rank hell solo, but it is possible. Once you get to a decent rank level you start playing with people who suck less and are more serious about the game. You still aren't in the same spot as a well practiced team for coordination but it's worlds different. Also, since neither team is a premade (in most cases) both sides are in the same boat. If anything this can highlight exceptional players more than a premade team would.

Saying the system is flawed because solo can be harder to rank and may be slightly more reliant on luck is not accurate.

I say it's flawed because it ignores personal accountability. While it's true that if you bash your head against a wall it will eventually give way, that doesn't make it a viable way of tearing it down.

You can get the same result in a fraction of the time by playing with a team of people you know. At the end of the day it all comes down to numbers and in solo he numbers are not in your favor.

Solo Q is just massive aids.
    Mouthbreathers everywhere.
    If you want to rank, play as a premade.
    Most likely dropping the game soon since not many friends play it.