Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I didn't say two days, I said a few days.

It may rhyme, but it really isn't the same, not by a long shot.

Humans have a lifespan of 7 days when going without food, roughly 3 without water. 2 days was never my assertion.

Few is defined as a small number generally 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    Thanks for the laughs PosPosPos you got people to keep replying to you. Good troll 10/10 would read again
    You choose to insist on arguing semantics and technicalities, instead of the real difficulties in society, while calling me a troll, or you can enlighten yourself to the fact that if you can't not work without dying in a few days, your life is held at ransom.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    You choose to insist on arguing semantics and technicalities, instead of the real difficulties in society, while calling me a troll, or you can enlighten yourself to the fact that if you can't not work without dying in a few days, your life is held at ransom.

Millions of people around the world don't have a job and haven't had a job for years. Why aren't they dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    Isn't it really more along the lines of feudalism than slavery?
    Feudalism is more about giving land in exchange for work.

In many cases, after fulfilling one's responsibilities to their lords, they get to keep it after they retire. Admittedly, not for very long given the average lifespan during those times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Millions of people around the world don't have a job and haven't had a job for years. Why aren't they dead yet?
    I already said, it doesn't fall under slavery if they don't die from choosing to not work.

I certainly did not assert that people necessarily die if they didn't work, that's just an absurd strawman on your part, and putting the cartwheel before the horse.

- - - Updated - - -

Few is defined as a small number generally 2-3.
    By who? You?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/few

Nowhere in any definition in any dictionary that few carries even the slightest connotation that it's necessarily/generally 2-3. That's just you projecting your cognitive dissonance on me, and making up strawman so you can actually pseudo-argue against my points.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I've never liked that fact.

I understand WHY it's a thing, I guess...but the fact that you can't even voluntarily leave a horrible job without putting a huge risk on yourself doesn't seem advantageous to the worker at all.
    We can give them unemployment benefits all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feudalism is more about giving land in exchange for work.

In many cases, after fulfilling one's responsibilities to their lords, they get to keep it after they retire. Admittedly, not for very long given the average lifespan during those times.

- - - Updated - - -

I already said, it doesn't fall under slavery if they don't die from choosing to not work.

I certainly did not assert that people necessarily die if they didn't work, that's just an absurd strawman on your part, and putting the cartwheel before the horse.

Then what are you trying to assert. You have been saying that being an intern is slave labor because they can't quit for fear of not being able to eat.

Also you have this gem of a post.

Uh, it certainly is. If you have to rely on the money to subsist, and without it you and family starve to death, then it's a unilateral relationship one party cannot back out of. It's exactly like slavery.

So yes. That is exactly what you are asserting.

10+ Year Old Account
    ive never understood why so many professions have vastly overestimated their importance to society to the point of requiring you to dress as though someone died.

i understand why professions that actually matter like police, fire, ambulance and such have to dress the way they do but if its just some office bullshit, why does it matter?
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

It's sad because the whole topic of near-compulsory labor combined with a non-existent amount of actual power resting in the hands of the labor force in general is a pretty interesting topic that almost all of us here are affected by.

Instead we've been derailed by "slavery" and how many "few" refers to.
    Don't feel bad. Calling it slavery has been a thing since the 90s. The comparison will NEVER stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    By who? You?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/few

Nowhere in any definition in any dictionary that few carries even the slightest connotation that it's necessarily/generally 2-3. That's just you projecting your cognitive dissonance on me, and making up strawman so you can actually pseudo-argue against my points.

few
    fyo͞o/Submit
    adjective & pronoun
    a small number of.
    "may I ask a few questions?"
    synonyms: a small number, a handful, one or two, a couple, two or three; More
    used to emphasize how small a number of people or things is.
    "he had few friends"
    synonyms: scarce, scant, meager, insufficient, in short supply; More
    noun
    the minority of people; the elect.
    "a world that increasingly belongs to the few"
    synonyms: a small number, a handful, one or two, a couple, two or three;

You missed the rest of my post. I didn't have any savings either.
    Savings by proxy count too, if it came from relatives and friends.

Your attempt to be obtuse has been noted, and summarily called out and then discarded, have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Savings by proxy count too, if it came from relatives and friends.

Your attempt to be obtuse has been noted, and summarily called out and then discarded, have a nice day.

lol you are too funny. So for the 10th time. What is preventing any of these interns from doing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    This is actually a good lesson learned as an intern. If you cant comply with a dress code, you dont accept a job. If someone is allowed to break the dress code, you inform yourself why it is allowed. Also peititioning your employee when you are new = no no. I think college kids have it a little too easy now, thinking the world is yours because you simply "exist".
    Nice little welcome to the "real world" indeed.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    ive never understood why so many professions have vastly overestimated their importance to society to the point of requiring you to dress as though someone died.

i understand why professions that actually matter like police, fire, ambulance and such have to dress the way they do but if its just some office bullshit, why does it matter?
    Im talking out of my ass but my impression is that it's simply a remnant of projecting military discipline on civilian employees that stuck. Even in my country where we have conscription, there is no dress code in majority of companies. No one gives a fuck.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Using an existing word that already carries a lot of shocking/negative connotation with it rather than trying to explain your stance in detail is pretty common.

And yes, I do believe that what Pos is talking about IS an issue. It's just that his verbiage is totally distracting from said issue.
    Question for you. Should you be able to show up to work in whatever you feel like? And if anyone says something about your attire, you'll tell them to suck your dick and that they should feel blessed you showed up?

Hyperbole aside, a piece of fighting dress code has always felt like trying to be rebellious instead of having an actual message. POS is doing a good job of confirming this.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon, Nixx. Get with the real world.
    Next thing you know, employers will demand you be on time and actually do work.

These kinds of stories always involve some person that feels like they were wronged and they always have a blog for some reason. I feel like there's more to the story that we're not getting just like with any of these stories. Regardless, if you accept a job you're accepting the rules and regulations of the company you're working for. Causing a big shitfit over someone else getting to do something that you think is unfair usually doesn't end well anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Next thing you know, employers will demand you be on time and actually do work.
    It's even better than that. They expect you to be 10-15 minutes early, and stay the same amount after work, while only paying for the normal work time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It's even better than that. They expect you to be 10-15 minutes early, and stay the same amount after work, while only paying for the normal work time.

Funny, I haven't had a job yet that requires this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    You can't work long if you do not dress comfortable. People work til 8pm 9pm these days...
    Only an hour?

I'm sure you meant 8AM to 9pm. And as for comfort. I have had to wear suits and dress shoes for work. And I made sure to buy comfortable shoes. And my suits were very comfortable as I made sure they were the right size and fit.

Funny, I haven't had a job yet that requires this.
    I've had. I never did it however. I would be at times 20 minutes early, but I start working when the work starts, not a minute before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Only an hour?

I'm sure you meant 8AM to 9pm. And as for comfort. I have had to wear suits and dress shoes for work. And I made sure to buy comfortable shoes. And my suits were very comfortable as I made sure they were the right size and fit.
    I think he ment working until that late in the evening. Not counting a starting time.