Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I carry a bright red Jansport backpack and I work full time in an office.

It's not 1991 anymore. As long as you don't look like a clown or annoy anybody it doesn't matter what you're wearing, carrying, et cetera.

I think people needs to stop worrying what the fuck other people think. Who cares what you carry? No one.

Deleted
    Backpacks are the stuff. Can everything a man like me could ever need. Laptop? Clothing? Water. Books. Duct tape. Rye bread. Rope. Tools of all kinds. Mine even has a fold able chair.

Backpacks are actually superior to every other method of carrying. You can even put them on bikes or horses, if that's your thing.

I will agree (or disagree) only to the extent that If you are a professional and client facing, to try to use a modest backpack. Things with half naked ladies or cartoons or Gore pictures are normally consider bad (whether T shirts, coffee mugs etc). We had one of our hardware guys show up with a Nintendo looking back pack and looking like he came from a emo\Goth party. That already made the customer wonder what the hell was up and then he didn't do a great job, which only made things worse.

A company's personal flair tolerance ends where the the possibility to lose money begins.

For everyone else just commuting to the office, Backpack with naked anime toons all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's based mainly on the importance of appearance for a job. If you are wearing a suit, a backpack is going to cause it to wrinkle. A single strap pack is better, but can still cause problems. A backpack isn't a problem for someone wearing a polo and khakis, or a nerd jersey, because they tolerate wrinkles far better.
    Yeah but at the same time for someone that has to carry a lot of paperwork the briefcase is the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase. Most of the people who responded said it depends on what field you're in. For example it would be unprofessional for a lawyer to carry one but for people who are in like the IT field a backpack is really the best option.

I can agree with this. Being in the IT field when I have to go out to campus to repair a computer or check out a network problem I carry a back pack. A briefcase would be very limiting when I need to carry various tools, laptops, testing equipment, and cables and stuff.

What do you guys think of this?
    I agree they look unprofessional but, only when you are dressed professionally. An IT guy probably isn't coming to work in a suit and tie, so a back pack is fine. But yeah, if you are in a suit, it looks pretty silly to wear a backpack with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I saw an article on linkedin a couple of weeks ago that basically said it is unprofessional to carry a back pack in the professional world instead of a briefcase. Most of the people who responded said it depends on what field you're in. For example it would be unprofessional for a lawyer to carry one but for people who are in like the IT field a backpack is really the best option.

I can agree with this. Being in the IT field when I have to go out to campus to repair a computer or check out a network problem I carry a back pack. A briefcase would be very limiting when I need to carry various tools, laptops, testing equipment, and cables and stuff.

What do you guys think of this?
    My general rule of thumb would be based on whether you wear a suit or not.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I agree they look unprofessional but, only when you are dressed professionally. An IT guy probably isn't coming to work in a suit and tie, so a back pack is fine. But yeah, if you are in a suit, it looks pretty silly to wear a backpack with it.
    Their is a false premise with this.

First I would be surprised if people would carry a case for everyday work, most people will be carnying their laptops and food with them not important papers.

I used to go to the GYM before starting work in the morning,
    Some of my colleagues used to go to the gym at lunchtime and some straight after work.

Everyone had a backpack..

People are time poor these days especially most 9-7pm office workers

Try getting a pair of gym shoes, towel, gym clothes and shower stuff into a briefcase.

Unless you are a soldier, going school, or camping you look like a moron or bum wearing a backpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely depends on where you work. I'm in IT and the company I work for would never permit a backpack for some of our clients. One of our techs was fired for less, it's absolutely dependent on the environment you work, not necessarily the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Unless you are a soldier, going school, or camping you look like a moron or bum wearing a backpack.
    What's different about your 3 examples that would cause them to not look like a moron or bum?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    What's different about your 3 examples that would cause them to not look like a moron or bum?
    Those are socially accepted norms for the use of wearing a backpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    I used to go to the GYM before starting work in the morning,
    Some of my colleagues used to go to the gym at lunchtime and some straight after work.

Everyone had a backpack..

People are time poor these days especially most 9-7pm office workers

Try getting a pair of gym shoes, towel, gym clothes and shower stuff into a briefcase.
    I feel like that doesn't count. You aren't using your backpack for business in that situation, you are using it for utility which I think is totally acceptable regardless of your job or attire (suit etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    I've never seen anyone at my company cary a briefcase. Always backpacks, lunchboxes or even plastic grocery sacks with lunch in them.
    And without saying where you work, you arent really saying anything at all.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully I work at a large company that considers business casual as overdressed. Backpacks are far more likely to be found here than briefcases (which are also hard to carry on a motorcycle).

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, who gives a fuck. I'm carrying my work material in whatever works best. Fuck, I hate how professionalism has all these stupid little rules sometimes. Like, I get the big picture things of looking nice, and treating people with tact . . . but if you're telling people how to carry their own shit, either go fuck off, or carry it for them.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Honestly, who gives a fuck. I'm carrying my work material in whatever works best. Fuck, I hate how professionalism has all these stupid little rules sometimes. Like, I get the big picture things of looking nice, and treating people with tact . . . but if you're telling people how to carry their own shit, either go fuck off, or carry it for them.
    I would agree, but suit + backpack makes you look like a moron that got dressed by mommy in the morning..

When you receive your work laptop in a backpack, I think that is a strong indication that the company views backpacks as professional and that you are encouraged to use it for carrying your laptop and other work items.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I feel like that doesn't count. You aren't using your backpack for business in that situation, you are using it for utility which I think is totally acceptable regardless of your job or attire (suit etc)
    At least the Gym workers with Backpacks are more healthy & not Fat