Thread: Heroes and Ults

Heroes and Ults

I enjoy playing McCree, Roadhog, and Junkrat, i am decent with them as well. But i suck when using their ults, some more than others. Roadhog doesn't suffer as much as the other two does with me though.

McCree i never seem to get more than 1 kill with it, assuming i use it at all. More often than not i end up canceling it because there weren't any targets or they all hid.

Junkrat, i occasionally get kills with his ult, but it always seems to die before i actually get a chance to blow it up. As if they know exactly where its coming from and they all focus it down.

Their ults are just a part of their kid, i am decent with aim and their other abilities though. Would you avoid characters that you are decent with and enjoy playing but cant use their ults to save your life? How would you get better at using them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually really enjoy Mcree's ult. You don't have to actually fire it to get people to hide.
    On the rare times I play him, I'll usually queue up and cancel the ult after the voice line and just use it as area denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    McCree: Try and come from somewhere they can't see you, so they first have to figure out where you are before they can hide. Also as Wsky said, you can sometimes just use it as area denial. Make sure they can see you, pop it, wait for them to hide (shouldn't take long) and then cancel. Area denial is pretty powerful sometimes.

Junkrat: Don't go straight at people. Jump over a building or three first and drop down in the middle of their group/on the person you want to kill

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Junkrat: Don't go straight at people. Jump over a building or three first and drop down in the middle of their group/on the person you want to kill
    This is exactly what i try to do and still fail spectacularly. Worse yet it seems Junkrat's ult cant scale everything. For example there are things Genj can scale that the tire cant.

I like 76's ultimate ability. It's simple but effective - especially if you sneak up from behind the enemy team and catch them by surprise. That's usually the most effective for me though I also have a lot of success with D.va as well. Even if I don't kill anyone with her ability it usually scatters the enemy team off of an objective. Sometimes I die afterwards though - or my team just don't bother exploiting the opening.

Junkrat's for me is situational. Certain maps I can get a nice cluster kill, but sometimes I'll use it to take out the best player on a team if my teammates or myself can't seem to get them. Usually a skilled Mercy or Lucio who is holding together a shambling team.

Honestly think Riptire needs a buff back to 150hp minimum. The thing is the easiest ult to completely negate and leaves Junkrat completely vulnerable at the same time. Sure, you can get lucky and bomb their team for a 3-4 if they're all distracted with the rest of your team but 99/100 times it's killed instantly before its even in range of anyone anymore. Anyone that's half decent and plays with their sound on(which should be everyone) knows where and when its coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    This is exactly what i try to do and still fail spectacularly. Worse yet it seems Junkrat's ult cant scale everything. For example there are things Genj can scale that the tire cant.
    Try turning on in the Junkrat specific settings for the RIP tire to just automatically climb walls that are jumped at.

I'm not sure if it was just me, but I used to have so much trouble with this too until I turned that option on, never have an issue with Genji or Hanzo though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post
    Honestly think Riptire needs a buff back to 150hp minimum. The thing is the easiest ult to completely negate and leaves Junkrat completely vulnerable at the same time. Sure, you can get lucky and bomb their team for a 3-4 if they're all distracted with the rest of your team but 99/100 times it's killed instantly before its even in range of anyone anymore. Anyone that's half decent and plays with their sound on(which should be everyone) knows where and when its coming.
    You can say this about virtually every ult. Your tire is not a special snowflake.

At this point in the game, unless you are brand new, you know what all the ults do and how to avoid most of them. Most of them are only good for area denial unless you get very creative or just plain lucky with them.

And that is not a bad thing.

Thank you all for the feedback on the ults, but would you avoid using certain heroes if you were decent with them normally but were terrible with using their ult?

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for the feedback on the ults, but would you avoid using certain heroes if you were decent with them normally but were terrible with using their ult?
    No. You are only going to get better by playing them and figuring out what works and what doesn't with maximizing ult usage.

Unless you really get the drop on the other team most ults are rarely super effective by themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, as there are plenty of Heroes with Support type ultimates anyway that don't give you a damage advantage. And of those that do do damage, I'd say D.Va's is probably the absolute weakest since it's so (too?) easy to avoid. Even there though, the area denial itself can be effective; and I play her more than anyone at the moment. Ultimates can be game changers, but individually, they seldom are on their own; you need your team to help to actually capitalise on the outcome more than anything. Getting a Team Kill doesn't guarantee you the match.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    You can say this about virtually every ult. Your tire is not a special snowflake.

At this point in the game, unless you are brand new, you know what all the ults do and how to avoid most of them. Most of them are only good for area denial unless you get very creative or just plain lucky with them.

And that is not a bad thing.
    I think the issue would be tire isn't even good for area denial, since there's no threat from it if it dies. It's not like McCree's ult where you risk trying to kill him first, if you can aim and have a team looking out, it's dead.

But it does make up for that with it's ability to be a bit more sneaky (while it makes a huge amount of noise ironically enough)

No, most the characters that I suck with their ults I dislike anyway, like D.Va.

YES, I KNOW, D.VA'S ULT ISN'T HARD TO USE, I STILL SUCK WITH IT.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of the times, your ult will get you around 0-1 kills so being bad with them isn't really such a big deal. If in doubt just try to time yours with other people's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's funny that the ult with the flavor of "dueling" or otherwise being straight up and face to face actually kinda requires you to be a sneaky ninja about it and lurk around corners and shit.
    Especially at high noon when it's bright out!