Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Each one of those guys probably spent more time shitting than they did signing the petition. Can we stop acting like they cost the company millions in unproductive time?
    They didn't even take time to bother asking why the person had different shoes on, I doubt anyone spent much time on this.

Either way, sounds like an extreme reaction to seeing someone not following a dress code, and an extreme response to that reaction.

"Harmony of the workplace"

Christ, you're being just as dramatic as you were about "slavery" and "starvation" stuff.
    Or am I?

Do you honestly believe a workplace can be productive if a group of employees are off gossiping and stirring shit up about inane things, and eventually starting up movements and petitions and wasting the time of their employers?

But considering you are coming from a position apologizing for a bunch of n'er-do-wells escalating a perfectly reasonable dress code into a fiasco, I can see why my stance can come off as "dramatic".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    My claim was that anyone who can't survive for a few days without employment is effectively a slave laborer.

I don't have to provide proof of numbers of said claim, because I didn't specifically say there were any number of people who fall into the category, but merely defined that category - the nuance of which you don't get.

If you want proof of my defining said category, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

For people who claim that all people in first world countries automatically do not fall into the "dichotomy" of "work or die", by virtue of being in a first world and the implications that come with said label, they then need to prove that it is indeed all people.
    There's a difference between validity and truth.

I don't think anyone is refuting the validity of your claim. They're refuting the truth of the conditions you specified for your claim to be valid. Two entirely different. things.

Also, given the context where you first specified said conditions, it can be implied that you took that condition as true for at least one portion of the workforce.

Hunger isn't an issue in the first world. The issue isn't that people aren't getting fed. The issue has been what people are being fed;people's diets are unhealthy..

Where are the people that can't survive a few days without employment, exactly? I was unaware that the water company turned your water off immediately after missing one payment, or after hearing about your firing.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-07-02 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Oh no, they wasted like 1, maybe 2 full minutes signing their names! I think I waste more than that going to the toilet and pissing!

And of course, the reasonable standard practice of going formal in a place with no customers... a practice I haven't heard about in decades because it made no sense.
    Considering you are one who believes in zombie apocalypses, I can see why you would sign into something without knowing anything about it.

If you were one of those interns in question, I would have absolutely no sympathy for you either, even if you didn't intend to support the petition, but just signed it anyway because of naivete.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    There's a difference between validity and truth.

I don't think anyone is refuting the validity of your claim. They're refuting the truth of the conditions you specified for your claim to be valid. Two entirely different. things.

Also, given the context where you first specified said conditions, it can be implied that you took that condition as true for at least one portion of the workforce.

Hunger isn't an issue in the first world. The issue isn't that people aren't getting fed. The issue has been what people are being fed;people's diets are unhealthy.
    Of course I implied and intended it, but since people moved the goalposts to argue semantics like "few generally means two or three" or "doesn't count as slavery if a gun isn't held to your head even if your life is at ransom", I am just going to play the same game and be obtuse.

Tit-for-tat.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Well sure, if you ask something and your boss says no and you keep bringing it up, you're likely bordering on some form of insubordination or just unreasonably pissing your boss off.

Like anything, it's going to be a case by case thing.
    It doesn't feel like dress codes get that case by case thing.

Looking awful "dress code dinosaurs" in here. Which is why this kind of stuff seems like "Why can't I wear my ironic gaming tshirt and sandals here?!".

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Dress code dinosaurs will die out. Being unable to adjust to changing times is the most telling sign of impending doom for the company.
    I agree, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for interns who have literally been there for days/weeks to decide they can walk in and dictate changes to company policy.
    Beta Club Brosquad

A "fiasco" now?

You just keep doing you, I guess.
    Fiasco: a complete failure, especially a ludicrous or humiliating one. Source: google search

Pretty apt, and without embellishments or exaggeration I might say, but feel free to be outraged at your perceived exaggeration since it's the only way you get to victimize yourself.

"Oh woe is me, someone is attacking me with melodrama when he stated an orange is orange".

The sad thing about you in this thread is that your attempts to be over-the-top with your dramatics pretty much drown out all of the otherwise-sometimes-pretty-good points that you might be making.
    By your own subjective and prejudiced standards. You can't refute my points based on merit, so you resort to emotional arguments like "oh it feels dramatic to me so your points are discredited".

I used words exactly as they are described in dictionaries or from wikipedia, so before you continue to assert I am dramatic, you should probably bark up the right tree instead, i.e. the sources I got the words from.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they didn't work with the clients directly but still had to adhere to a strict dress code?
    Why?
    There is no logical reason to this, it's simply dumb power play of the higher ranking people.

Anyhow, I would have investigated the "different worker" before mounting an intern-rebellion.
    A simple "oy, why you can wear different shoes?" would probably have enlightened them.

Being an intern sucks, but you are essentially a guest at the company, so .. suck it up and move on if you find out that it isn't bearable.
    Unless, like the article says, it's violating safety etc. THEN you are right to speak up, even as an intern.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-07-02 at 06:44 PM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, it certainly is. If you have to rely on the money to subsist, and without it you and family starve to death, then it's a unilateral relationship one party cannot back out of. It's exactly like slavery.
    You could call it slavery if the intern had not signed up for the unpaid position in the first place of their own accord. Since they could have went out and looked for a paying job instead but decided to go with an unpaid position, that is NOT slavery.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They don't?

Not mine.

And given that water is a monopolistic competition, they're aren't that far off from one another. Mine has a first party collections procedure they go through before sending a final demand notice. They don't turn it off until after a certain time passes after the final demand is sent/

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    You could call it slavery if the intern had not signed up for the unpaid position in the first place of their own accord. Since they could have went out and looked for a paying job instead but decided to go with an unpaid position, that is NOT slavery.
    Which was exactly what I elaborated on in my subsequent posts. If you can survive more than a few days transitioning from a job to another, it is not slavery. But umm, thank you parroting my words as though it is some valid counterargument?

What kind of a prick fires ppl over something so rediculus as this? a simple "No we want this dress code and that person with the other shoes has special premission due to a disability" whouldve sufficed.
    Imo a douchebag boss being an ass to interns who probobly doesnt have any prio workexperience and thus didnt really know better. I feel sad for them, its not their fault that the universitys doesnt prepare them for real life.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    What's wrong with business casual? Why are people sto strict supporters of some stupid archaic strict standards for it. It's not like people are asking to come naked or with some shitty clothes anyway. People are way too strict when it comes to some completely meaningless things. Interraction in some business dealing is one thing, but to require it on some normal desk job is just plain stupid.

Although company can boot them out like that if they wan't. I just see it as unnecessarily strict and formal.
    The better you dress the better you view yourself, the better the company is viewed from the outside, and it just promotes an all around higher quality atmosphere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    What kind of a prick fires ppl over something so rediculus as this? a simple "No we want this dress code and that person with the other shoes has special premission due to a disability" whouldve sufficed.
    Imo a douchebag boss being an ass to interns who probobly doesnt have any prio workexperience and thus didnt really know better. I feel sad for them, its not their fault that the universitys doesnt prepare them for real life.
    If you don't have the balls to ask the employee why they're allowed casual dress or to ask your boss why x y z but instead form effectively a mob petition ? You don't deserve the job. You've failed a basic test in adulting. Ie. talk to your boss before doing something drastic.

Why would you want to keep people around who instantly mob up? That's an HR fucking nightmare. Only a rank moron would keep this quality of people around.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    It fits the feeling of entitlement that many millennials seem to have.
    But it's also a sign of the disconnect between people coming out of school and the workplace.

I do see possibilities here for people that are serious about a career CAN do well here. It's not hard to top the competition if it's this weak!

A "fiasco" now?

You just keep doing you, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

But no one asked that.

The fact that so many of the "those dumb kids!" arguments have been presented with all manner of events, concepts, actions and such that weren't presented in the story at all makes me really wonder about just how many of the reactions are simply knee-jerk, trained responses and how many are actually taking all the events into consideration.
    Which is I went through the careful steps of:

1. Not labeling the people in the story with that reason.

2. Said it only seemed that way based on the twits in this forum, not the people in the op.

Fuck me, right?

Deleted
    Considering nowadays how experience in industries is a necessity in a lot of cases, slapping the hand that feeds you is a bit ridiculous.

I'm glad they got fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Weird. I wonder if they're legally obligated to protract it like that given what they are.
    There could be, but i'm leaning towaards no. Again, I could be wrong.

Some utility companies that provide luxeries (internet and phone) have similar procedures in place.

It costs more to turn you off until payment (or worse, writing your bil off as bad debt and hiring a debt collections agency to deal with you) than it is to keep service and have a payment a few days (or weeks even)late.

It'll just sit in their aging report and they'll shout at their Accounts Receivable department.

Actually, I made a point of saying that I agreed with some of the points you were making in this thread. So yeah, it's not just a matter of "I can't refute your points" but more a matter of the fact that you do a shit job of actually discussing them and seem more interested in throwing out shock words/phrases like "slavery".
    And if they are shock words, why is so difficult for you and the other posters who expressed shock to explain in veritable terms that my usage is exaggerated rather than following the prescribed definition in dictionaries and reputable sources?

Or, are you one of those belonging to the PC crowd who gets offended and triggered over eggs being called eggs, if it's the uncomfortable truth?

And if they are shock words, why is so difficult for you and the other posters who expressed shock to explain in veritable terms that my usage is exaggerated rather than following the prescribed definition in dictionaries and reputable sources?

Or, are you one of those belonging to the PC crowd who gets offended and triggered over eggs being called eggs?
    You've never watched the Incredibles, have you?