Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Dehumanizing other members of the working class so that they'll spend more time attacking one another rather than dealing with their shared interests is a pretty common strategy of the anti-union/anti-workers-rights groups.

Look how quick other working class people are to point and laugh at fast food workers, or sanitation workers, or other "unworthy" jobs, for example. Look at how we're eager to make a spectacle of them the moment they speak up about something.
    No. People do that because we've talked SOOOO much shit about how only useless people go into retail, hospitality, sanitation and others.

But, it's an easy to use ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    exept in 99 % of cases it does - in 99 % cases interns are clueless babies without any previous work experience and that why they applied to internship not to entry work position in company - in this case not only they were clueless but clearly kinda retarded so ye interns are basickly pushovers untill they get some work experience.
    - citation required -

But then again, I always expected people who lean far right to use their personal anecdotes to speak for the majority, it's like the overarching standard of practice for your lot.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Not that I support the interns, but what is the deal with such super strict dress codes? I've never had to wear suits etc for work, but I imagine they're not the most comfortable clothes? Wouldn't that reduce worker efficiency?

I mean I can understand if you're dealing with guests / clients or customers, but if you're not then.. eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    No. People do that because we've talked SOOOO much shit about how only useless people go into retail, hospitality, sanitation and others.

But, it's an easy to use ammo.
    Not to mention the insane over-emphasis that we have put on having a "college education," even in absolutely vital fields of employment where all the fluffy nonsense of many college classes is worse than useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You act as if they quit their shitty internship, they die the next day.
    I am sure there's a difference between instantly and a few days. A technical one, so brownie points for being technically correct?

"Well, but dying over the next few days is better than dying right away by gun, I am so lucky, blessed and entitled! xoxoxoxo"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor4life View Post
    Not that I support the interns, but what is the deal with such super strict dress codes? I've never had to wear suits etc for work, but I imagine they're not the most comfortable clothes? Wouldn't that reduce worker efficiency?

I mean I can understand if you're dealing with guests / clients or customers, but if you're not then.. eh.
    I always liked wearing braziers, they keep me nice and warm. But I am sure this is about personal preference.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    - citation required -

But then again, I always expected people who lean far right to use their personal anecdotes to speak for the majority, it's like the overarching standard of practice for your lot.
    I guess if you are unable to defend your point you begin attacking others. Classic ad hominem.

What experience? In the end, interns are no better or worse than full time employees who just entered the workforce and skipped internships altogether.

Just because you call yourself an intern, does it make you less capable than people who label themselves employees, or make you less human altogether?

What a laughable and delusional notion.
    Laugh at it all you want, there's a reason why interns get paid little to nothing. And their lack of experience plus that they'll have a boatload more experience at the end of the internship is part of the reason for that. Another part is that interns usually don't have a fraction of the responsibility of the actual workforce. But hey, pretend the world doesn't work like it really does.

These guys thought they could pull a school prank. The company wasn't amused and booted them out, because nobody gives a fuck about interns. Still laughing, mate? This is how every company on the planet thinks about interns.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Wow, I'm impressed, MMOC.

I was fully prepared to open this thread and see it full of outrage. Maybe there is some hope for you all after all : )

Anyways, yeah - if you don't like the dress code, don't take the internship.

If someone is breaking the dress code and you take issue with it, you approach the leadership and express your concern.

That's how life works.

Quote Originally Posted by echoSAW View Post
    Not to mention the insane over-emphasis that we have put on having a "college education," even in absolutely vital fields of employment where all the fluffy nonsense of many college classes is worse than useless.
    Yep yep.

"See honey? You should stay in school and get a real job. Not be a burger flipper."

- citation required -

Which, ironically enough, is a blanketing statement based on your own anecdotal experience in this very thread...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure there's a difference between instantly and a few days. A technical one, so brownie points for being technically correct?

"Well, but dying over the next few days is better than dying right away by gun, I am so lucky, blessed and entitled! xoxoxoxo"

By your logic. Any and every job is slave labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor4life View Post

It's very common for sales people and TV personalities to wear suits when facing the client. The best dressed ones tend to do better with the client, so it doesn't seem like it negatively impacts efficiency.

I'm not saying everyone should be wearing suits (personally I'd take shorts and gym shoes anyday), just pointing out that in positions where it's still commonplace, folks who wear those suits seem to do just fine (if not a little better)

Well, the primary focus seemed to be on the shoes, and to be honest shoes can be a huge issue for some people. Especially if you're expected to wear heels of some kind as a woman.

Sure, we'll laugh it off as silly, but you can do some serious damage to yourself.
    If you have a medical condition, get a slip from your doc, show it to your super and she'll let you wear the shoes you need to wear to be able to function. Her job is to get a profit out of your working hours, not antagonize you for the amusement of someone.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Do explain how that "would be silly".

Hell, I was around for all the Union-bashing stuff, especially in Michigan, when the "typical union worker" was caricatured as a fat, sleeping, lazy guy with a hamburger in each hand, making $30/hour for doing nothing. And - not so subtly - any lack of jobs or lack of good pay was pinned on that guy.

Those campaigns don't pop up for no reason, and they're still used today - albeit typically in different forms since people in most fields willingly gave up their collective bargaining powers.
    It's silly because it's false and nothing more than an attack on others with different ideals. Another ad hominem, which is what you and Pos seem to be resorting to.

'Making fun' of other people is human nature and has nothing to do with pro/anti union.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    No lives are being held at ransom...... Just how dense are you?
    Are you an entity that can live off purely photosynthesis or something, without food and water?

Interesting and ironic how you resort to ad hominem attacks calling me dense when you don't even realize that humans need food and water to survive, and surprise, that comes from buying them with money.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    By your logic. Any and every job is slave labor.
    Based on his logic, I would say he nearly completely undefined slavery. If having a job makes you a "slave", the word slave is pretty much meaningless.

Slave
    n. a person

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    You had a very sarcastic response regarding the probability of a person with a prosthetic walking perfectly with no limb. I saw several big holes with your logic sprinkled throughout your statement. I nearly didn't respond to it because of how ridiculous it was. So many assumptions.
    So basically, you admit it's your own prejudice and cognitive dissonance that led you to the faulty conclusion, even though my response stated otherwise, even though I didn't even intend any sarcasm in my words.

Okay, you are forgiven, happy? People and their need to be validated, pfft.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you an entity that can live off purely photosynthesis or something, without food and water?

Interesting and ironic how you resort to ad hominem attacks calling me dense when you don't even realize that humans need food and water to survive, and surprise, that comes from buying them with money.
    They don't need to be a intern to get food and water. There are other jobs or welfare that can help support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Thanks for your indepth analysis based on deep understanding of the topic at hand. "extreme red flags" are what are raised when people with bombs walk into airports, not what happens when a 22 year old asks to wear less uncomfortable shoes.

I agree, potentially ruining peoples lives because they had the gall to ask about the shoes they have to wear seems like a rational and reasonable response from an enlightened employer (that was sarcasm - you don't seem bright enough to catch it without explanation)
    My other post explained why, but i didnt feel like typing it again. Regardless, stupid decision results in being fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Based on his logic, I would say he nearly completely undefined slavery. If having a job makes you a "slave", the word slave is pretty much meaningless.

Slave
    n. a person
    Well, having a job totally makes you slave to the clock. Have you noticed how Mondays its especially slow? Tuesdays and Thursdays I like. Everyone loves Fridays, but Mondays... god, I swear you look up think it's time for lunch and it shows 10:30...