Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    You gathered all that from some entitled snots upset with a dress code?

Well ok then...
    'educated'.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Pretty stupid of them to make a big deal about the dresscode. Of you're a intern, your a guest. They are doing you a favor.

Oh well live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Dress code dinosaurs will die out. Being unable to adjust to changing times is the most telling sign of impending doom for the company.
    I hope not. Having a dress code helps keep the focus on the work and not what the workers are wearing. It also helps keep the employees in line and not allows them to think they are some special little snowflake that thinks they deserve special treatment. Fall in line or go start your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I take issue with how widely used interns are, but that's a different issue.
    No it isn't. The fact that interns are much more disposable than paid employees is precisely why they are so widely used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Shoes are one of those things I get overly angry at. I basically need to special order shoes if you want me to wear leather dress shoes or dress shoes in general. I have never owned a pair of slipons on high heels, I can cram my feet into shoes a full size too small and my heels still pop out of them.

Fuck you and your dress-code shoes. It's one thing to have safety shoes, it's another for professionalism.
    Or you know if you are a real employee(not an intern), you discuss it with the boss face to face ( no written demands) like a real professional employee. Hell they might even pay for your special needs to meet the dress code!! Aint it magical how acting like a professional works!

Pretty stupid of them to make a big deal about the dresscode. Of you're a intern, your a guest. They are doing you a favor.

Oh well live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Except the employees in question didn't deal with the public. So yeah, no "image" there. No "jersey" in front of the crowd.
    Image and inner-cultural norms of a company apply regardless of public. A company sets their culture (yes business culture exists and matters very much) and if they wanted to so quickly challenge it, it is clear they were not aligning themselves with the company. They were being pests. If they want to wear whatever shows they want, they can find a place that will allow that. It's not a company's responsibility to cater to snowflakes. Having a job is a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    Well, good luck in you, theoretically, finding a new job!
    So you're saying it's less professional for me to wear a comfortable tried up shoe, than walk like I have cinderblocks on my feet at a rate of 1/5th normal walk speed?

Linadra has a point, though.

I mean, normal, rational human beings are at least open to discussion. Even if the discussion is essentially you saying, "No." to the people asking you something. Just asking doesn't make you an "entitled snot", either.

But to just up and dismiss everyone over simply asking? That suggests largely what Linadra said.
    They did not ask, they organized and petitioned. There is a difference.

As you notice in the article none of them even bothered to "ask" why the other employee was wearing different shoes.

They did nothing more than organize a mob with pitchforks to ask for their demands.

Idiots. Just follow the dress code.

I mean, normal, rational human beings are at least open to discussion. Even if the discussion is essentially you saying, "No." to the people asking you something. Just asking doesn't make you an "entitled snot", either.

But to just up and dismiss everyone over simply asking? That suggests largely what Linadra said.
    Jumping to petitions over being miffed you saw someone else breaking dress code is incredibly juvenile. They got all the information they needed by their mere actions.

Edit: since you quoted me after, they didn't fire them over asking. They showed significant non-professional behaviors by responding they way they did. Petition rallying is very childish, especially without any prior engagement. It's childish to not ask and then go "see, all these people agree your policy is wrong and we want it our way!" AS INTERNS.
    Last edited by HardlyWaken; 2016-07-02 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Or you know if you are a real employee(not an intern), you discuss it with the boss face to face ( no written demands) like a real professional employee. Hell they might even pay for your special needs to meet the dress code!! Aint it magical how acting like a professional works!
    I never said I wouldn't. I just think having a dress code for shoes is ridiculous.

They breached the contract, they're out. Simple as that.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

It's funny to me that you guys keep putting on this air of being all "professional" and "adult" while siding with the employer here, who clearly couldn't even handle a simple inquiry about the dress code and threw the equivalent of a tantrum over it.
    Your idea of what an inquiry is seems to vary greatly from the rest of us.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except the employees in question didn't deal with the public. So yeah, no "image" there. No "jersey" in front of the crowd.
    And that still means absolutely nothing. An intern is there to learn, not to write petitions. A dress code is for an entire company to present a certain appearance. If you cannot abide by the company's dress code at a place you want to work, then you don't deserve to have any job there. regardless if it deals with customers or not. Let alone the interns taking the time away from what they were supposed to be doing in the first place to write the petition. Further destroying any productivity they may have had by doing so.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    I hope not. Having a dress code helps keep the focus on the work and not what the workers are wearing. It also helps keep the employees in line and not allows them to think they are some special little snowflake that thinks they deserve special treatment. Fall in line or go start your own business.
    You can't work long if you do not dress comfortable. People work til 8pm 9pm these days...
    Last edited by Xjev; 2016-07-02 at 05:00 PM.

Putting a request in writing is hardly "a mob with pitchforks".

Hell, in every place I've worked, if I had a serious request I was ASKED to put it in writing after bringing it up. I don't see how this is somehow a bad thing that they did.
    Their first argument was how hypocritical the dress code was.... Im not surr how thsts starting from the right place. Clearly the boss already did listen when individual asked about it, hence the reason for this petitions was a real employee breaking the code.

Instead of someone asking their boss they first made a proposal and then got most of the other interns to sign it.

A rational human being would just have asked directly - not written a proposal and circulated it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    You gathered all that from some entitled snots upset with a dress code?

Well ok then...
    The employer could have simply said no. Problem solved, but no, he fired them all. It tells the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The article says that they wrote a "proposal" - mostly about shoes. It also says that they "asked".

It's hardly a "mob with pitchforks" at that point. I mean, do you guys expect employees/interns/workers to just never bring anything up at all in the workplace? Are we not dealing with adults here?
    A signed petition is not a simple inquiry or useful time spent as an intern. They are showing early signs of entitlement and trying to show numbers against authority. Everything about it spells out "this just isn't the place for you..." Yes, petitions, especially for such small causes, are juvenile worker behavior and not a sign of an obedient worker.