Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    I liked your post up until the bolded part, then I just ignored the rest of it. Speaking for other people and making up statistics doesn't make your point more valid.
    All people are saying doesn't mean All THE people are saying. Like, that's all the people that aren't liking this are saying. Not all of them are saying the same thing I am saying. All here refers to the things being said, not the people saying the things.

Again, I read your first paragraph and ignored the rest, hence why it isn't quoted, since you are getting all bent over yourself being dismissive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I'd prefer to have more time between those events.

I mean jeez, year after year Azeroth has to face world ending threats? I'd get off of that rock lol.
    Haha seriously dude. It's like damn man Azeroth is just doomed due to a new possible world ending threat every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    All people are saying doesn't mean All THE people are saying. Like, that's all the people that aren't liking this are saying. Not all of them are saying the same thing I am saying. All here refers to the things being said, not the people saying the things.

Again, I read your first paragraph and ignored the rest, hence why it isn't quoted, since you are getting all bent over yourself being dismissive.
    Next time say something like "All the people who don't like this are saying". There's a reason writing courses generally teach students to be crisp and direct in what they're saying unless the intent is to be ambiguous. Unclear wording can easily be confused and taken for a different meaning.

And perhaps my words were harsh and I could have worded it differently myself but my point stands. Frequent timeskips between expansions would be a horrible route to take and I think Blizz realizes that. If you don't like it as an RP'er then either ignore Blizz's timeline like a lot of people do or retcon your character's age.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    Next time say something like "All the people who don't like this are saying". There's a reason writing courses generally teach students to be crisp and direct in what they're saying unless the intent is to be ambiguous. Unclear wording can easily be confused and taken for a different meaning.

And perhaps my words were harsh and I could have worded it differently myself but my point stands. Frequent timeskips between expansions would be a horrible route to take and I think Blizz realizes that. If you don't like it as an RP'er then either ignore Blizz's timeline like a lot of people do or retcon your character's age.
    Except that we aren't all native English speakers you know. English isn't even my second language, but my fourth.

Erbel, Kalec, c'mon guys . The thread isn't about discussing semantics that have nothing to do with the subject of the thread. If you two wish to start a feud, please do it through private whispers.

Wasn't it said by Blizz at some point while they were developing Cata and changing the world that they were advancing the story from Vanilla by five years?
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Wasn't it said by Blizz at some point while they were developing Cata and changing the world that they were advancing the story from Vanilla by five years?
    No. Cataclysm zones take place five years after their Vanilla counterparts, but that time was taken up by Vanilla, BC and Wrath events.

In the Moira comic, it's been 4 years since the first events of the cataclysm for him to awaken.

So it's more like:
    T0 Cataclysm
    T1 MoP
    T2 WoD
    T3 Legion

where T3 = 4 years time.

Also, Vanilla did not occur until 4 years after Archimonde's defeat at Mt. Hyjal. (During which time Arthas became the Lich King, Sylvannas took control of Loredaron, Illidan and the Blood Elves were exiled to Outland, the Alliance re centered it's capital to Stormwind and the Horde built the new nation of Durotar.)

Arguably Vanilla also took place during this time (During the events of the Frozen Throne). It would make sense that the formation of new nations would transpire in parallel to shifting forces focused on control of the Frozen Throne. The SINGLE thing that stopped the Lich King, that opposed him was Illidan, Vashj and Kael'Thas. Together, they single handedly thwarted the Scourge's otherwise uncontested rise and eventual conquering of Azeroth. They also provided time for new heros to rally.

Also, take into account that BC was not a campaign per se. There was no impending Fel Horde invasion, even though Illidan had taken control of it with Bladefist. In retrospect, Outland truely was an adventuring-mercenary-hero's sandbox - which given your character's personal story is an apt description. It was a broken outlaw refuge - the intro Shattrath quest describes it perfectly, with scattered bands of survivors of past wars of the nightelves, alliance, demons and horde there. If anything BC in 'real time' wouldn't have taken up all that much and possibly not even a year. BC is a swift death blow to Illidan's weakened power -- an odd way to say thank you, but think about who reopened the portal to Outland in the first place, after so much of Illidan's attempts to campaign to seal off the Legion's access to Outland.

"You are Not Prepared" doesn't mean that we weren't prepared to take Outland - it meant we were not prepared to stop the looming powers of the Lich King and Kil'jaeden's Legion. The open portal was Illidan's last desperate gambit -made by a man that had run out of options with too little time and too many enemies. Already, at the end of the Frozen Throne campaign we known that Kil'jaeden is capable to manifesting himself in Outland at will. Illidan's retreat back to Outland after his defeat at the Frozen Throne would have brought zero chance of escape - the opposite. It also would have quickly lured Kil'jaeden back to Outland (another reason to bolster the notion of Vanilla occurring during the war over the frozen throne) - now partially within the Nether, in order to meet his end at the hands of the Alliance and Horde. (As we know, Kil'jaeden - the cunning deceiver would not show up to Illidan's tea party. He skipped town and had found a way into Azeroth thanks to Kael and the Blood Elves. Not only that, but the Alliance and Horde did all the dirty work of cleaning house of Illidan's Outland for him. And even despite failing at the Sunwell - he remained unkilled but banished.)
    As for Illidan, he escaped, contingency plans intact.

Wrath was definitely a campaign - a fully militarized multi factioned assault on the Frozen Throne. By the time we champions have arrived, the battle of icecrown has already taken place. We effectively enter during a stalemate with extreme in fighting between the alliance and horde. The stalemate doesn't change until the sacking of Scourgeholme by the Argent Vanguard, the taking of the Shadow Vaults via the aerial command of Koltira and Thrassarian for the Ebon Blade and ultimately the overthrow of Kel'Thuzad in Naxxramas. Naxx should have been the end of the Horde/Alliance/Crusade footholds in Dragonblight - but with that flank of attack defeated, only Icecrown remained. In a similar gambit to Illidan, Arthas withdrew and reserved his remaining forces. However Arthas' trump card was the Lich Kings overwhelming necromatic power and trap the Horde/Ally champions to convert them to Scourge. All in all, given the military developments and sideline developments of the Blue Flight and Ulduar, Wrath could easily have lasted 3-4 years.

Now, since I'm really getting into this (and I began talking about Cata-Legion), I'd rather just end this post by saying that I wouldn't assume each major expac or each chapter raid development represents a fixed / same duration of time. It almost certainly does not, and of these they are certainly not going to be the same length.

*Did more research. Gul'dan opened the Tomb of Sargeras 20 years prior to Maiev's pursuit of Illidan there. So around the conclusion of the Second War up until a brief time after Archimonde's defeat at Hyjal spanned 20 years of time.
    Last edited by Elestia; 2016-07-01 at 11:34 PM.

Deleted
    I'm glad they confirmed that it's year 32 now.

5 year time skip was never a thing. They just got real life years mixed up with lore years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    Arguably Vanilla also took place during this time (During the events of the Frozen Throne). It would make sense that the formation of new nations would transpire in parallel to shifting forces focused on control of the Frozen Throne. The SINGLE thing that stopped the Lich King, that opposed him was Illidan, Vashj and Kael'Thas. Together, they single handedly thwarted the Scourge's otherwise uncontested rise and eventual conquering of Azeroth. They also provided time for new heros to rally.
    I don't think it's arguable at all that Vanilla takes place during Frozen Throne. Frozen Throne picks up not long after Archimonde's defeat, while Vanilla is clearly four years after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    Arguably Vanilla also took place during this time (During the events of the Frozen Throne).
    The TFT manual plainly states that it takes place months after the Battle of Mount Hyjal (UVG says the next year). Vanilla cinematic (and UVG) says it takes place 4 years after Hyjal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    This is exciting news. The last official timeline released was in the Ultimate Visual Guide, and went up to the year 30.

The new Legion Comic #1: Magni - Fault Lines confirms that it's 4 years since the Cataclysm pre-events began, when King Magni Bronzebeard was turned into a diamond statue, through a ritual meant to communicate with Azeroth. Making it now 32 years after the opening of the Dark Portal.

That means we now have an updated timeline:

20. The Third War.
    21. The Battle of Mount Hyjal On Kalimdor.
    22. Rise of the Lich King.
    25. WoW Vanilla.
    26. The Burning Crusade.
    27. The Wrath of the Lich King.
    28. The Cataclysm.
    30. The Invasion of Pandaria.
    31. The Warlords of Draenor invasion.
    32. The Incoming Legion Invasion.

Pretty cool. Blizzard likes to be deliberately vague with dates, especially for new content. I think this is the first time they've so clearly confirmed the real-time lore year of an expansion this early. Good stuff for loremasters like myself.
    Then for loremasters like you, the demon hunters also say it's been 9 years since their imprisonment, which can't happen if BC was only 6 years before Legion. Blizzard has never been good at keeping their timelines correct, because it's different teams writing different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Then for loremasters like you, the demon hunters also say it's been 9 years since their imprisonment, which can't happen if BC was only 6 years before Legion. Blizzard has never been good at keeping their timelines correct, because it's different teams writing different things.
    Time flows differently in certain parts of the Twisting Nether.

7 years, not 6. But I can't really answer your question without you telling me where you've seen Demon Hunters say this. Perhaps this tweet answers your question, if that's what you are referring to .

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Time flows differently in certain parts of the Twisting Nether.
    They're not in the twisting nether when they're trapped and imprisoned. They come back right after the defeat of Illidan, are captured, and held in the Warden's vaults. No nether there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    This is impossible. Orgrimmar has grown over 4 times it's initial size between Wotlk and Cataclysm, it's absolutly impossible to to something like that, even with magic.
    Goblin tech. They reshaped Azshara in a couple months and "Town-in-a-box".

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    7 years, not 6. But I can't really answer your question without you telling me where you've seen Demon Hunters say this. Perhaps this tweet answers your question, if that's what you are referring to .
    The Burning Crusade: Supposed year 26
    The Legion: Supposed year 32

26-27 = 1
    27-28 = 1
    28-29 = 1
    29-30 = 1
    30-31 = 1
    31-32 = 1

1+1+1+1+1+1 = 6, not 7.

To answer the other part, I'll have to replay the demon hunter portion on the beta later today, and I'll get back to you on that. I just wish they'd stick to real time = time passing. It makes no sense that so many of these massive things are done and over within months to a year of eachother.

Deleted
    Blizzard needs to introduce the concept of "months" in their timeline. 4 years could be anything from 4 years + 1 day or 4 years + 300 days, completely changing the timeline years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Blizzard needs to introduce the concept of "months" in their timeline. 4 years could be anything from 4 years + 1 day or 4 years + 300 days, completely changing the timeline years.
    Or they need to sit their entire team down and say 'Okay, this is now the timeline. Stick to it for the game, for the comics, and for the books', because there are Inconsistencies everywhere. I find it painfully, painfully hard to believe that ALL of Vanilla, ALL of BC, and ALL of wrath happened in the span of 2-3 years. (Going off of Anduin's supposed age, 10 at Vanilla start, 'Not quite 13' after the fall of the Lich King)
    Last edited by Wolfheart9; 2016-07-02 at 06:49 PM.

Deleted
    Or they need to sit their entire team down and say 'Okay, this is now the timeline. Stick to it for the game, for the comics, and for the books', because there are Inconsistencies everywhere. I find it painfully, painfully hard to believe that ALL of Vanilla, ALL of BC, and ALL of wrath happened in the span of 2 years. (Going off of Anduin's supposed age)
    They did it with UVG. What they need is better historians checking the details.